The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

It looks like a box of cereal.

1274504388-lever1.jpg

It was love at first sight! Simply, strikingly, beautiful! For me, as a kid, she was the Marilyn Monroe of all buildings! She still is!

Those low standards are all that are economically viable in Boston. This is a small city with a fairly stagnant population. Combine those factors with the costly permitting process, high labor costs and the freebies foisted upon developers such as affordable housing and 'community space' it's a wonder anyone even bothers. As we've seen, not many outside of the institutional realm do anymore.

+1

You can see this from the Public Garden, and today was the first time I got a real good look at it with my own eyes. I'm sorry, but this thing truly is a piece of shit. We need sexy, tall towers built on all four sides. ASAP.

Those low standards are all that are economically viable in Boston. This is a small city with a fairly stagnant population. Combine those factors with the costly permitting process, high labor costs and the freebies foisted upon developers such as affordable housing and 'community space' it's a wonder anyone even bothers. As we've seen, not many outside of the institutional realm do anymore.

Permitting is 1-2% of dev cost. Labor costs are as high or higher in NYC and San Fran. So are freebies.
We get shit buildings because Boston is stuck with a culture that stifles/abhors new, bold, tall development. The fact that the tallest as-of-right areas in Boston are 400 feet is a joke. It's not economic viability. It's zoning viability.

No, it's economic viability. Boston can't offer the sort of ROI that SFO and NYC can. The sort of wealth needed to foot the bill for 'sexy' and 'flashy' doesn't exist here anymore.

Just trying to understand this better, but as I see it the BRA and developers should be focusing more on urban density then the coveted 800 footer that establish a "(1) unique, (2) predominant city". As far as I'm concerned, Boston has established itself as both far before a skyscraper was even possible. Don’t get me wrong, I would love some height here, but I’m not disappointed in our current, and near future development.

To that, I would say. The buildings only need to be 20% higher, and your density grows by the same amount. The impact on the skyline would do nothing. A 340 foot building becomes 400, a 290 foot building becomes 350. From afar, this would affect little (particularly as they would still be dwarfed by any actual highrises), and would not come near the 600 - 800 foot "towers" we clamour for.

I'm coming around somewhat to buildings like this. They're not great, nor are they awful. What I like is that they are different, but not just because they are different. They are different in that they are not trying to match some sort of Bostonism. The great thing about buildings is the differences, particularly the generational differences. I love the time machine that buildings can be as you walk from neighborhood to neighborhood or block to block.

This building doesn't try to do too much. There's no bolt ons. It's not a Pontiac from the 90's with a bunch of plastic glued on to be sporty compared to the Chevy. It's just a residential high rise, that contrats well with some surrounding buildings, but blends into the area quite nicely.

I'd also say, any kind of "signature tower" in this location would be much more odd and eye jarring than this inoffensive effort.

Anyways. By all means, carry on with whatever one liners or labels you can come up with to entertain yourselves.

No, it's economic viability. Boston can't offer the sort of ROI that SFO and NYC can. The sort of wealth needed to foot the bill for 'sexy' and 'flashy' doesn't exist here anymore.

If you say so. Must be the same thing for Washington DC and London.
FYI, last year downtown Boston office rents were significantly higher than downtown SFO. So San Fran must be a low cost of living space with limited taxes and no unions for your ROI argument to make any sense.
Or maybe it's zoning.

The original design was great.... A How did we end up with this boxy POS?

If you say so. Must be the same thing for Washington DC and London.
FYI, last year downtown Boston office rents were significantly higher than downtown SFO. So San Fran must be a low cost of living space with limited taxes and no unions for your ROI argument to make any sense.
Or maybe it's zoning.

Agreed. People who say Boston is a small city, lacking economic vitality, have never been to the sort of cities that actually warrant such a description.

The problem with a building like the Kensington is that it helps to encourage "mediocrity creep". Bit by bit, over time, lower standards are accepted then become the norm. This won't be the case for every new building of course, however look at the American house: vinyl siding, vinyl doric columns, vinyl picket fencing. 50 years ago it couldn't have been imagined, today no one bats an eyelash.

The biggest issue I have with Kensington is the color inconsistency of the pre-cast. If it had been planned from the start to have lighter and darker panels it could have been an interesting facade. But to design it using panels all the same color, then try and save a few bucks by putting up off-color panels that create random blotches, is the very definition of mediocrity creep. The prime offender in this though is NU's International Village.

I don't like the boxy L-shaped design. The materials. OR how fat it is altogether.

Mine, from today. Is the crane coming down?

img_0857_2.jpg

There's a smaller, more conventional crane set up roughly in the alley between this and the Tam. Not sure if it's for dismantling this crane or the Jacob Wirth project.

The park angle is definitely the least offensive.

I actually think the slopes atop Millennium Place have aged well compared to their buzz-cut brethren. Incentivize more slopes!

Back