The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commuter rail and Amtrak passengers heading out towards Albany also get to inhale all the lovely diesel exhaust from both the trains and all the highway traffic. It's borderline suffocating (and I'm hardly being dramatic about it).

The station itself is so gloomy. Waiting in the Amtrak lobby is marginally more pleasant than waiting at track level. And I hate those orange neon tube lights, which seem to be straight out of a suburban mall circa 1984. Their attempt at trying to "lighten" the place up fails in both the literal and figurative senses of the word.

... that one-story supermarket on Huntington has always grated me. Doubtless a concession to PruPAC, who got a fancy roof plaza (and preserved views) out of it.

I've always wondered whether the fact that the supermarket is built on air rights over the turnpike had anything to do with its low height. For example buildings to be constructed over the central artery are purportedly limited in height for structural support reasons.

Not at all - there are plenty of tall buildings already stretching over the Pike - or planned to stand atop it. Try the Sheraton Newton, for example.

^ True, but up to this point the tallest Prudential Center building to straddle the Pike is the Hynes. Excluding that, everything is just one story (mall, Saks, Shaws).

Strange, though. Even the afore-maligned parking garage next to Back Bay station (also directly over the Pike) is taller.

Does anyone think it is possible in the future to add height to the Shaws, because I feel like that would a pretty good place for a small apartments/condo building. Maybe only 5 or 6 stories?

Saturday afternoon:

3040512723_19159553c9_b.jpg

A topping off ceremony was held Tuesday at The Clarendon where the final bucket of concrete was hoisted atop the 33-story tower.

The residential project, which is being developed by The Beal Cos. of Boston and the Related Cos. of New York, is under construction in Boston?s Back Bay.

The Clarendon consists of 103 condominiums, 178 rental units and three dozen affordable units at The Clarendon. The Clarendon will include a restaurant, gourmet market and an on-site, relocated U.S. Post Office.

Construction on tower will be complete in late 2009 when the building will be ready for occupancy. The owners expect the project to achieve a LEED Silver rating from the U.S. Green Building Council.

The Clarendon was designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects and is being constructed by Bovis Lend Lease.

Source: Boston Business Journal

It will be nice to see the plywood things gone,they remind me of the Hancock Tower when it was being constructed.

it's nice from that angle to see something soften the rise of the Hancock

The Clarendon consists of 103 condominiums, 178 rental units and three dozen affordable units at The Clarendon.

36 luxury apartments for people who have not earned the right to live in a luxury high-rise apartment. Here I am, working like a sucker for my whole life to live in Dorchester.

I have no idea how one qualifies for affordable housing in a development like this... Sounds like someone's winning a goddamn lottery.

What is that building closest to the river on the left? The really ugly one.

No, he's talking about the ugly '70s residential pile on Beacon Street. I don't know what its name is, nor do I care to find out.. it's just there and it sucks.

180 Beacon. I don't think it has a name beyond that. Unfortunately as with its sister pile down at 330, the condos within are really quite nice.

They're not too bad. They almost blend in with the cityscape so much that I don't even notice they're there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back