The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have my digits, use them!

The first fifteen floors are rentals so they've branded them "One Back Bay". I don't know who is handling the marketing / "sales" for the rentals, but not the in-house condo sales staff, I don't believe.

The sign is on the building in front of the Clarendon. Are we sure what building the sign is in reference to?

If a street is being renamed I would get it Trinity Pl, because I can't doubt Stuart would be split again and it's obviously not Clarendon.

Edit: Then again if Stewart/Kneedland is already split once, why not again... or 4 more times? Why is it so difficult to let one street have one name?

But how can a building have two addresses? Is there some obscure side alley called 'Back Bay Street' that it also fronts on?

Ummm, common sense suggests that this is just a promotional name, unfortunately sounding very tacky.

today on 93 so.
075-1.jpg

From far away it looks like a dollar sign. Especially from that shot from 93. Yikes.

The arbitrary name "One Back Bay" doesn't need a new postal address. We are about to rename three properties and all it does is add another line on the address form (otherwise we'd have to pay for all the tenants to get new stationery):

Jane Doe
One Back Bay
125 Clarendon Street
Boston, MA 02109

Of course, as a residential address, nobody would ever, ever use the "1BB" line so it's totally moot.

What bothers the hell out of me (and should bother anyone else in marketing & PR) is that they built a website in flash with no tags, and when you google "One Back Bay" you can't find anything. (EDIT: they didn't build in Flash, but they still didn't tag the site properly to show up in search engines)

Stupid, stupid, stupid! Clearly they are running the marketing out of their real estate offices and not out of a marketing office. Flash sites are no longer used by sophisticated web designers - especially with the proliferation of iPhones. (EDIT: Still true, just not apropos here)

I spoke too soon - I am wrong (and probably an idiot)

The site isn't flash. I was thinking of www.45province.com which does not work on iPhones and takes a minute to load.

The quality appears high (especially at the base), but it's sad that this was shoehorned into the maximum-floorspace-boxy style that's come to reign among New York buildings. The predecessors this was inspired by had much more lift.

Absolute height ceiling forced it to be boxy.

For all that, Stern did pretty well to break up the box, don't you think?

Thank the NIMBYs and their planning commission lackeys for that zoning provision.

Well, to be more accurate, absolute height ceiling + profit motive.

I wonder if there's any developer anywhere willing to cut off a few saleable square feet to leave a richer aesthetic legacy.

Why would anyone do that?

Would you?

Tell me about giving up profit.

Does it help your family?

Um, yes, I would, and people have - without hurting their families. The need to earn a profit does not imply the need to maximize it. Hypothetically (and even historically), businessmen could have motivations other than - and not mutually exclusive with - feeding their families or even getting rich. Maybe someone wants to leave a more beautiful world behind. Maybe someone just wants more beautiful buildings attached to his/her name.

There are other careers available to those who simply want to make as much money as possible. One would hope that real estate developers would also be interested in making contributions to the cities they're helping to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back