The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

600'! Wow! Ultra ambitious project! Designs are a bit wonky but certainly may turn out spectacular.

Of course, as we all know, the odds of us getting these exact designs are between slim and nonexistent.

Renders on page 241, 242, 243, and 245 (repeat of an earlier one) of the pnf.

Edit: thank you davem for posting them for us.

Last edited:

BUILD IT. And I hope this developer has more backbone towards "concerned community members" than the GC Garage developer does.

The best of the renderings available:

Really nice designs by Elkus Manfredi.
I fear this project will be messed with given the variances it seeks, however. I'm already preparing myself for disappointment.

-235K sf retail
-560K sf residential (479 units)
-200K sf hotel (306 rooms)
-810K sf office

600 foot tower

West block: Five levels of retail, one below grade and four above

East block: Three levels of retail, one below and two above. Four levels of flex office space above that.

They are looking to attract a grocer and pharmacy to fill the basement spaces, small retailers for the street level, full service restaurants for the second level and a cinema for the upper floors of the west block.

The concourse for the orange and green lines is going to be brought directly into the basement of the new buildings. At street level, they are blowing a hole in the existing garden about where the amtrak ticket office is for a new entrance to the garden/north station, connected to the underground concourse. It appears they are building a new ticket office with four windows, thank god. Canal St will be extended as an atrium to the new garden entrance as well.

From Canal St:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+Canal.bmp

Looking down Causeway:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+Causeway.bmp

Elevation:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+FR+Elevation.bmp

Site Plan:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+Site.bmp

Basement:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+Base.bmp

Street:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+1st.bmp

Second:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+2nd.bmp

Third:
The+Boston+Garden_PNF+4th.bmp

It is SO GREAT to have acrobat pro working on my computer again after 8 months.

YES!

I fear how it might get dumbed-down in the approvals process, but hopefully sanity will prevail.

Looks good! Hoping for the best!

Boston's Time Warner Center? I hope so. This is very promising.

Finally, the answer to the age-old question; what would happen if the Pru and the Hancock had a baby?

Finally, the answer to the age-old question; what would happen if the Pru and the Hancock had a baby?

In that case the Hancock is really slutting it up lately. Its hookup with Exchange Place is already producing the new Millennium Tower. I must say I'm totally OK with our best skyscraper producing some offspring in our city.

This is the first time ever that I have been excited about new towers being built, but don't want them to end up like the renders. These designs aren't Boston. Our skyline desperately needs some class added to it because we literally have like 4 nice buildings and then a skyline full of filler. These not only don't jive with anything we have so far, they go out of the way to not improve on anything going on in the skyline. There will be a random cluster nowhere near downtown with some dubai looking buildings out of nowhere. The street level is incredible though I am very impressed with that. Above that though I think the buildings need to go together and not be so different like these. That one building off to the right looks like the worlds tallest landscraper. That being said Im not saying I don't want these built that is not the case at all. If these designs can get calmed down a little bit and resemble the government center garage towers, not match, but resemble, than we will be doing very well in the next few years.

I'm tired of background buildings. There's gotta be a foreground sometime, somewhere.

Hopefully here.

stick n' move... On the contrary, I love that these buildings are a bit out of the ordinary for Boston. They wouldn't stand out in a lot of cities, but they are distinctive and fairly "different" for our city and I think that is good. Some deviation from our tired architecture is very necessary. These towers would do that and could have amazing visual impact.

In addition, the construction of the Nashua Residences, Government Center, and (optimistically) the TD Garage Towers would make this development a lot less lonely than you'd think. Certainly not on a "Dubai" level.

Those towers as rendered are barely more than placeholders; hard to make any concrete judgements on them.

What is set in stone though is the site plan. North Station forces them to bisect the site with that grand concourse area and they can't VE that out, in which case there isn't much else of a way for them to fuck up the ground floor. As long as the architecture is halfway passable (I'm rooting for ya, Elkus-Manfredi...halfway passable is all I ask!) then we should have a very good project on our hands, maybe even a great one. Remember, Time Warner Center didn't win over NYC because of its middling architecture--it was all in the programming. And so far the programming here looks darn good.

Now if only we could land an ESPN Zone and a Dave & Busters here it'll be PERFECT.

Glad they went tall. Hopefully the mayor, who just released a housing plan calling for more housing and density doesn't have some complex about the zoning variance like the aquarium or BK in Fenway.

Also it would be nice if the GC garage was still 600+ them you'd have another high spine rising into downtown from the north.

Will this (and the CSC) be able to jam their way through the approval process before we are saddled with the uncertainty of a new mayor?

Wasn't the original plan for 2 towers? This looks like 3!

Back