The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I don't belief those wood soffits will make it into the final iteration, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Add me to the "Don't hate it" club. Here's my rough version without the bloated middle section.

BEFORE
1mNwJIBh.jpg

AFTER
hb8DdAx.jpg

Add me to the "Don't hate it" club. Here's my rough version without the bloated middle section.

AFTER
hb8DdAx.jpg

I think something like the W-braces on the bottom in place of the bulbous would be interesting (and symmetrical with the W's at the top), like what skanska is doing in Seattle at the 2+U, but starting at the podium.

qCwg0uDh.jpg

I do agree with most that the bulbous middle section is gross.

THIS.

Some restraint would fix the actual plan they're going with. The upper and lower sections are fine. It's the kitchen sink approach of adding just one more façade style that diminishes so many otherwise good designs.

Exactly why I was asking someone to render this. Much better. Less is more in many, many cases architecturally. Especially here, this looks a lot better.

Now render it without the bump-outs and wood roof which is probably what well end up getting after another revision and you basically have the original office tower we started with.

Exactly why I was asking someone to render this. Much better. Less is more in many, many cases architecturally. Especially here, this looks a lot better.

Now render it without the bump-outs and wood roof which is probably what well end up getting after another revision and you basically have the original office tower we started with.

Perfect ^.

The bump outs and the wood roof look like faux-Japanese crap.

Some more approximations on this - this time minus wood and pop-outs. Having stared at the original in photoshop it really is a mess. Way too much going on.

jvQK9o2.jpg

OqeAbDU.jpg

I continue to be the lone voice on this one, but I actually love this new design. The first two renders shown in the daylight, with the view up to what looks like large wooden soffits under the W-frame just makes me happy. I like this so much more than an also-ran glass tower with an also-ran spire.

nope. tho i don't LOVE it. i think it's quite nice and a major improvement over the fat box with limp-dick "spire" that preceded this design.

(first, thanks to everyone who has posted these render sketches).

Now call me old school, but do the bump outs have to be random and all over the place? I know that's the trend, especially with the lab buildings all over cambridge.

With theSil's rendering, I really like the continuity created by removing the middle buldge and extending the primary window grid along the full height...
But, if they need to increase floor plates, can the bump outs be nice and orderly? Like maybe one of the four corners of the tower has them along its full height?

One more for the mix. If the middle podium has to be kept, how about using the kickass cladding from the base.
ZwajRgZ.jpg

You guys haven't even seen these either:

This makes me think... this has been ALL OVER THE PLACE so far so we have hope. The only thing is its under construction now and the podium is basically finished so were getting close. If they can change the office tower this much though with the podium basically finished it means theres still hope. The pooper scooper residential tower is basically set in stone though.

So, now we're sort of at the point where these two towers have been reversed (and the office one got a mid-70's Chevy Caprice wood overlay)?

Thanks; that's great news!

Does anyone have the live camera link?

Distinguished aB members,

The big meeting to decry the not-very-attractive gateway office building is tonight.

No you didn't 'forget.' It's tonight. We need to show up and tell the developer how much 'w'ed really appreciate if they'd figure out a way to build something significantly less filthy than their current render.'

Boston needs your brilliant input at this meeting!

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-cal...ub-on-causeway-office-tower-joint-public-impa

:D

Last edited:

Back