The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

Both lines will be incorporated into the building's design, as will a larger North Station. (I think you were being funny though?) At least that's what was approved when this project was planned ... in 1994.

...Blighted? ....

Charlie (and his father Jeremy) Jacobs seek millions in a hand-out from the tax-payers and then proceed to profit off of the stupidity that makes up bruins fan base. His concessions include $8 beers and $4.25 bottles of water.

BosD -- he's channeling "King Rat" the headman who haunted the ... Ole Baston Gahhdn --that facility originally standing? on the site -- was definitely blighted -- in a edgy, gritty, sh***ty kinda "Urban" definitely not Urbane way

The tax breaks the city gives out are ridiculous. Yes they are often on huge projects that have a positive impact on the city but the money from these breaks ends up going to the rich at the cost of everyone else. It is especially unnecessary with buildings like Millennium Tower that will be highly profitable without them. Makes me sick, I thought republicans were supposed to be the party of big business. Why don't democrats act like democrats?

^Because it's the liberals who are ruining the economies of big cities. Just look at DETROIT!!!!

DRINK!!!

Pit's its all about the art of the deal

As some wag once opined about Beacon Hill -- everything is a deal and no deal is too small

The folks running government at all levels construct everything with massive ambiguity so that everything has to be interpreted -- then of course there is an opportunity for a deal

Taxes and Zoning are the classic examples -- no one really knows what goes into a real property tax assessment --- or how to accomodate by some variance FARs and setbacks, etc. as specified by some hypercomplex zoning for the relevant district with uber bizarre planning overlay attached

You make your public proposal and accompanying sotto voce deal and if its accepted -- they will find a way to let you build it

As one of the renowned oldene tyme Ward Healers -- Martin Lomasney [State Senator, State Representative, and Boston Alderman -- . Lomasney, known as the "Mahatma", was best remembered, however, for being the ward boss (political boss) of Boston's Ward Eight. ] --- He put it:

"Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink."

I would add -- never do anything if the Quid and Pro Quo are obvious to both parties

This is an interesting meeting video but almost 2 hours long:

http://northendwaterfront.com/2013/...erns-regarding-three-tower-development-video/

Some hightlights:
not the final design of the building, may not be all glass
project may include movie theaters and a bowling alley

Did you know that the glare of a glass skyscraper can melt a car!

After a while they completely ignore one woman. Among her complaints is that these building should not be higher than the Zakim Bridge out of respect. She also wants the required open space on this project! I couldn't think of a worse place for a large park.

If she really wants a park, go a few blocks down the road and she has quite a few blocks to the oh I don't know, Greenway?! Dumb expletive.

This could be the biggest crock of shit I've ever read in my life.

Blighted? For menino to come out in support of this notion is insulting to the citizens of Boston that live in actual blight.

I'd challenge the applicant to present one other developer that wouldn't be willing to go all in on this parcel without this type of subsidy.

Charlie (and his father Jeremy) Jacobs seek millions in a hand-out from the tax-payers and then proceed to profit off of the stupidity that makes up bruins fan base. His concessions include $8 beers and $4.25 bottles of water.

I hope no liberals on here actually support this application. This is the face of greed.

I'd really like to support this entire comment, but my "stupidity" will not allow it..... thanks dick.

This could be the biggest crock of shit I've ever read in my life.

Blighted? For menino to come out in support of this notion is insulting to the citizens of Boston that live in actual blight.

I'd challenge the applicant to present one other developer that wouldn't be willing to go all in on this parcel without this type of subsidy.

I hope no liberals on here actually support this application. This is the face of greed.

Is this a joke? If bruins fans are as stupid as you say - what does that make celtics fans?

And if that is your definition of stupid, every single major sports fan in the world almost must be stupid then for paying those concession prices. Ever been to fenway?

I'm not saying I support this in anyway at all, I just don't understand where all the anger towards bruins fans suddenly came from.

And yes, I think you can all see where my anger comes from given my username.

I see both sides of this argument. Maybe I don't have all the details, but from what I can see:

TD Gardens retail is going to be a fan centric dining/bar/shopping experience, since it makes sense to bring in all the fans who are at bars on causeway/canal street to your own resturaunts bars and stores.

It's likely that a Grocery Store will not bring in the money that other kinds of retail would at that location. It takes up a lot of space, both from a stocking perspective, and from a loading unloading area perspective. So rent for the store to TD Garden would likely be similar to the SHaw's in Prudential in that it's at best breaking even.

Unless this development puts a grocery store in, (the Canal development already had trouble doing so), then there are not many areas around to actually host a supermarket.

So the city had to come to an agreement and say, make some space into a grocery store and we will pay for the grocery store to come into the area.

I also dislike the fact that it means my money is helping develop something that should be developed anyway, but I see it from Menino's side being that paying $10M may bring a grocery store for the entire north end/west end, which just helps more residential developments.

