The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

Matthew,

There is an overall freeze on the total number of parking spaces. However, IIRC, spaces that will no longer be used, e.g., downsizing a garage, closing a garage, are returned to a pool, and can be reallotted elsewhere within the freeze area by the city.

See:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/environment/airpollution/parkingfreezes.asp

I looked only at the map^^^^ and not at the regulations to verify my IIRC.

If I lived in the north end I can't imagine using my car unless I was leaving the city. I live in Brighton and barely use my car, never if I'm heading downtown. Are people there seriously driving to work, or is this just complaining to complain?

Do you use the B line? I can't imagine using that thing since it's so slow. I always thought people who lived in Brighton used cars more because the B line is such a piece of crap.

stellerfun, that's right, but I didn't realize they had planned any such trade.

I use the B line regularly. It's slow but that hasn't stopped it from being the highest ridership branch. The census blocks around it show greater than 50% transit mode share on commute to work. Also generally low car-ownership rates, maybe averaging about 50% along the corridor. I don't think it attracts a lot of people who live more than a few blocks away though, especially towards BC. However, the blocks along Comm Ave are some of the more densely populated in the city.

As for the North End, I think the traffic concerns came from the air quality and safety standpoints. Traffic affects more than just drivers.

Do you use the B line? I can't imagine using that thing since it's so slow. I always thought people who lived in Brighton used cars more because the B line is such a piece of crap.

I mean, I get what you're saying but the B line is so crowded everyone uses cars. Shouldn't that mean it's not crowded?

Sadly, "nobody rides the T -- it's too crowded" is a common NIMBY quip.

....great....it's crowded....so what? It's slow as hell and a piece of crap. I'd rather take the C line.

Where I live I either take the bus or walk ~12 minutes to Harvard Square, which is awesome.

When I lived right in the center of Allston I used to walk to Packards and wait on the median so I had the choice of the 57 or B. Most of my friends who live further out take the C or D if they are close enough. The B is packed and slow, but its reliable.

The biggest local car use is probably for inter-brighton trips. North-south transit is terrible, and if you live on one of the hills there is typically no convenient bus service.

People need to recalibrate on what constitutes "crowded". I used to think the T was crowded. Now? Not really. At rush hour it fills up, and for Red Sox games it gets a little snug...but if you're living in the city and are avoiding the T because it's too crowded, you gotta grow some thicker skin.

....great....it's crowded....so what? It's slow as hell and a piece of crap. I'd rather take the C line.

Then just don't live on the B line dude. Not a hard concept. I personally don't care how "crowded" or "slow" the T is. It beats driving/car ownership any day in my book and there are plenty of other people that think the same way. I've had to commute down Rt 3 every day for 3 months and it's been the longest 3 months of my life. I just got a job in DTX and what I'm most thrilled about is that I can use the T again.

^avoid the g line. Live somewhere on the o or r line

Honestly man, it's not bad at all. I fact, I would say it's very good. I used to take the Green Line B train from Packard's Corner to work at Summer St and I rarely had problems. 20-30 minutes, depending on whether I was fortunate enough to get on an express train and catch some lights. Boston's system isn't Euro or Asian level efficient, but it's pretty damn good.

Matthew,

There is an overall freeze on the total number of parking spaces. However, IIRC, spaces that will no longer be used, e.g., downsizing a garage, closing a garage, are returned to a pool, and can be reallotted elsewhere within the freeze area by the city.

See:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/environment/airpollution/parkingfreezes.asp

I looked only at the map^^^^ and not at the regulations to verify my IIRC.

Parking spaces reserved for the residents of a building are excluded from the parking freeze since the parking freeze only applies to “Commercial parking facilities”. A commercial parking facility is defined as
any lot, garage, building or structure, or combination or portion thereof, on or in which motor vehicles are temporarily parked for a fee, excluding:
· a parking facility, the use of which is limited exclusively to residents (and guests of residents) of a residential building or group of buildings under common control, or a facility operated solely and exclusively for the benefit of the residents of a specific group of residential buildings, and
· parking on public streets.

In addition, parking spaces that are
owned or operated by a commercial entity, the primary business of which is not the operation of parking facilities, and are used exclusively by the entity or its lessees, employees, patrons, customers, clients, patients, or guests, and not available for use by the general public at any time, are not subject to the requirements of the parking freeze.

While such spaces must apply for an exemption from the Boston Air Pollution Control commission, they are entitled by right to receive it. As a result, parking spaces in an office building made available exclusively to office tenants, their employees and clients, or parking spaces in a hotel used only by guests, or parking spaces in a retail center reserved solely for shoppers, are all exempt from the parking freeze.

Isn't this because those parcels aren't actually part of the Greenway and are all slated for development (i.e. isn't the above supposed to be the Merano?)

Yes, the Greenway ends at Haymarket. Anything north of there that looks like green grass is just waiting to be sold and developed.

The NEWRA is usually a pretty stereotypical NIMBY crowd, but the letter re: North Station seems more like keeping the pressure on the Causeway St redo than trying to downsize the building. Reworking the street from Nashua to North Washington, and replacing/renovating the N Washington St bridge, is all LONG over due. They never say, "this project can't happen." Just that, "this project makes the street remake even more necessary."

And yeah, barely anyone in the North End drives much, but that's never stopped complaining about lack of parking and congestion. It's not about logic, it's about getting up in other people's business, and complaining about yuppies who are either taking up all the parking or controlling us with their fascist bike lanes.

While such spaces must apply for an exemption from the Boston Air Pollution Control commission, they are entitled by right to receive it. As a result, parking spaces in an office building made available exclusively to office tenants, their employees and clients, or parking spaces in a hotel used only by guests, or parking spaces in a retail center reserved solely for shoppers, are all exempt from the parking freeze.

That's actually a worse system for the purpose of pollution control. The outcome will be creation of many separate exclusive lots, much like the case in suburban sprawl.

Quote:

That's actually a worse system for the purpose of pollution control. The outcome will be creation of many separate exclusive lots, much like the case in suburban sprawl.

Of course, the project also has to comply with other applicable requirements, including zoning. For any large project, that means the amount of parking will be determined during Large Project Review with the BRA under Article 80 of the Boston Zoning Code.

Yes, the Greenway ends at Haymarket. Anything north of there that looks like green grass is just waiting to be sold and developed.

By this do you mean the land from New Chardon St. along Beverly St? The Victor is going on which one of those parcels?

The Victor is built. It's on the Beverly, Haverhill parcel. The Merano will be on the parcel to the East.

By this do you mean the land from New Chardon St. along Beverly St? The Victor is going on which one of those parcels?

He does.

But you sir, are about to receive a lot of anger for reviving a thread about a (highly anticipated) project with no new information.

The Victor is a nearly complete, at least in terms of external construction, building between Haverhill St, Valenti Way, Beverly St and Causeway St. There is an active thread on this building titled "The Victor":

The Victor

Here is a picture posted 3 weeks ago by Corey:

nejpmu.jpg

The Merano is planned to be across Beverly St from there. It has yet to break ground. It will be to the right of the Victor in the above picture. Here is that thread:

The Merano

The remaining two parcels are across Valenti Way.

The proposed One Canal Project will be in the foreground of the above picture:

One Canal (formerly Greenway Center, Bullfinch Triangle)

Valenti Square, which is a tiny park, has no proposals for change that I know of.

Back