The Girard | 600 Harrison Ave | South End

Re: 600 Harrison/600 Harrison Ave/South End/Boston

263 parking spaces to 160 rental units in the South End?! That seems odd.

263 parking spaces to 160 rental units in the South End?! That seems odd.

Presumably the lot it's replacing served other buildings in the area. They're probably replacing all those spots, plus adding spots for the new development.

As long as they're all underground and don't overwhelm the neighborhood, I won't make a fuss. But the ratio is just alarming, that's all.

The property belongs to the cathedral, they're leasing it for this building and they are going to have parking spots accessible to them. There's an article on it somewhere. Also says the outisde of the cathedral with be cleaned to restore it back to its original color

This part of the South End is changing dramatically.

That's cool, I wonder what happened to those towers? Nice find Paul

*Looks like it was never completed to its planned height per wiki. I almost wished I didn't see that picture, now its hard not to look at it and think it looks unfinished

Last edited:

According to Douglass Shand-Tucci in the book Built in Boston the church was planned to have 200 and 300 foot spires.

Giant spires are probably never going to happen so they should take the pyramid caps off and add a little cornice and balustrade, or anything to make it look finished. Right now it looks like garden shed roofs plopped up there.

Kings Chapel downtown was supposed to have a spire as well. Spires are architecturally extravagant and for poorer congregations are often what got value engineered out. Also spires were usually made of wood and caught fire easily.

I'm not sure what I think of this building. I'm happy that something is replacing the parking lot, but the long wall of... nothing (I guess it's the outside of the parking garage) along that street seems to little to improve the area. I lived in the South End until a year and a half ago and had an offices in the building behind gaslight and on Thayer, I drove down that street almost every day. I had hoped that any development would add (or create better) street level activity for the area. The ink block IS helping in this regard but I wish there were a more. I know that every building cannot have retail on the lower level, but the area has small pockets of interest with long stretches of nothing in between. Anyway, just thinking out loud, I need to go over and check out the area with the new whole foods.

From the renderings, it looks like there's retail on the harrison side and the albany side. I agree with you joebos on the retail but it might be difficult to fill that much retail on the whole length of malden

Back