The Eddy | 6 New Street | East Boston

Re: New Street, East Boston multi-use project

eastie-big.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/12/03/construction-set-for-new-east-boston-apartment-complex/IFxLX89FeiT35dRTEr9v4N/story.html

Specs from the BRA website

Address: 6-26 New Street
Neighborhood: East Boston
Land Sq. Feet: 87,180 sq ft
Building Size: 235,000 sq ft
Uses: Hotel / Residential
Residential Units: 210
FAR = 2.695572379

Would love to see more renders of this.

There isn't much more given on the project and very little info has been furnished.

Saw a few men at the building yesterday. The project is just getting underway. Hopefully, things will begin to accelerate during the winter. :cool:

I remember the same thing that was done to the former GE Lightbulb plant over on Porter Street. No additional floors were added that I know of.

It was transformed into condo loft units though. I visited one of the units when it was on display for the public to see. Very nice, but since they are condo units (some are studio), it is like buying a house! Expensive! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

It looks like the baby of the Emerson dorm tower and Jacob Wirth tower.

In addition to the 7 more floors that will be added to the building, an indoor rooftop swimming pool will be added.

This building's planned apartments will only be for the privledged few who can afford it, such as the highly elite rich clientel who work at high-paying jobs in downtown Boston!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

And money for affordable housing is being given to the city - to be built elsewhere. As usual, of course.

Saito [developer] said the company has opted to pay $7.8 million to have about 39 units built elsewhere. He said that will allow him to lower the rents on market-rate units at 6 New St.

“Our strategy is to offer the units at some discount to what you would otherwise pay downtown,” Saito said. “If I have all the affordable units on site, it forces me to raise the rents on all the rest of the units, so the discount goes away.”
- From this article.

Unlike other neighborhoods in Boston, East Boston has plenty of infill opportunities which will allow the city/developer to build affordable units still in the neighborhood.

Saying a planned market rate apartment is only for "the highly elite rich clientel who work at high-paying jobs in downtown Boston" is silly. They call the apartments market rate because there is a market of consumers out there able to afford them. Believe it or not there are several hundred thousand people in Greater Boston already paying this much or more to live here, many of whom I would not bundle as "highly elite".

This is exactly how all market rate/"luxury" developments should approach the affordable housing requirements. This is the only way we're going to build large amounts of truly affordable housing.

In addition to the 7 more floors that will be added to the building, an indoor rooftop swimming pool will be added.

This building's planned apartments will only be for those who can afford it, such as the highly elite rich clientel who work at high-paying jobs in downtown Boston!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

You'd rather they cater exclusively to the mopes and loafers who populate most of Boston's outer neighborhoods? It's going to be decades before East Boston is seen as anything more than the airport to the "highly elite rich" as you call them.

You mean pay into a fund to have it mismanaged and underutilized by the BRA? When was the last time Boston built large amounts of public housing?

I should clarify that I don't support the fund option in its current incarnation. I believe large affordable housing developments should be pre-planned in master plans near transit and developers should fund a portion of a building directly instead of putting money into an arbitrary fund. Essentially, there needs to be a direct use for the money instead of a fund where it just sits there.

You'd rather they cater exclusively to the mopes and loafers who populate most of Boston's outer neighborhoods? It's going to be decades before East Boston is seen as anything more than the airport to the "highly elite rich" as you call them.

Aw I've missed your casual "-ist" comments since you left for Westchester.

These are a few weeks old so the site probably looks pretty different now;

16171304646_8956069efe_b.jpg

15574745054_1957729d79_b.jpg

16009660508_c77c84e0ae_b.jpg

16197138795_25a127d326_b.jpg

16011055909_1a8d6916c2_b.jpg

16009795980_7c69f87d2b_b.jpg

Aw I've missed your casual "-ist" comments since you left for Westchester.

Realist? Sorry to break the news but it's not all rainbows and unicorns in East Boston.

No, but they should at least have affordable housing for those who are NOT BUMS OR LOW-LIFES, but others should have it, who are on a fixed income - like me for instance.

Don't know how you feel about it, but I truly LOVE East Boston (Eastie), and I plan to stay here for a long, long, long time.

I eventually will be offered something, hopefully. :cool:

No, but they should at least have affordable housing for those who are NOT BUMS OR LOW-LIFES, but others should have it, who are on a fixed income - like me for instance.

Affordable housing will never work so long as America lives by the motto "Fuck you I got mine." You aren't better than anyone so don't hold up straw men to make yourself look/feel better. I sympathize with your situation but not your attitude.

What a dismal dirty dingy grungy dilapidated rusted out eaten up eyesore of a building!

Reminds me of the old Fiterman Hall in Lower Manhattan after 09-11 before it was dismantled & replaced with the newer one!! Good luck with that!!

But I guess that an old ugly duckling can always be transformed into a beautiful swan. ;)

Last edited:

Back