The Ipswich | 2 Charlesgate West | Fenway

Re: 2 Charlesgate West

No part of the Pru will be blocked by One Dalton from Fenway. One Dalton will come close to blocking 111 Huntington from the park, but won't quite. It sits far enough to the south that it will always be "to the right" of the Pru and 111 Huntington from the park. But this is all beside the point, as these projects are in the Back Bay, far from the park. They are unrelated to Fenway.

I'm not saying that the Sox are right to oppose developments close to the park that will overlook the field and be seen from the prominent camera angles that cover the game. I'm saying that, despite any question regarding the merits of such arguments, the team (including the current ownership) has a history of making them, and there's a good chance they will make them again in this case.

JumboBuc -- I think any objections have all been voiced -- sotto voce -- otherwise there wouldn't have been such a media blitz -- this AM. if the Red Sox had any intent in opposing it -- i think the promise to make a year round entertainment venue out of Ipswich St. probably was the concession from Belkin. The Red Sox have a very strong financial interest in making Fenway a year round destination -- e.g. The Snow Boarding Competition.

The only view out from Fenway is of the Citgo Sign, the Pru, and 111 Huntington. That's all you can see. Shortly, you won't be able to see the Pru anymore because it will be almost entirely blocked by One Dalton, a project that the Red Sox had nothing to say about. The "Fenway view" as it exists now isn't long for this world.

I could see them raising an objection if a developer in that location was looking to make money from advertising visible from the park, Cubs-style, but there's no advertising going on this building. What would they be objecting to, exactly? That the building would interrupt fans' view of the sky?

Equilib -- it all depends where you are seated or standing in Fenway -- there are places where you can look out and see MIT's Eastgate and some of the Boston Towers near to Government Center

here's someone's pix taken circa 2012 so most of the inside the Fenway changes that effect the view have already happened
15-shady-by-the-monster.jpg
fenway-park-right-field-bleachers-empty.jpg

Contrary to what was being bandied about a hundred posts or so back in this thread -- this one is a go 111 Federal or not -- the only remaining uncertainty is financing

i concur.

We got the 485' ER/GG on a good parcel...

This site is a '10+'

Last edited:

JumboBuc -- I think any objections have all been voiced -- sotto voce -- otherwise there wouldn't have been such a media blitz -- this AM. if the Red Sox had any intent in opposing it -- i think the promise to make a year round entertainment venue out of Ipswich St. probably was the concession from Belkin. The Red Sox have a very strong financial interest in making Fenway a year round destination -- e.g. The Snow Boarding Competition.

Maybe I imagined this but when the Red Sox sunk all of the renovation money into the park in the early 2000's didn't they state at the time that they realistically thought that the they were looking at extending the useful life for another 30 years or so and that it was inevitable that eventually a new stadium would be needed?

The point being is that I think this project as well as those on lower Boylston will likely outlive Fenway as a functioning ballpark. It's rather dangerous to allow anything/anyone with a limited shelf-life influence decisions for the the betterment of the general populous. As sacrilegious as this is to the Fenway faithful, someday it will make a great urban park.

I thought this was interesting ... it's the first time I've heard about it

The curving glass and brownstone tower designed by Boston architect David Manfredi would be in the eastern “gateway” area of Fenway, where zoning allows greater flexibility for “architecturally distinctive” landmark buildings, 
according to TNP president Justin Krebs. TNP filed a letter of intent with the Boston Redevelopment Authority yesterday.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...tional_plans_28_story_housing_tower_in_fenway

Maybe I imagined this but when the Red Sox sunk all of the renovation money into the park in the early 2000's didn't they state at the time that they realistically thought that the they were looking at extending the useful life for another 30 years or so and that it was inevitable that eventually a new stadium would be needed?

The point being is that I think this project as well as those on lower Boylston will likely outlive Fenway as a functioning ballpark. It's rather dangerous to allow anything/anyone with a limited shelf-life influence decisions for the the betterment of the general populous. As sacrilegious as this is to the Fenway faithful, someday it will make a great urban park.

Found it:

"Engineers have told the ownership group that the structure has 40-50 years of life remaining."

http://www.boston.com/sports/extra-bases/2011/02/19/lucchino_fenway

Charlesgate II should certainly outlast Fenway.

The turnpike and commuter rail are literally across the street. What about noise mitigation techniques, and how effective can they be here? Sound barrier walls seem to be only so high, so will they reduce noise to the upper stories of this building?

I actually agree with you that the Red Sox won't block this. The rich people who are going to live in the high levels of that tower won't consider money an object anyway. If they want to watch a Sox game, they'll pay for box seats. FWIW, the Sox didn't object to height at Fenway Center.

With that said, the Red Sox have historically been deeply vocal about developments - like Fenway Center - that directly abut their property. They're a very wealthy abutter, and they have the same rights as any other land owner to complain about development.

My objection was just to the notion that the Sox' influence in Boston has anything to do with Baseball being a "declining sport." First off, that's overblown. Second, Hockey is a pretty well "declined" sport and Delaware North is still powerful and heard in City Hall. Sports teams have lots of money and lots of propaganda capability. They'll always have access.

Very true...I suppose despite baseball not being what it once was (I personally don't think the decline is overblown), the Red Sox are still extremely wealthy and that will always carry weight. I should have better deciphered what I think is fair, and how things actually are.

This is what I have:

2 Charlesgate:

Also, Pierce will be pretty visible from parts of Fenway:

I'm sure that given the formal announcement of the filing in all the media today -- that Billionare to Billionaire -- Steve Belkin has talked to John Henry and whatever issues there might have been -- they've been worked out to the satisfaction of both gentlemen

Contrary to what was being bandied about a hundred posts or so back in this thread -- this one is a go 111 Federal or not -- the only remaining uncertainty is financing

Word went around last month to tenants that leases will not be renewed in the current building. So, that seems to indicate the billionares came to an agreement.

Halcyonera can you post the current renders to the first post on the first page please, I think its about time that we start doing this.

Halcyonera can you post the current renders to the first post on the first page please, I think its about time that we start doing this.

I have tried but cannot seem to do it through Flikr link.

And we finally have the first thread after years of this forums existence posting current renders on the first page!! Im going to make sure to do it with any of my threads that pop up and hopefully it catches on with everybody else. If the people that start threads or mods even can keep this going this forum will be much improved.

Now back on topic....uh shit looks good, build it.

And we finally have the first thread after years of this forums existence posting current renders on the first page!! Im going to make sure to do it with any of my threads that pop up and hopefully it catches on with everybody else. If the people that start threads or mods even can keep this going this forum will be much improved.

Now back on topic....uh shit looks good, build it.

Not true at all. Every new project thread I have posted recently has quick facts, a description, plans, sections, elevations and/or renders.

I meant when new renders or details come out months/years after the thread is started go back and edit the first page. If you already do this my apologies. All the threads I start I also put as much info as possible in the first post but on skyscrapercity mods will edit the threads with new info so say in the case of SST on this forum you dont need to know the new render is on page 53 or whatever page its on. You just go to page 1 and all the new info is there... usually.

I've taken the advice stick. Though I've only ever started two threads, they both now have the most current renders on page 1. If everyone does the same, we'll be all set.

Back