The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Nice to see! All our fussing about the stumptown tower renders and quietly on the other side, the residential high rise is going up.

Did anyone catch this bit, buried in The Globe's piece on 115 Winthrop Square?

The Boston Globe said:
Design details for the Hub on Causeway, a three-building complex next to North Station, have evolved several times since it was first proposed five years ago. The developer now is seeking permission to make an office tower 75 feet taller — though skinnier — to enable higher ceilings preferred by the tech companies that are flocking to the neighborhood.

I don't recall any of us kicking this can down Causeway Street...

420' + 75' is just an oversight by Mr. Logan. Our development beat writer is deserving of more rest.

The tower was 420' to the highest occupied floor ...and with the wharf style mechanicals and crown, it reached 505'
to the top of the wharf/barn-style running board. All they're going for is to move the 'occupied' to 456', w/ the boxy
mechanical structure, bringing it to 495'... then some little box brings the height back to ~505'.

The-Hub-on-Causeway-Mixed-Use-Development-Bulfinch-Triangle-Boston-TD-Garden-North-Station-Boston-Properties-Delaware-North-John-Moriarty-and-Associates-Construction.jpg

alternative post;

3 weeks, 637 posts, 1700 rehashed puke renders.... erase it all–starting with post #2163 on page 109 – or the aliens
will have their proof (the experiment was a failure). Just leave DD's now famous "oh dear" shot heard round the world.

Last edited:

On the office tower, they should use the facade all the way up that's shown on the base portion of the building, and get rid of the contrasting middle column. More stately, more gravitas that way.

The residential tower is beyond hope. Start over with that one.

Last edited:
Walking down Causeway, I'm just so excited for this to open up. It's going to really change the pedestrian experience here (which has been subpar for a long time).

Honestly, in light of all the grief we've given the office tower, we've really ignored the fact its neighbor is going to be the kind of derivative "background building" we've seen over and over again for the past 15 years.

They've installed a few panels on the side of the office tower podium that faces Portal Park. I will say it looks better than the renders. It has a slight patina that reminds me a little of weathered corten steel. I don't think it is corten steel though.

You mean the red panels of the base building, I think we all like that. The "tower podium" being referred to is the second volume in the renderings, around the waist of the building.

You mean the red panels of the base building, I think we all like that. The "tower podium" being referred to is the second volume in the renderings, around the waist of the building.

I refuse to acknowledge that the tower podium exists. I hope it never gets built (I'd nix both towers too). Buuuuttttt...if you really want to go there, sure, I'm referring to the base building. Sorry for not using appropriate jargon.

I, for one, did not like the rust, burnt sienna, umber, whatever panels in the renderings, and to be honest, I'm still on the fence after seeing them in person (waiting for the finished product). I seem to recall there was another comment or two about it (but that was nitpicking).

I mean i'll wait to reserve judgment when it's built, but I honestly don't get the critizm of the residential tower. I'm not a huge fan of the shorter part of the tower, but i'm a fan of the tall glass part.

Though the current podium and tower design looks like multiple different designs where the groups did not talk to each other. It's not cohesive at all, and blends too many styles that don't blend together.

The design with the glass spire felt like it was designed by the same team as the residential tower, and it would have been a more cohesive development.

i'll wait to reserve judgment when it's built, but I honestly don't get the critizm of the residential tower. I'm not a huge fan of the shorter part of the tower, but i'm a fan of the tall glass part.

i like the residential tower a lot. Even at 496'. It compliments the podium, and it's neighbor, helps the dismal O'Neill bldg, the a/r and shape is good.... and i rather like the glass over in this part of the West End. i believe most of us will be pleasantly surprised, and warm to it.

i don't like the mis-reporting of the office tower regarding its' height.

The significant architectural height has actually been lowered to 495' from 505'.

i like the residential tower a lot. It compliments the podium, and it's neighbor, helps the dismal O'Neill bldg, the a/r and shape is good.... and i rather like the glass over in this part of the West End. i believe most of us will be pleasantly surprised, and warm to it.

I think with the office tower the biggest issue is that it has three different facades over its height, and those styles do not compliment each other well. If they used the style that they introduce about halfway up to the top and extended it all the way down to the podium I honestly think the tower would be pretty interesting. Certainly different then most towers. But as it stands now it's way too complicated.

I refuse to acknowledge that the tower podium exists. I hope it never gets built (I'd nix both towers too). Buuuuttttt...if you really want to go there, sure, I'm referring to the base building. Sorry for not using appropriate jargon.

I, for one, did not like the rust, burnt sienna, umber, whatever panels in the renderings, and to be honest, I'm still on the fence after seeing them in person (waiting for the finished product). I seem to recall there was another comment or two about it (but that was nitpicking).

I didn't mean to take that tone; I realized later that I intended to end with a question mark, not put words in your mouth. That being said, I think the red/orange will work well here.

Glancing at Bee Line's picture and the Web cam....is it possible that the residential phase is going to be cast-in-place concrete and that we are seeing the forms for the first floor being built?

Back