The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

cjbski

Reaction score
I actually like the office tower - it just a little too short and the roof too flat. A spire (like on the old designs) would have helped.

Downburst

Reaction score
It's a touch too squat. From an aesthetic perspective, this tower really would have benefited from another 100 feet.

dotdude78

Reaction score
Any other Celtics fans watching the game last night on TV see the "live aerials" of the Garden....with NO other buildings around it? So that had to be a couple years old....

DZH22

Reaction score
Personally I like this building a lot. My problem with the complex will always be related to the residential tower for 2 reasons.
1. They left 150'+ of essentially PREAPPROVED HEIGHT on the table, in the middle of a housing crisis.
2. By chopping the tower, they ended up making both towers within 15' of each other and we're going to end up with 4 similar height buildings in the immediate area and not a single peak among them.

So frankly, the office tower is actually an improvement over the majority of the earlier iterations. Even the "superior" one with the spire looked overly chunky/graceless from 3 of the 4 sides. It's just that the office tower was never supposed to carry the mantle of being the tallest in this area. In fact, it was supposed to be the 4th tallest (including Avalon and Longfellow Tower) and instead winds up being 1st! So please direct your ire to the residential shortcomings before you direct it towards the office tower.

2/8 from Symmes Arlington

IMG_0254 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0260 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0285 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0289 by David Z, on Flickr

stoweker

Reaction score
took a tour of Hub50 with BXP very recently - property is a woof. 9' ceilings, 3 fixture bathrooms, ikea esque touches in the kitchens and carpeted hallways. felt like a mid 2000's high rise product with some new technology added. Didn't feel like a top of market luxury project at all, beautiful building from the outside, nice amenity spaces but the units leave a ton to be desired. will be shocked if they get the $8.50 rents on pro forma. when the EQR property opens think these guys will get smoked (and the avalon fades into total obscurity as a dumpy class B tower). Can't see this thing unseating benjamin as the market leader for high rise rental projects in the city. My $0.02.

chrisbrat

Reaction score
Personally I like this building a lot. My problem with the complex will always be related to the residential tower for 2 reasons.
1. They left 150'+ of essentially PREAPPROVED HEIGHT on the table, in the middle of a housing crisis.
2. By chopping the tower, they ended up making both towers within 15' of each other and we're going to end up with 4 similar height buildings in the immediate area and not a single peak among them.

So frankly, the office tower is actually an improvement over the majority of the earlier iterations. Even the "superior" one with the spire looked overly chunky/graceless from 3 of the 4 sides. It's just that the office tower was never supposed to carry the mantle of being the tallest in this area. In fact, it was supposed to be the 4th tallest (including Avalon and Longfellow Tower) and instead winds up being 1st! So please direct your ire to the residential shortcomings before you direct it towards the office tower.
different strokes, i guess. fully agree with you re: the squandered possible height of the residential, but IMHO both towers are steaming piles of garbage. overall the development is great if only for the ground-level, but objectively, as "architecture"? awful.

great pix, as usual, btw.

stick n move

Reaction score
Yup, definitely a much better view than in the tunnel. The greenway is a major addition and downtown is much better for it, but with everything in life there are tradeoffs. One of them is definitely the loss of those views forever. Also I never rode the elevated orange line, but the videos Ive seen show that we lost some iconic views there too. That being said the loss was worth it, but its still a loss nonetheless.