That said, if I was a billionaire, it wouldn't hurt just to help the community out a little.

Menino side? Mayor Menino is the biggest hypocrite in politics. He is the true definition what is wrong with our country.

Didn't he tell the Fenway project and the Aquarium Garage developers "Its not my fault they paid too much for the site" But then the BRA with the help of Deval Patrick issued unlimited amounts of money for these developments: Only to lower there construction costs so they can persuade tenants to relocate from exsisting private owners?
Fan Pier Development
Liberty Mutual Development
Morgan Stanly Development
DTX Development

I would rather my tax incentives or money to make the MBTA more efficient or create more efficent roads and fix bridges. Help with the traffic congenstion in the city. These politicans and Billionaire developer & Corporations are looting the taxpayers at will and it all falls on the politicans for being our leaders.

Yes but won't these developments pay back the tax breaks and then some in new taxes once they're up and running?

Yes but won't these developments pay back the tax breaks and then some in new taxes once they're up and running?

SHH. That's doesn't jibe with the desired image of a greedy, immoral ass-bag who's steadily turning Boston into Detroit if only not for those pesky universities.

Then why not give everybody tax breaks instead of the connected few? Why should anybody pay taxes? Why have a system in place when a few don't have to follow it?

My point is these developers are robbing the taxpayers with the help of the politicans rules & guidelines to city development. All they are doing is looting the working class stiff to work 80 hours a week to feed his family instead of 40 hours a week.

And in the end the Development is builted half-assed because they want to marginalize their profits especially when they are not putting up their own personal money.

As a taxpayer I would rather my money going into projects that help the city become more efficient like Transit. Not help some billionaire developer with his giant ego become more rich because of taxbreaks to make his project make economic sense.

And I also thought that the developers where supposed to give the taxpayers incentives to build not the taxpayers to help them build their project only to sell them to the highest bidders when done.

Last edited:

TD Gardens retail is going to be a fan centric dining/bar/shopping experience, since it makes sense to bring in all the fans who are at bars on causeway/canal street to your own resturaunts bars and stores.

It's likely that a Grocery Store will not bring in the money that other kinds of retail would at that location.

This is not just the Garden, it is North Station. This place is going to have thousands (10's of thousands?) Of people picking up a bag of groceries for dinner or a sandwich for the train ride home. My friend owns a wine+cheese shop in eastern BB and just opened a small specialty grocery store next to it. There aren't all that many residents in the immediate area, and yet he makes a killing on people as they leave work.

This tax break is insurance to guarantee that a grocer is willing to move in to this specific location. The place is going to slaughter and this tax break is going to pay for itself a thousand-fold. It is an urban planning technique - this is the tool the city has to influence who moves in here.

This is not just the Garden, it is North Station. This place is going to have thousands (10's of thousands?) Of people picking up a bag of groceries for dinner or a sandwich for the train ride home. My friend owns a wine+cheese shop in eastern BB and just opened a small specialty grocery store next to it. There aren't all that many residents in the immediate area, and yet he makes a killing on people as they leave work.

This tax break is insurance to guarantee that a grocer is willing to move in to this specific location. The place is going to slaughter and this tax break is going to pay for itself a thousand-fold. It is an urban planning technique - this is the tool the city has to influence who moves in here.

Bacco's? That place is perfectly situated between Liberty Mutual and John Hancock.

Just curious: Does the city of Cambridge building and zoning depts promote tax breaks to these Biotech companies or private developers to build in Cambridge and or promote massive tax incentives to relocate exsisting tenants in different parts of the state?

Is this a joke? If bruins fans are as stupid as you say - what does that make celtics fans?

And if that is your definition of stupid, every single major sports fan in the world almost must be stupid then for paying those concession prices. Ever been to fenway?

I'm not saying I support this in anyway at all, I just don't understand where all the anger towards bruins fans suddenly came from.

And yes, I think you can all see where my anger comes from given my username.

I'm not targeting Bruins fans just because they're bruins fans. I was just pointing out that the owner of the bruins also happens to be a principal at Delaware North, which owns the garden and this surface lot next door.

It just drives me bananas that we're now being imposed upon to foot the bill for the poor little rich boy's equestrian hobby.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Jacobs

Heat is mild on tax breaks for Uniland, Delaware North as ECIDA weighs project

Not sure if this is the same Delaware North company but it seems Mr. Jacobs is looking for tax breaks in Buffalo also threatens to build headquarters else where.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business...laware-north-as-ecida-weighs-project-20131029

This guy is PURE GREED and the politicans are stupid enough to give into these billionaire shitheads.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2013/10/28/del-north-has-options-beyond-buffalo.html

And didn't he get this LAND free at the North Station project promising the city to build back in the 90's?

Back