The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

Nice to see it looks better from the inside than it does from the outside haha.

Great views too

Walked by this last night going out to chinatown for late dinner. I didn't even realize i was under it. It blends on the ground pretty well actually. I was pleasant surprise, until i looked up, but still. This area will have some solid density when this current round of activity is done.

9403127783_bc4c1d0f02_c.jpg

9405887958_d6059b25f1_c.jpg

What was there before?

This may sound weird, but if you get an obstructed view of this building it's not half-bad. The problem is when you see the whole thing (that's what she said)

What was there before?

This may sound weird, but if you get an obstructed view of this building it's not half-bad. The problem is when you see the whole thing (that's what she said)

The pedestrian-level front of the building (with the brown surfacing) is the worst looking thing on Washington Street in DTX (yes, even worse than the abandoned Barnes and Noble storefront and the Lafayette Corp. Center). To me that's the most offensive thing about it. There are McDonald's in the hinterlands beyond 495 that look better.

I can live with the rest as a decent-enough skyline fill and density increase.

For me the worst things about it are the glassier (spandrel dominated) side, and the top. It sucks and it's trying to stand out which makes it even worse.

What? I don't remember any parking garage where the Kensington is now -- just the Gaiety and Glass Slipper buildings.

that parking garage is still there

the garage sits next to the Archstone building / next to Q and across from Xinh Xinh

It's funny when a parking garage facade, newly redesigned, is infinitely better than Kensington's crap-brown Wash. St. facade. I agree with FortPointGuy ^^

Any chance we can stop taking pictures of this building? The problem is that I cant un-see it.

cca

It's also funny how each and every section as it was revealed on here has gotten such universal panning (well except for a couple of apologists floating around)....the first precast panels, the first glass panels, the garage, the wavy side, the crown, and now the base have all gotten massive WTFs from us ABers. Is there some overreacting on our part? Probably. Does this thing suck massive donkey balls? Absolutely.

I will admit that the interior looks nice.

well except for a couple of apologists floating around

Reporting in! The ground level is a mess. The orange is breathtakingly bad. It should have been stone -- or something else organic. A glass box would have worked too. I still like the tower though. I have yet to see the interiors in person.

Overall, I still strongly support the concept of a large apartment building on that site. Already, DTX is a palpably better neighborhood. It feels awesome walking down that street now.

This was not always the case. This building is among the reasons why I'm bullish about that area. DTX will become one of the premier neighborhoods of New England, maybe even the east coast. Mark my words.

Last edited by a moderator:

Those kitchens look really cheap (especially the wood finish), but if it is a rental building, then it will be passable.

Back