The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Does that bike lane cross Washington Street over to Commercial Street? I can't tell if the street view on google maps is up to date but it doesn't look very well connected (aka dangerous).

No, it doesn't (or at least it didn't as of the last time I biked that intersection in late September).

It's a huge missing link between the 2-way separated cycletracks on Causeway and Commercial Streets.

i believe it was intentional.
Lousy call imo.
What's that "plywood looking" sheet about 2/3 they way up?

7FBFD7DE-1F51-4ED8-B8F8-00341606FE46.jpeg
3BFA26DC-1738-4B27-BE1F-9B8266C74863.jpeg
1517F8D7-9E58-4EF8-95F6-B544E131E2D4.jpeg
7E024334-553F-41BD-93A0-0871918F7CBB.jpeg
81259153-F6F4-415E-8442-7ED68EC26F2B.jpeg
6AF4BB6F-BA3D-4B41-BDBD-2C4B18E10B3D.jpeg
ADB84D15-4A09-430B-8424-48D463EFAB94.jpeg
0C634CA4-7076-44F7-98B9-F38E7CE4C81B.jpeg
A597CB40-E58E-48C1-90BA-E5AFF8060308.jpeg
09B6B79A-1A7F-497A-AC18-B48374BAE35B.jpeg
545D27D4-69B7-46E7-9D98-3718E28A4A7C.jpeg

No, it doesn't (or at least it didn't as of the last time I biked that intersection in late September).

It's a huge missing link between the 2-way separated cycletracks on Causeway and Commercial Streets.

Right. And the small section of bikepath in front of Portal Park is functionally useless as pedestrians just use it as an extended sidewalk.

Hub on Causeway apartment tower one-quarter leased ahead of November opening
It’s been five months since the 38-story tower near North Station and TD Garden started leasing its 440 units

By Tom Acitelli Nov 6, 2019, 9:44am EST

Is this good? To me it feels low relative to what I think I remember from some other large rental properties in the area. The article doesn't really compare it to any similar examples.

Right. And the small section of bikepath in front of Portal Park is functionally useless as pedestrians just use it as an extended sidewalk.

I think the idea is that it connects via the walkway under the N Wash bridge (currently out of service of course). But agreed on the de facto sidewalk.

Is this good? To me it feels low relative to what I think I remember from some other large rental properties in the area. The article doesn't really compare it to any similar examples.

I think real estate developers' pro formas (the cash flow spreadsheet they prepare for new buildings) typically account for 15-18 months from completion of a new construction multi-family property like this before it reaches ~90% occupancy (considered full occupancy more or less). To be a quarter leased after 5 months with all the other construction happening at Hub on Causeway? I think that's pretty decent.

The good news for prospective renters citywide is that if the apartments rent much more slowly, they'll likely throw in 1, 2 or even 3 months off rent to lure tenants. And if that doesn't lure people in, then a price adjustment down would take place... I highly doubt this will happen, though.

Looks like thats the alcotts crane poking up there in between the sudbury and hub residential tower. Thats about where it should be. From this angle its going to fill in right in the center of the skyline gap. Awesome.
And then just wait until One Congress... It'll be continuous across from most harbor viewpoints.

Eaxactky ^. The O'Neill and the Longfellow Towers are ugly in my opinion, but the new development masks and offsets them really well. Even from the ground on Causeway Street, the O"Neill kind of blends in with the streetwall created by the new development, to an extent at least. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb now.

Is the office building already topped off?

Not that this development isn't great or anything but right now it looks like they should have went another 25 to 50ft taller on the residential. It would have made a nice little peak with the office and Avalon on each side.

No its not topped off yet, it will be taller than the residential.

Have you changed your tune on the office tower? I remember you in particular saying that this building would ruin the skyline, be a major eyesore, etc. The more I am seeing of it I actually thing it's bleeping awesome, and going to easily be the best of the 4 buildings in this cluster (including Garden Garage Tower). The cladding looks really good.

It's great how the buildings these last several years have looked fantastic when actually built compared to the renderings. I blame the computer generated renderings which look overly shiny and Vegas looking.

I still think it's an eyesore. Compared to earlier designs on it, this is still the worst of the three or so design rendered.

It's still looks exceptionally squat because of the misused of the colossal order. There's not going to be a spire but a flat roof. The use of different window designs still doesnt make sense. This was a lost opportunity but unfortunately this is what Verizon wanted. A corporate unimaginative office that at the same time, tried too hard to make up for it with chaotic designing.

Bless that the State Street Tower will suck most of the attention away from this behemoth. That's what a corporate tower should look like with some creativity allowed.

Last edited:

Back