The Eddy | 6 New Street | East Boston

Re: New Street - East Boston

^please god be the building with the Boston Fuel Trans. Inc. Sign

East Boston Waterfront, Mattapan Health Center Projects Move Forward
Today
The Boston Redevelopment Authority has approved projects for a mixed-use residential development on the East Boston waterfront and a community health center in Mattapan.
The New Street development on the East Boston waterfront will include a restaurant, a new section of the Harborwalk and a small marina with a water taxi landing.
In Mattapan, the Mattapan Community Health Center received approval for its new, expanded health center.
The $90 million New Street development project, located at 6-26 New St., includes a 278,000-square-foot mixed-use addition to an existing 9-story building. The existing 9-story structure will be renovated to include a 7-story addition that will include approximately 165 residential units.
A new 6-story building will either contain approximately 59 residential units or approximately 106 hotel/extended stay rooms. The project also includes approximately 8,000 square feet of public accommodation space, of which approximately 5,000 square feet will be used as a restaurant on the ground-level of the six-story building.
Additionally, the project includes the creation of a 36-slip recreational marina and water taxi landing, and approximately 500 linear feet of new Harborwalk and publicly accessible open space along the water, which will improve public access to the waterfront and provide connections to LoPresti Park.
The project will be phased, beginning with the redevelopment of the 9-story building and the construction of the parking garage. The Harborwalk and water taxi landing will be constructed during Phase I. Phase II involves the construction of the new 6-story building, which includes the restaurant, and 36-slip recreational marina.
Construction is expected to begin on the first phase in 2012.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news138404.html
http://boston.citybizlist.com/YourCityBizNews/detail.aspx?id=78614

I really hate this thread. I keep thinking they're going to make a new street when I see the title.

Is it safe to say this is still going to occur, they didn't plan to start construction until next year anyway. I'm just wondering how they think they're going to add 7 stories on top of that 9 story loft building, its already huge and overbearing in the neighborhood. And why do they think there is a market for restaurants in this corner of East Boston, let alone a hotel. It's a residential area with very little through traffic, and it's a little on the poor side as well. It would be cool though, still.

While we're talking about East Boston, how about how fast that East Boston Clinic is springing up in Maverick Square? They've been pushing dirt around the site for more than a year, and I walk by two days ago and two floors of the building are up!

Re: New Street, East Boston multi-use project

Builder bets on Eastie waterfront

Gerding Edlen is betting on a turnaround for East Boston waterfront development and prospects for a stalled New Street project.

The Portland, Ore., developer paid $7.27 million for the 3.9-acre parcel at 6-26 New St., near LoPresti Park on the inner harbor.

The firm is now looking at approved plans for the site and any changes needed to make it more appealing in today’s market, according to president Kelly Saito.

“We are excited about the future and the potential for East Boston, especially the waterfront … so we wanted to invest in what we think will be a really interesting, desirable place,” Saito said.

In 2010, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved a $90 million project pitched by Billerica’s New Street Realty Trust, which sold the site to Gerding last week. With Boston’s Cresset Development, it planned to raze two buildings, add seven stories to a nine-story one for 165 residential units, and erect a new six-story building for 59 residential units or 106 hotel/extended-stay rooms.

But those plans and other approved Eastie waterfront projects — save Roseland’s Portside at Pier One, which broke ground last year — never got off the ground.

“A lot of it was timing,” Saito said. “The economy kind of stalled ... things.” But it’s since rebounded and been robust for development in other parts of the city, he said, and “East Boston feels like it’s bound to come around soon.”

But East Boston Project Advisory Committee President Bob Strelitz said he doubts it will be soon.

“I think they’re really buying it with a very long-term perspective,” he said. “Why would they start before there’s some credibility on the waterfront?”

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/2014/01/builder_bets_on_eastie_waterfront

It's a renovation of an existing building, so it won't be the new tallest. Bust possibly it's the current tallest? How tall are the airport hotels?

It's a renovation of an existing building, so it won't be the new tallest. Bust possibly it's the current tallest? How tall are the airport hotels?

The existing building is not 16 stories. The article mentions it will be expanded to 16 stories. The existing building is only 9.

The rendering is a little confusing because they seem to be using the same solar panel (?) layout as the building directly across the street.

Here is the lot and existing empty industrial building:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/6...1!3m1!1s0x89e3705e806d7547:0x4b77e9231c664170

^ I edited after realizing I had been tricked by the identical roof layout.

The existing building is not 16 stories. The article mentions it will be expanded to 16 stories. The existing building is only 9.
Ah, so it is. I took "expand" to mean something other than height. When I expand, it's usually because of pizza, not a late life growth spurt.

16 stories will look huge from the North End. As is, that building sticks WAY out.

eastie-big.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/12/03/construction-set-for-new-east-boston-apartment-complex/IFxLX89FeiT35dRTEr9v4N/story.html

Back