The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Glancing at Bee Line's picture and the Web cam....is it possible that the residential phase is going to be cast-in-place concrete and that we are seeing the forms for the first floor being built?

Yes, I believe this is the case. That's why they stopped building the core at the top of the podium and took the slipform rig off the core & capped the rebar. Once the structure meets the top of the core, the tower as a whole will climb as one.

Exciting to see movement on this phase!

FWIW, this had a presentation on Tuesday before the BCDC, the same type of snap presentation that signaled a change in the 115 Winthrop Square redesign. The presentation isn't posted to the BRA site yet, however.

The residential/hotel component is starting according to the BPDA website so people were correct when they said that appeared to be started.

Beeline- Great pics. Ladies and gentlemen, here she comes. Please bring the office tower back....... please. Or at least get rid of the double podium. If anyone important can see this, with all due respect both towers are lackluster. The residential was going to at least be hidden so the office tower had to take the spotlight. This new design is bad. If you absolutely have to keep this Japanese kimodo style at least get rid of that pregnant building #2 podium here, or look at some of the other photoshopped buildings and go from there. In reality the best thing to do would just go back to the one before this most recent version.

This is the northern gateway, lets act like it.

That being said the podium looks greeeeeat.

Last edited:
Old but w/e...

Screen_Shot_2018-04-13_at_1.39.16_PM.png

It would be great if they could build something on that parcel next door to block the side wall. I think it could support a pretty tall tower here.

Speaking of which, I still think everybody dropped the ball with the Hub on Causeway project. The whole "iconic" mumbo jumbo that has been droned on about for the Winthrop Square site would have made even more sense here. The FAA limit could support a new tallest, there's no shadow on the parks bs to deal with, and it's literally right on top of one of the city's key transit hubs! Instead of scaling back, they should have gone as tall as possible, and there should have been more pushback against the smaller design.

Also, if they were so keen on making the office tower bigger, why didn't they just invert the towers so the residential one was closer to the North End? As nice as the podiums will be, the towers will be every bit as pathetic.

I mean, Mayor Walsh has his housing initiative, and then sits on his hands as the developer preemptively scales back on one of the key sites in the city? What a sad state of affairs. Little people thinking small fail to put a dent into Boston's very real, very large problems. I'm ashamed that this is the best we could come up with here.

Everyones ashamed, and even more so now that we got a karate dojo for the office tower. Its such a clusterf*ck its insane. They got the base sooo right, that they went full retard from using all their brain power and had a melt down and pooped out the resi and office tower. They blew their own minds because the base is so good and makes so much sense how it pays homage to the old garden that they had a melt down, dropped trou, and shatted these 2 towers onto the top of the podium and then bit the top of their hand and ran away side legged. The podium was that last straw that broke the camels back, from the podium up it gets 'tarded.

It would be great if they could build something on that parcel next door to block the side wall. I think it could support a pretty tall tower here.

Agreed. Good luck with the nice folks from the Greenway Conservancy...

...The whole "iconic" mumbo jumbo that has been droned on about for the Winthrop Square site would have made even more sense here. The FAA limit could support a new tallest, there's no shadow on the parks bs to deal with, and it's literally right on top of one of the city's key transit hubs! Instead of scaling back, they should have gone as tall as possible...

I think a few folks have expressed this sentiment to varying degrees. I have similar feelings about both planned towers for Bulfinch Crossing - given the once-in-a-generation opportunity, the scale is too timid.

I'm ashamed that this is the best we could come up with here.

You've summarized my thoughts on the entire Bulfinch Triangle.

Everyones ashamed...

no

....Its such a clusterf*ck its insane. They got the base sooo right, that they went full retard from using all their brain power and had a melt down and pooped out the resi and office tower. They blew their own minds because the base is so good and makes so much sense how it pays homage to the old garden that they had a melt down, dropped trou, and shatted these 2 towers onto the top of the podium and then bit the top of their hand and ran away side legged. The podium was that last straw that broke the camels back, from the podium up it gets 'tarded.

Stick, maybe you need to take a break. Seriously. There is so much emotion here, and I'm wondering with your breakneck pace of posting if it really matters *that* much that you get yourself so worked up. Look after your heart.

That said, I felt similar emotions when the Winthrop Sq scaled-down-atrocity was released, so I understand where you're coming from 'emotion-wise', even if I disagree with your particular take.

no

Stick, maybe you need to take a break. Seriously. There is so much emotion here, and I'm wondering with your breakneck pace of posting if it really matters *that* much that you get yourself so worked up. Look after your heart.

That said, I felt similar emotions when the Winthrop Sq scaled-down-atrocity was released, so I understand where you're coming from 'emotion-wise', even if I disagree with your particular take.

Lol na its hard to tell through text but Im chillin just talkin shit. Like with the trinity proposal in the 115 winthrop thread. Just talkin a lil shit cuz its literally easy these days not to bomb architecture especially when they already had it right, but its happened twice now. This has been happening lately where they do a few revisions until they finally get it comletely right, everyones for the most part happy, then they just cant stop while theyre sitting around so they do something crazy and ruin it. You almost have to time it so the best proposals come out right before construction because when they have time to sit around they go back and tinker with shit even when its a finished project.

The former iteration had actually lasted a long time though and people from here even went to meetings and gave feedback when the office tower had the flat roof and thats why they changed it. Thats how we got the spire it was a concession from them to us. Thats what was great about it, plus it looked good. Then one day they wiped it all away out of nowhere for no reason. Luckily with 115 fed they caught it and went back to the future, but here it looks like were actually going to get the karate dojo tower and those meetings were naught and them throwing us the spire is nothing now. I thought there was something special about how that tower had came to be through community input leading to the design we saw. Now they just said na F all that and one day plopped a double podium on our ass with a place to get your tan belt on top.

Edit: That last pic above this post is awesome.

It's part the Bullfinch Triangle. The historical district is not zoned for height. i'd hope to see it reach 240~280'. But, it would be stunning to get Liberty Mutual scale. They should do that type of scale. ...i'd like to see some type of Flatiron/ Art Deco done here, as others like Statler have alluded. They'd probably quash that level of 'cool' for something looking more like the

umm, Forecaster Bldg.

Back