The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

3/18 Stopped dead on the ramp.

IMG_9148 by David Z, on Flickr

That chain link fencing sure sucks! I mean, come on, how difficult is it to put up some sort of screen that looks halfway decent. If you're gonna use chain link fencing (which in itself sucks) use green or black. Come on, MassDOT or who ever is in charge of the roadway here, you can do better!

20220402_181107.jpg

Does anyone know why the eateries in the "Hub Hall" close so early? The only thing open after 9:50 or so seems to be Mike's Pastry and the wine bar. As a regular attendee of Celtics games who often has to wait for a train home, I'd love to be able to grab something to eat after a game, but all of these places are closed and there's always quite a few people looking for grub.

EDIT: I assume it's a business decision and that it's not worth it, but I was wondering if there was some other issue.

Does anyone have an update on what Verizon's plans are with this space? This article is the only one I've ever been able to find that provided more detail/insight into their plans, but a lot has changed since then (including them announcing that Oath was essentially worthless and killing the brand a couple weeks after this article came out).
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/...chnology-based-workspace-bostons-hub-causeway

Verily presently has what I will guess to be a relatively small office @ Google @ 355 Main St. in Cambridge (which is also Boston Properties). From their job openings list, it appears Verily will be retaining the Cambridge space, while opening a Boston site for back-of-the-lab type operations; e.g., software development, clinical trials, data analysis, etc.
https://verily.com/careers/

From the staff openings, it does not seem that the focus is on developing hardware, or directly developing new drugs. Rather, this is a Boston outpost for applying the knowledge gained from another Google 'subsidiary', the AI program known as DeepMind, which is in London. DeepMind has solved the long-vexatious problem of how proteins fold.

From the President of the Institute of Cancer Research in the UK.
...The response of experts in the field of protein folding was widely very positive, although it was acknowledged that a full analysis of the new AlphaFold2 AI approach must await formal peer review and publication – as duly occurred with the earlier version of AlphaFold – and some commentators pointed out the current inevitable limitations.

A news piece in the leading journal Science quoted the expert computational protein scientist Janet Thornton as saying, ‘What the DeepMind team has managed to achieve is fantastic and will change the future of structural biology and protein research.’ The Science report also quotes the Nobel Prize-winning structural biologist Venki Ramakrishnan, who described the work as ‘a stunning advance on the protein folding problem’.

Similarly, in a Nature news piece the computational biologist and co-founder of CASP John Moult said: ‘This is a big deal. In some sense the problem is solved.’ And the same news article also quotes Andrei Lupas, who studies protein evolution, as saying: ‘This will change everything’. Not surprisingly Lupas was impressed that AlphaFold enabled him to determine in half an hour the structure of a protein that he’d failed to solve for 10 years!

The co-founder and CEO of DeepMind – and also last author on the two Nature papers – Demis Hassabis told Fortune magazine that the publication of AlphaFold’s structure predictions was his company’s ‘biggest contribution to science to date [and] an example of the benefits AI can bring to society’. See more comments from Hassabis in his recent blog post.

Fortune also quoted very positive views from Elizabeth Blackburn (University of California San Francisco), Paul Nurse (Francis Crick Institute) and Ewan Birney (EMBL-EBI). These biomedical research leaders and many others have praised AlphaFold’s accurate and large-scale protein prediction capability, with many seeing it as the biggest breakthrough since the determination of the human genome sequence around 20 years ago – and arguably similar in scale and impact.

A Nature editorial last month reported a consensus view that ‘it’s too early to predict exactly what impact the application of AI in the life sciences will have, except that any impact will be transformative.’
https://www.icr.ac.uk/blogs/the-dru...r-protein-folding-research-and-drug-discovery

Does anyone know why the eateries in the "Hub Hall" close so early? The only thing open after 9:50 or so seems to be Mike's Pastry and the wine bar. As a regular attendee of Celtics games who often has to wait for a train home, I'd love to be able to grab something to eat after a game, but all of these places are closed and there's always quite a few people looking for grub.

EDIT: I assume it's a business decision and that it's not worth it, but I was wondering if there was some other issue.

Always had the same feeling around Fenway for night games, everything on Petersborough St closes super early (~9pm) even on game nights. Maybe just licensing issue and fighting with the "neighborhood" for later hours ? Or maybe a business decision to not deal with drunk sports fans :)

The new High Street Place Food Hall seems to have nice late hours on the weekends until 11pm. Maybe that competition will force Hub Hall to think about later hours?
1650640231115.png

The Hall itself is open to 11, but nearly everything in it closes well before then.

Yeah it's kind of frustrating. They must not think there's demand and/or they can't staff it. It never hurts to shoot your favorite vendors a message and let them know you'd support them later than that (and your reasoning - the above is legit). If they get enough feedback, they might make a change.

Why is this a mystery to so many people?

These places will continue to have Peoria-like closing hours until Boston/Cambridge/Somerville finally gets serious about building 20,000 new skyscraper housing units per year and turning the cities into world class 24/7 instead of sleepy parochial Class-B rush hour commuter towns. Labs are great but aren’t going to enliven the urban cores. The answer is simple (and needed!). The demand is there.

Last edited:

Back