The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

Taken from the highest point in the Arboretum? The alignment appears to be right from one of its vantage points...

The alignment does feel correct (which I commented about to my gf at the time because we had just been to the Arboretum!) but it's from further out. It's taken from Noanet Peak in the Noanet Woodlands, Dover MA.

The alignment does feel correct (which I commented about to my gf at the time because we had just been to the Arboretum!) but it's from further out. It's taken from Noanet Peak in the Noanet Woodlands, Dover MA.

I just checked it out on a map--shoot a line at a bearing of almost exactly due NE/45 degrees, from Noanet Peak, 13.5 miles, and you will bisect Millennium Tower. But the line will slice through the extreme NW corner of Jamaica Pond, leaving the Arboretum just a smidge to the SE. Happy Thanksgiving!

Cool. FYI there's a big hole in the fence at that fire tower now, no arrangement necessary...

Not quite the same spot. I was at the "Noanet Woods Lookout" in the middle of that park. The entrance is on the Southeast corner off Powisett Road. I did the total loop hike (including spending time on the lookout and going further overall) in under 2 hours.

Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto will open a ramen restaurant at Hub Hall

tenor.gif

I happened to be grabbing a drink at Banners last night. Delaware North did a great job concerning this development. They are not very liked and considered very cheap to their employees but they did up the Garden development 1st rate in my opinion.

I believe your first "BONUS" picture is the parking lot behind the Onyx Hotel which is slated to be a 77-room addition to that hotel. I think they can do it under current zoning so probably digging some test pits

I believe your first "BONUS" picture is the parking lot behind the Onyx Hotel which is slated to be a 77-room addition to that hotel. I think they can do it under current zoning so probably digging some test pits
Almost correct.
The first bonus picture is the construction site of the new Freind Street Hostel at 234 Friend Street which is next to the proposed site of the expansion to the Onyx Hotel site (parking lot)

The second bonus picture is of 272 Friend Street which is in the process of a major renovation. This building once housed the hiking/camping store that moved over to Mass Ave in Cambridge a year or two ago. Forget the name.

Is it just me, or was an opportunity missed to have the name "BANNERS: KITCHEN & TAP" printed on a physical banner between the vertical windows here? Alternatively, I wonder if Celtics & Bruins leadership ever discussed the prospect of further consecrating their home with banners along this facade of the years their teams had championship victories. Fenway Park does this well up Jersey Street (nee Yawkey Way). I'd argue that the Patriots' 6 Super Bowl banners feature much more prominently at that stadium than the ceiling ones in the TD Garden arena.

Maybe/hopefully the pedestrianization of Canal Street presents an opportunity to hype up the home town teams, creating something of a sports red carpet to the Garden. That was personally my favorite thing about the Bruins Stanley Cup games earlier this year--the transformation of Canal's first block into a living, breathing sports center and fan headquarters.

A banner that says banners makes me think of a design photorender.

Like a Mapple Store placeholder

Almost correct.
The first bonus picture is the construction site of the new Freind Street Hostel at 234 Friend Street which is next to the proposed site of the expansion to the Onyx Hotel site (parking lot)

The second bonus picture is of 272 Friend Street which is in the process of a major renovation. This building once housed the hiking/camping store that moved over to Mass Ave in Cambridge a year or two ago. Forget the name.

Hilton's Tent City!

I think the weather kept folks away from the city yesterday, but the result was that my girlfriend and I were able to snag a pair of Bruins tickets for about $25 each. So after work we walked over to the Hub with the intention of trying Banners and Guy Fieri's. Banners is exceptionally well done. They've done an excellent job with the space. It has a turn of the century railroad station aesthetic which is obvious, but subtle enough to not be tacky. Good beer list too - stuff I haven't seen much of anywhere else in the area. Food is fine for a pre-game meal. I'd definitely go for an appetizer and drinks, but I don't know that it'd be my first choice for a meal which is fine.

On the food front, Guy Fieri's is exactly what you'd expect. Overpriced, flashy, and mediocre. On the decor front, I'd almost argue it's not flashy enough. It's a Guy Fieri joint, I want it to be tacky as all get out. Nobody walks through the door to Flavortown seeking subtle/understated. I want bright colors, loud obnoxious music (the soundtrack was late 90s/early 2000s bubblegum punk which is tacky, but was not what I'd expect). Drinks were fine. Overpriced ($14-19 for a margarita), but fine. I'm not a huge Tequila or Mezcal person, so I can't comment on the quality, but they did have a lot of variety. Overall, I never expected it to be anything other than a one-time "just to say we did it" type thing, but it still didn't meet my relatively low expectations.

I'm trying Arclight tomorrow. They were handing out popcorn to North Station passengers yesterday afternoon and it was good. I'm looking forward to trying the theater itself.

Jersey Street (nee Yawkey Way)
Nee Jersey, actually. Yawkey was not the original name, but a designation intended to honor Tom Yawkey. Jersey street is a reversion to the original, which is a continuation of the alphabet themed names in the Back Bay. After Hereford, Mass Ave. interrupts, but then there is Ipswich, Jersey, Kilmarnok....

Nee Jersey, actually. Yawkey was not the original name, but a designation intended to honor Tom Yawkey. Jersey street is a reversion to the original, which is a continuation of the alphabet themed names in the Back Bay. After Hereford, Mass Ave. interrupts, but then there is Ipswich, Jersey, Kilmarnok....
1575470428964.png

Back