The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Re: TD Garden Towers

Got the garden for a song, got the land under the new garden developed for him with the state/T footing the bill, then built the cheap garbage of an arena on top of it for chump change. All while raking in the dough from games, concessions, C's games, all of which is a drop in the bucket compared to all his other incomes.

Some call it greed, being an asshole, or good business practice.

I call it all of the above, and at anytime he could be called on these things. But, the City gets scared by threats of leaving. Just like in Buffalo. What else does that poor city have going for it.....? I know some things like First Niagara or whatever, but losing a multi-billion dollar corps HQ would hurt them.

Got the garden for a song, got the land under the new garden developed for him with the state/T footing the bill, then built the cheap garbage of an arena on top of it for chump change. All while raking in the dough from games, concessions, C's games, all of which is a drop in the bucket compared to all his other incomes.

Some call it greed, being an asshole, or good business practice.

I call it all of the above, and at anytime he could be called on these things. But, the City gets scared by threats of leaving. Just like in Buffalo. What else does that poor city have going for it.....? I know some things like First Niagara or whatever, but losing a multi-billion dollar corps HQ would hurt them.

Like people say Boston is not Buffalo or Detroit we have alot going for us.

like Cambridge Massachusetts.

(This is on the politicans and then you wonder how the super rich prey on the demoralized poor.)

I don't blame Jacobs for playing hard ball I blame the politicans for kissing his ass saying this is the best for the taxpayers which is just plain bullshit.
THE BRA at its best economic planning for the city.

^I feel like holding up Cambridge as your bastion of libertarian freedom may not be a good example. Please, lets keep any talk of detroit and all irrelevant discussion to the specific project in one of the many spinoff threads that have been created.

All these parties involved are just horrible at PR.

They shouldn't even mentioned the word "tax breaks" or anything of the ilk.

They should say how the developer is "providing infrastructure improvements" and "community benefits" and then list some out e.g., enclosed connection from subway to commuter rail, grocery store for the neighborhood, etc. Then mention that the City will chip in a bit and get the improvements expidited and done, appealing to the communities' needs

rather than rattling a tin cup on causeway street

^^^
Didn't realize you need to start lying about the truth?

I thought private developers where supposed to entice the community with some incentives like chip in with infrastructure improvements instead of forcing the community to pay for their infrastructure costs. Then call the tax incentives the reason for job creation.

Last edited:

Not sure if this is the same Delaware North company but it seems Mr. Jacobs is looking for tax breaks in Buffalo also threatens to build headquarters else where.

http://www.buffalonews.com/business...laware-north-as-ecida-weighs-project-20131029

This guy is PURE GREED and the politicans are stupid enough to give into these billionaire shitheads.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2013/10/28/del-north-has-options-beyond-buffalo.html

And didn't he get this LAND free at the North Station project promising the city to build back in the 90's?

Irony of Ironies: If this were your hero, McCourt, you'd be praising his great business skills :D

^^^ If you read my previous response

I don't blame Jacobs for playing hard ball I blame the politicans for kissing his ass saying this is the best for the taxpayers which is just plain bullshit.
THE BRA at its best economic planning for the city.

You can't blame a businessman for trying to swindle what he can from the State & the city but we can blame the Incompetent hypocrite leaders we have in place for the past 20-years like the Menino Administration which they are only worried about enriching themselves and their political allies.

Thats HOW I SEE IT.

^^^ If you read my previous response

You can't blame a businessman for trying to swindle what he can from the State & the city but we can blame the Incompetent hypocrite leaders we have in place for the past 20-years like the Menino Administration which they are only worried about enriching themselves and their political allies.

Thats HOW I SEE IT.

You wrote about Jacobs "This guy is PURE GREED and the politicans are stupid enough to give into these billionaire shitheads."

Now you try to say you cannot "blame a businessman for trying to swindle what he can".

