The Clarendon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. A completely different aesthetic between a concrete structure and a steel structure heading into the sky. Let's hope a few more projects are built (more rentals!) before this cycle is completely over.

What is the purpose of these wooden forms that are climbing up floor by floor? They do not seem to be there to shape the contour of architectural elements. I have seen lots of concrete 10 and 12 story buildings rise in downtown DC, next to the street, and have never seen these used. They look to be safety-related.

Early yesterday morning:

img1113ht9.jpg

img1114nw4.jpg

img1115wb6.jpg

img1118cm0.jpg

img1119en5.jpg

img1121js1.jpg

img1122dp1.jpg

Privacy curtain, perhaps? Secrets they just don't want to let out to the public?

Perhaps the next person to take a picture should ask one of the construction guys?

In that case it's obvious that the strange contraption is a device that builds the building with now need of human help. Welcome to the future!

the question is, will this steal the title of most over photoed building from 45 province?

(which is not a bad thing!!)

I'm still voting safety. I'm sure they're probably treated with fire retardant but if they ever catch on a windy day at floor 30 or so, it will be the Towering Inferno, Boston-scale.

I have no construction experience, but I'm guessing the wooden forms shield the drying concrete from the wind. That corner is an amazing wind tunnel.

Sorry for the poor photo quality, I took it from my office window at work with my phone's camera. I'll have a really nice view of the building going up once it rises from behind the buildings.

clarendonfromwindowqh4.jpg

From your angle that will fill in that gap nicely!,be sure to take more pixs as it grows!

Wow this is going up soo fast! I am impressed! And happy to see it too!
Also, those wooden frames are weird....
I've never seen anything like it before

My guess as to what the wooden frames would be is some sort of counterweight. Maybe something to add additional weight to the concrete frames while they are forming to keep them straight.

My guess as to what the wooden frames would be is some sort of counterweight. Maybe something to add additional weight to the concrete frames while they are forming to keep them straight.

But they don't use the forms on those sections away from the street. Where there is sufficient setback, the concrete is going up in a traditional fashion. See the side to the left of the crane in the second picture above.

Some sections of wooden frames have concrete mix dripping down the sides at the seams. They must be used somehow in molding the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back