The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: The Boston Garden (TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I hope the board rejects this tonight and makes them go back to the drawing board. Mayor Walsh needs to put his money where his mouth is about making developers build quality buildings

Its sad that they already have the answer, but refuse to use it. I cant even imagine how much worse this will get with each redesign.

These are horrific. Send them back and make SOMETHING that looks unique to Boston. These could be in any city in America. And why flat roofs?!

I see the height and skyline fetishists are out.

This is all about the podium which looks fantastic!

I would argue its not all about the podium due to this developments location. The podium is perfect, leave it, the towers- as the gateway to Boston- have to deliver.

I like this. Density, ground-floor activation, mixed-use, urban. A big win for the West End.

Agreed, but the podium phase has already gotten design approval. Tonight's meeting is for the towers above.

Not always one for height, but honestly, this is the location to go for it. The developer has already spent substantial neighborhood/political capital to get 600' on the table. Knowing that, I just don't get why they aren't going for that figure when the resources and demand exist.

I see the exclusivists are harping in.

You can have both a good podium and good tower design. It's NOT mutually exclusive and we shouldn't settle on a throw in just because the podium looks good.

This is the same developer that controls the Back Bay Garage. So for those of you who had big expectations for that one, it's probably time to scale them down.

I can't get over how wretched these towers look. This would be a disappointment in Charlotte, let alone Boston.

The meeting is TONIGHT, from 5–8pm, with The Garden project first on the agenda at 5 sharp. Boston City Hall, 9th floor.

Gross-ish.

The office tower is a TREMENDOUS improvement. Still stumpy, but the original was a throwback to an era that rightfully passed out of style.

Res tower is also, I would say, a stylistic improvement - but let's get the height back.

The meeting is TONIGHT, from 5–8pm, with The Garden project first on the agenda at 5 sharp. Boston City Hall, 9th floor.

I wish I could go but will not be out of work by then.

My main height argument is that this should serve as a beacon/icon for North Station and The Garden, but at the current height won't even be among the Top 20 tallest buildings in the city when completed. It's going to be an afterthought when it should be a showstopper. It's going to get lost in the shuffle when it should visually define that area of the city.

To any of you going tonight to speak out against this aesthetic atrocity, good luck and Godspeed.

taller would be nice... but if it's not gonna be tall then something more striking for the roof - crown, spire, something - would also suffice... otherwise from afar, coming down 93, it will just look like another throwaway midrise

I'll be at the meeting tonight if any of you want to say hi. I'm wearing a blue flannel shirt and jeans. It sounds like all of us want the height back, are satisfied with the street experience, and want a more iconic design/gateway from the city's north entrance (at the very least from the office tower).

The podium is wonderful it's by far the best part of this project. Just because the podium is good doesn't mean we're not entitled to ask for something of actual quality for the part that's going to be seen from many miles away.

taller would be nice... but if it's not gonna be tall then something more striking for the roof - crown, spire, something - would also suffice... otherwise from afar, coming down 93, it will just look like another throwaway midrise

Couldn't agree with this more. If it's not going to be tall, give it a beautiful crown or spire to welcome you into the city.

I'll be at the meeting tonight if any of you want to say hi. I'm wearing a blue flannel shirt and jeans. It sounds like all of us want the height back, are satisfied with the street experience, and want a more iconic design/gateway from the city's north entrance (at the very least from the office tower).

Feel free to quote me on any and every nasty thing I wrote about this. Please.

Forget a nice crown, spire, there's no reason why the whole building cant be beautiful up to and including tasteful full building lighting. This is a gateway and should be treated as such, tastefully, not Dubai-ish

They might as well just build a huge middle finger thats like 2 thousand ft tall so everyone within 50 miles of Boston can see it, cuz thats what this is.

Forget a nice crown, spire, there's no reason why the whole building cant be beautiful up to and including tasteful full building lighting. This is a gateway and should be treated as such, tastefully, not Dubai-ish

God, what I wouldn't give for a hint of Dubai... Guess we'll have to wait for the West Congress Garage to have something that doesn't look like a box on a box.

Back