The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Nice photo, but the white street lights and poles are horrible. The tall ones along the street edges and the short ones along the bikeway all look like suburban subdivision street lights. Even just black instead of white would be an improvement.

Nice photo, but the white street lights and poles are horrible. The tall ones along the street edges and the short ones along the bikeway all look like suburban subdivision street lights. Even just black instead of white would be an improvement.

Well... Subdivisions is typically the first song on the organ at every bruins game. So, maybe it's not a mistake.

Thanks, as always, for the dynamite photos, BeeLine.

Here we see that the "random windows" trope being replaced by the **"random cladding" trope. Hooray???

Prediction: this building will never look better than it does right now.

** I know that the Zinc Apartments used a random-cladding scheme first, but this was a (lame) attempt to break up the mass of the building (a bit like digital camouflage).

Yea plus its on stilts, has the stupid notch out of the roof, the random darker back half, 4 random balcones on the top of the back side, random different color at the top of the dark half.... just an all around mess of facades. I said all along that this is the tower that needed a redesign not the office tower.

i respect you're pessimism but i think you guys are being obtuse about the resident tower.

it's only failing is missing ALL of the final 163 feet of its originally approved vertical reach.

We keep building 500' or barely at all where we can go >650'....

1. Bromfield St (i'm told new proposal w/ significant height reduction is coming)
2. Garden Garage (not even an issue with shadow)
3. 1000 Boylston St (shadow mostly on the Pike)
4. Hub on Causeway Residential (zero shadow issues)
5. 50 Sudbury St
6. 1 Congress St
7. 2 Charlesgate West (most of the shadow will be on the Mass Pike)
8. 1065 Boylston St/ corner of Mass Ave and Boylston (there isn't even a proposal)..... most of the shadow would be on the Pike.

These parcels should be/have been built to the correct height reflecting the current/future market demand, as they are some of the last places to appropriately build serious height.

When demand growth outpaces supply growth to the extent it is now, the market just wants a place to live. ....When the market is cooler developers need to work harder to fill their units and square footage. When the market is this hot, any crap will do.

Last edited:
it's only failing is missing ALL of the final 163 feet of its originally approved vertical reach.

I'd almost agree. I like height, but more importantly that would have been say 16 more storeys, with 8 units per floor (guess), or 128 more units. That's the big miss. Fitting 200 more people in the same 2D footprint.

I'd say this is when we drink, but it's actually a great point w/r/t this development in particular.

Is this a streetscape design that they are rolling out on other streets? Really bad look for Causeway.

The brightness in stark contrast

to what not so long ago were the darkest street/s of the City.

Thanks, as always, for the dynamite photos, BeeLine.

Here we see that the "random windows" trope being replaced by the **"random cladding" trope. Hooray???

Prediction: this building will never look better than it does right now.

** I know that the Zinc Apartments used a random-cladding scheme first, but this was a (lame) attempt to break up the mass of the building (a bit like digital camouflage).

I think Beton Brut is right. It's already starting to take on the less-than-ideal look of the Pierce tower. The random multi-color accents cheapen it. But I'll withhold final judgement until it's completed.

Yea plus its on stilts, has the stupid notch out of the roof, the random darker back half, 4 random balcones on the top of the back side, random different color at the top of the dark half.... just an all around mess of facades. I said all along that this is the tower that needed a redesign not the office tower.

This is pretty harsh. While I would have very much preferred all dark cladding, you can put me in the camp that likes the stilts and probably the notch.

Stilts are eh, notch is fine. The cladding is weak though, imo.

Lol you guys always notice these and point it out then I notice. For some reason Im never looking at that and dont notice. Damnit.

This is pretty harsh. While I would have very much preferred all dark cladding, you can put me in the camp that likes the stilts and probably the notch.

The stilts I can kind of live with the notch is bad. The mish mash cladding is real bad though and theres no rhyme or reason its just a mess. Its a tall 888 boylston with an even more mashed up facade.

From this point though Ill hold off judgement until its complete. Maaaaybe it will look better in real life and maybe although the cladding looks bad so far it will look better when its finished. Im going to wipe alll opinions out right now and give it hope until its finished, then Ill come back with a final judgement. Until then lets hope for the best.

i respect you're pessimism but i think you guys are being obtuse about the resident tower.

We keep building 500' or barely at all where we can go >650'....

1. Bromfield St (i'm told new proposal w/ significant height reduction is coming)
2. Garden Garage (not even an issue with shadow)
3. 1000 Boylston St (shadow mostly on the Pike)
4. Hub on Causeway Residential (zero shadow issues)
5. 50 Sudbury St
6. 1 Congress St
7. 2 Charlesgate West (most of the shadow will be on the Mass Pike)
8. 1065 Boylston St/ corner of Mass Ave and Boylston (there isn't even a proposal)..... most of the shadow would be on the Pike.

These parcels should be/have been built to the correct height reflecting the current/future market demand, as they are some of the last places to appropriately build serious height.

Is 2 Charlesgate west even getting built?

Back