The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Sorry, 2 posts ended up on 2 different pages. Copying the ones from the the previous page here to keep them all together.

Great shots, Poolio & Beeline!

Some rental news via Curbed:
And luxury it is: Rents range from $2,300 a month for so-called metro units, which are each smaller than 400 square feet, to $10,000 a month for three-bedroom penthouses.

Such rents don’t merely lease the apartment, though. Hub50House comes with a slew of amenities—so many that the team behind it, including marketing firm the Collaborative Companies, refers to the current leasing underway as “membership leasing.”
https://boston.curbed.com/2019/5/21/18633191/hub-causeway-apartments-hub50house-td-garden

I noticed that language in an ad on the subway. "Memberships start at $2,300." I wanted to choke the person who came up with it.

Well its better than "If you can't afford the rents here, you aren't working hard enough" :D

Who can afford $10,000 a month for a 3 bedroom? Do these people really exist? Why does nobody know anyone that pays that in rent...

^^Capitalism, baby!
How about a Porsche Design Tower for the cute nook behind the Garden next to the Zakim ramp?
Gotta be a market for peeps want to sleep next to their '72 Daytona, F-12's, Mac's etc......

Who can afford $10,000 a month for a 3 bedroom? Do these people really exist? Why does nobody know anyone that pays that in rent...

Students with uber wealthy parents going to school in Boston for one. There's like 9 zillion members of the Saudi royal family for example, and when prince so and so is here for college, he isn't living in the freshman dorm!

Sports players also might keep a place next to the Garden in addition to wherever they live in the 'burbs. Lastly I could see plenty of corporate apartments as well.

Students with uber wealthy parents going to school in Boston for one. There's like 9 zillion members of the Saudi royal family for example, and when prince so and so is here for college, he isn't living in the freshman dorm!

Sports players also might keep a place next to the Garden in addition to wherever they live in the 'burbs. Lastly I could see plenty of corporate apartments as well.

I mean, in reality, there are many dual income households where each adult is making $150-200k each. I'm not one of them, but there are many.

Two people cohabiting and making $200k each could afford one of those units on 50% of their take home.

^^exactly. If they don't make supply to meet demand at all the price points,
tickets for lower tier housing would have taken off to pluto.

This is what the state gets for selling out the people....

Similar to what you stated the other day re; deforestation in general.
Not only do highrises act to allow for more public space,
but the wealthier of society use up far less of the land resource, vs say,
siblings in Dover/Sherborn who inherit large estates on 80 acres only to
sell out to the developers for more >$3M dense, wooded McMansions....
i'm beginning to see the proliferation of Colonials filling in every last wooded nook outside 128 as "the tragic case" for Massachusetts' tight housing market.

^^exactly. If they don't make supply to meet demand at all the price points,
tickets for lower tier housing would have taken off to pluto.

Similar to what you stated the other day re; deforestation in general.
Not only do highrises act to allow for more public space,
but the wealthier of society use up far less of the land resource, vs say,
siblings in Dover/Sherborn who inherit large estates on 80 acres only to
sell out to the developers for more >$3M dense, wooded McMansions....
i'm beginning to see the proliferation of Colonials filling in every last wooded nook outside 128 as "the tragic case" for Massachusetts' tight housing market.

Well, except that the wealthier have like 8 apartments scattered around with staffs and such... in addition to their leafy retreats.

When I was a realtor through grad school, I had a few clients that looked for 2-bed and 3-bed apartments in the $8,000 to $14,000/mo price range. One was an attorney that split a lot of time between New York and Boston. Another owned several businesses across three different states. They earned a million+ annually... I verified it.

With a lot of the high rise multi-family rentals coming to market in the last decade that proudly tout these rents with a high range of $10,000+, it's important to keep in mind that there are relatively few of them citywide. In a city of ~250,000 housing units, maybe 100 ultra luxury units come to market per year.

The office tower appears to have a steel/iron core instead of a cement one? That seems unusual.

Well, $10K for a 3 br is definitely testing new limits for Boston.

My building knocks people out for $7K+ for a 2 br, and I think the penthouse 2 br are about $11-12K. But that is Manhattan in a new building and I live in a "hot" area.

For $10K a month, at least in NYC, the rule of thumb is you need to make 40X rent and pass a credit check (i.e., not have too much debt) and be able to put down 2 months rent (1st month + security) in cash.
So the renter needs to make $400K. Figure a couple working in finance or law ($200K each) can easily pull that off together.

That amenities fee for their "club" is not bad when you consider it includes a gym and places like Equinox are $200+ per month or $2400+ per year for a gym.

The office tower appears to have a steel/iron core instead of a cement one? That seems unusual.

The Avalon residential tower right by there also had a steel core. Come to think of it, I think the John Hancock Tower did too based on old pictures. I have no idea why one method would be favored over another.

The Avalon residential tower right by there also had a steel core. Come to think of it, I think the John Hancock Tower did too based on old pictures. I have no idea why one method would be favored over another.

Avalon North Station used a steel "core" because it was built on top of an existing underground garage. Cast-in-place concrete cores are the usual choice to provide sheer strength and fire protection because they're typically cheaper and easier to put up than an angled steel structure that provides comparable qualities. But cast-in-place cores are also really heavy, so they don't work well built on top of a pre-existing foundation/structure. That's why Avalon North Station got all steel, and the multiple-phase nature of the Hub office tower makes it a logical candidate for a "steel core" as well.

Cast-in-place cores (and cast-in-place tower construction in general) is also a relatively new development; it wasn't really a thing when the Hancock Tower was going up.

I have it on very good authority that the Verizon tower will start to rise at a rate of 1.5-2 floors / week starting this week - project is slightly delayed due to weather in April so the BXP team is going to make it up and start cranking now that mr. sun has come out.

Also to get the rumor mill going but they're looking at a buyout of the last piece of the puzzle at the Pru so that they can go "boston" super tall once they get control...

Which plot of land are you referring to at the Pru?

I have it on very good authority that the Verizon tower will start to rise at a rate of 1.5-2 floors / week starting this week - project is slightly delayed due to weather in April so the BXP team is going to make it up and start cranking now that mr. sun has come out.

Also to get the rumor mill going but they're looking at a buyout of the last piece of the puzzle at the Pru so that they can go "boston" super tall once they get control...

Buyout of the last piece of the puzzle at the Pru?

Back