Your inconsitency aside, the lesson from you is: Politicians cannot do it, but it's perfectly ok for businessmen to do it.

Evidently, only one has the responsibility not to "swindle".

Thanks, got it!

You wrote about Jacobs "This guy is PURE GREED and the politicans are stupid enough to give into these billionaire shitheads."

Now you try to say you cannot "blame a businessman for trying to swindle what he can".

Your inconsitency aside, the lesson from you is: Politicians cannot do it, but it's perfectly ok for businessmen to do it.

Only one has the responsibility has the responsibility not to "swindle".

Thanks, got it!

Idiotic libertarianism in a nut shell, the government should stay out of our lives and leave corporations free to rip us off as they please

Ummm, just sayin'...

attachment.php

Evidently, only one has the responsibility not to "swindle".

Thanks, got it!

Jacobs might be a greedy businessman but he is playing by the rules that our Leaders continue to promote. So yes I don't blame him for trying to continue to promote "JOBS" paid by the taxpayers since our GOVT leaders continue to sell out our freedom for Greed.

That is my point.

Those rules are in place because of business leaders advocating for them so its not a very good point.

And our leaders are so supposed to protect us from these types of business practices.

Lets just drop this know before this thread really heads off the cliff like our GOVT debt.

coleslaw,
unless these corporations are ripping you off at gun point (like the government does), you determine what you buy and when/where you'll buy it.
if you don't like something that someone is selling don't buy it . . . if enough folks do so, the company selling it won't be doing so for long--no need to have an invasive, corrupt, inefficient and capricious government involved.

getting back to the topic at hand, i sincerely hope that this does get developed as they are presenting because with what has gone up in the area of late, as well as what is currently u/c, has had a pronounced and positive effect on the business there (at least based on my going through there about once/week).

also, has anyone noticed the gradual build up of the mechants in the commuter rail waiting area at north station? I recall when first the lobby area was expanded a few years back, it was barren (and remained so for several months). what they have there is nice and that pizza joint by track 10 is LEGIT!

I love debating libertarianism as much as the next guy, but can we just have a catch-ass General thread for these rehashed arguments? It's seriously infesting every thread lately.

I love debating libertarianism as much as the next guy, but can we just have a catch-ass General thread for these rehashed arguments? It's seriously infesting every thread lately.

Do you know why they are infesting every thread. Is because our Planning & Economic Agency the BRA continues to promote these absurbed tax breaks to enrich Mayor Menino Billionaire business associates friends which affects the development plans.

Do you know why they are infesting every thread. Is because our Planning & Economic Agency the BRA continues to promote these absurbed tax breaks to enrich Mayor Menino Billionaire business associates friends which affects the development plans.

I know that's why. So make a thread in General where we can actually hash it out. Having the same damn argument in every thread where developers are requesting tax incentives is tiresome. You don't need to swoop in with your argument again and again every time there's an article about it. Or rather, please do swoop in, but swoop into a "Tax Incentives to Developers" thread that's in the General forum.

What's the difference between giving a tax break to a developer to get a project built (which in turn, once the project is built, will pay many millions back in higher taxes over the years) than those of us who get to deduct mortgage interest on our homes, charitable donations, stock losses, rental property, college loans, farm subsities? Isn't that the same sort of thing only on a much smaller level? Aren't these deductions really tax breaks, tax breaks that we are given because they are considered "investments" in the future? How about non-profits such as churches and hospitals, the YMCA, Salvation Army who don't pay taxes on their property or income? Granted, non-profits are there for the overall general benefit of the community but one could argue (and many have) that non-profits are, many times, so rich they need no tax breaks. In any case, many of us benefit from tax breaks, but of course, some get a much bigger benefit.

And sorry for being part of this derailing of a thread and if you want to take this whole line of discussion to another thread, please, be my guest. I'll just remember not to go to that thread in the future since hopefully, this will be my first, and last, comment about this subject.

I want to punch each and every one of you in the kidneys.

Back