The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Zig zags, im referring to the shape of the brick portion when its seen from the south.

Btw, another example of somthing others hate I like...the westin. Its not a lively building and it certainingly is no award winner/landmark, but it is a decent filler building IMO.

In many cities, the Westin (and even Copley Place) would be un-offensive, "generic" filler buildings. I find it unfortunate that they're in Boston, given the few opportunities there are for height -- no doubt in part due to the mediocrity of buildings like the Westin.

Not great. Not terrible. Just adequate. How very...Boston.

Not great. Not terrible. Just adequate. How very...Boston.
I see this sentiment a lot here, and at first glance I can almost agree with it. There are certainly a lot of so-so and even ugly buildings in Boston. There are many missed opportunities. I wonder, though, what cities do better?

There are certainly a lot of so-so and even ugly buildings in Boston. There are many missed opportunities. I wonder, though, what cities do better?
They all have so-so and ugly buildings, and missed opportunities as their basic underlayment.

But in recent years, some really good buildings have run the gauntlet to realization in New York (Gehry's IAC and Beekman Tower, Stern's 15CPW, buildings by Jean Nouvel and Herzog & DeMeuron) and even London (Gherkin, City Hall, Tate Modern).

"Its [the Westin] not a lively building and it certainingly is no award winner/landmark, but it is a decent filler building IMO."

But it's in a location an the junction of two roads right off Copley Sq demands a landmark.
On top of that the whole grey/brown Copley place/Westin complex is soul-deadening.

"Cloudy Boston"

3419394801_9f7706a5f0_b.jpg

Looks like Ned's UFO's at the top of the picture!
(Love to see the shot in b+w!)

kz, do you have a special lens filter that can capture UFPs?

I most certainly did not take that shot. Look at the link I posted above the photo.

Wish I took it, but my camera and skills aren't capable of the above.

From now on I'm gonna be raiding Flickr for Boston shots (too many good photos that deserve more exposure), so when you see a bold-faced link preceding a photo, that means it ain't mine, and probably came from Flickr. I'll also try to make things more clear than what I did above, where I just posted the picture's title and not the owner's name. My bad.

kz, I hope this means you'll still be taking your own photos, too.

today, from columbus ave (i am so in love with this building).

n14100738_31401412_6382002.jpg

I suppose you are referring to the hancock which looks stunning? Because the claredon to me looks like it belongs in some eastern europe skyline :(.

I guess I will just never learn to love this one.

Actually, the flashy Hancock looks more like an Eastern European skyscraper to me. The Clarendon looks like post-Blitz British council housing:

2221877314_bda185482f.jpg

494996409_2107a243df.jpg

3016016889_579e4458e5.jpg

Actually, the flashy Hancock looks more like an Eastern European skyscraper to me. The Clarendon looks like post-Blitz British council housing

It is good humor like this that keeps bringing me back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back