The Casco | 201 Federal Street | Portland

Catherine: it looks like progress is being made on the pocket park. Any estimate of a finish date? What's the plan for the water feature? I'm assuming it will only run in the warmer months? Will it be on a schedule? Turned off overnight, etc.?
Slowly but surely. It's actually very complicated and detailed. Lots of moving parts. I have no idea when it will be completed. Definitely don't want to rush this and since it's not housing feel like we have the luxury of taking our time and not have it be a stressful push. Haven't thought through the management of the water feature yet. Working on a potential tenant in the commercial space too! ~ C

The design is great but it should be two feet larger in size and "THE" needs to be a darker color because it is barely noticeable. I also think that the silver exterior cladding of the penthouse (which I like) is too close in color to the sign to provide enough contrast visually so maybe mount the sign above the penthouse.
Totally agree - we wanted it kind of subtle but it's a little too subtle. Low on my very long list of priorities right now. We will get back to it at some point! ~ C

Totally agree - we wanted it kind of subtle but it's a little too subtle. Low on my very long list of priorities right now. We will get back to it at some point! ~ C

I think much of the problem is the positioning. By having it directly on the mech top it is at least partially hidden behind the brick portion from too many viewpoints. Then from the distances where it's visible, the color scheme makes it hard to read. You should consider if you can add some sort of metal scaffolding in order to make the sign pop out a little more and be visible over the extended bricks. Something like this (except not at the 45 degree angle):

1726503092001.png

Yes, the way that The Casco sign is positioned now it's almost like they are trying to hide it from view... "We're not really here on top of a hi-rise trying to be like Boston, so don't panic." Remember when the Westin was renovated and there was a public outcry about removing the giant EASTLAND letters? That's not pretty, but it's been there for awhile and many people in Maine don't like change. I'll bet if you put a big backlit LED lighthouse on top of the The Casco, and on top of the mechanical, people would love it. And underneath a message board could be created (a la Time & Temp) for ads to offset the costs. I understand how fixated provincial minded Mainers will react to change (we all do), and so stick that lighthouse representation up there and they will go along with it because this icon is familiar.

Actually, as you might now be able to see, I quite like that red signage. Having grown up with any number of things painted at the top of the elevator tower below where the cell tower is now, ranging from the "EMH" Batwing logo of the Sixties to "Sonesta" to "Radisson," this signage actually really struck me. So, I'm glad they kept it as a reminder of the historic name of the hotel.

Why was this structure demolished? Was it in poor repair? Demolished to create the park? A bit of both or some other reason entirely?
That is the notorious 24-hour (they all were back then) Dunk's that was a known place to hire ladies of the evening. The area west of Congress Square had become something of a red light district, with the State Theatre showing X-rated films (as was the old Paris Cinema on Oak St.), Joe's Smoke Shop having an amazing array of adult literature, the Treasure Chest having a storefront near the State with a display window full of bongs and hookahs. and the fine ladies working at the Parisienne Sauna (the place on Longfellow Sq. with the New Orleans-style balconies) standing above the street announcing their availability to passers-by. Knocking down that admittedly dilapidated block as part of the renewal of Congress Square when the Payson wing on PMA was built was essentially an attempt to push the decay back west of High St. In my mind, the park looks like a moat for a reason.

It may also be worth noting that WCSH had recently moved from their longtime home in the old Congress Square Hotel to the former New England Telephone office building on High St. that they occupy today. I don't know if their new prominence contributed to the desire to clean up the Square, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

The Union Station clock was also refurbished and placed on the corner as a tribute to the former train station that was demolished in the early 60's to make way for a strip mall. There was an underground bowling alley at the east end of the lot and it is rumored that it was covered over during the construction of the plaza.

Porltand_Union_Station_Clock_Viewing_Northeast_2013.JPG

Greater Portland Landmarks photo
75356843_2645966395467770_1938399675048525824_n 2.jpg

The not so family friendly version of the State Theater, no Disney flicks during this period!

Last edited:
Why was this structure demolished? Was it in poor repair? Demolished to create the park? A bit of both or some other reason entirely?
My dad told me that the Dunkin' Donuts was where the cops would sit at the counter to "mingle" with the prostitutes. Apparently, this part of Portland had an "element" to it, including the State Theater that showed X-rated movies.

Back