The "MERC" at Moody & Main | Waltham

Re: The "MERC" at Moody & Main

This development makes me so happy. I can't believe that the original buildings were demoed as late as 1979! As awful as that was, it gives me hope that just 35 years later we've learned from our mistakes and are starting from scratch with buildings that resemble in some form what was there before (architecturally and urban/street-level wise).

This is definitely a very positive development. How is the Moody Street retail situation doing? I know a lot of businesses, especially restaurants, closed last year or the year before, but the other day driving through looked pretty alive...

This is definitely a very positive development. How is the Moody Street retail situation doing? I know a lot of businesses, especially restaurants, closed last year or the year before, but the other day driving through looked pretty alive...

Getting new businesses lately. Boston Beer Works is moving into the old Watch City Brewery Spot and a new bar is moving into the Skellig location. Also Moodys Delicatessen is expanding into the building next door.

Any idea what these are going to go for?

"The project is one block from the Waltham MBTA Commuter Rail Station with service to South Station via the Fitchburg/South Acton Commuter Rail Lines …"

Oops.

No word yet Arch. They are "luxury apartments" and a few units will be affordable.

A point of reference are the new apartment buildings along Pleasant Street in Watertown, e.g. Currents on the Charles (technically on River Street in Waltham).

http://www.currentswaltham.com/floo...=&floornumber_max[]=&wpv_filter_submit=search

1BR units there are starting at around $2,200, in an area that's not really T-accessible. (I don't know whether those rents include parking.)

Any good reason why the Merc is in "Boston Developments" -- but the Prospect Place and 3rd St. Projects in Waltham both located only a mile or so further out but out on RT-128 --- are lumped into the same place as Lowell and Worcester

Prospect Hill in Waltham is closer to the olde or New State House than a number of locations within the City of Boston, let alone Quincy Center, Westwood Station, Legacy Place in Dedham, etc.

This is just plain IDLTSIMBITS* bias -- especially for a city such as Waltham where commercial development and increasingly high density residencies are split between the traditional downtown and the Intersection of Wyman with Winter / Totten Pond & the #ed Avenues

By the way -- i think from the scale of the foundation work, etc. the Prospect Hill developments are considerably larger

*I Don't Live There So It Must Be In The Sticks

^
Actually the placement of the threads seems appropriate to me. Downtown Waltham is the last gasp of streetcar-metro-boston-land. Anything further west is the sticks, practically speaking. I would put anything in waverley in belmont here as well... But once you beyond waverley it's immediately rural. Quincy is without question connected by an unbroken level of urbanness to boston. Dedham is in between - downtown Dedham definitely socioculturally is not very attached to boston, even though it's very close to the border.

There isn't necessarily a logic on here regarding what gets placed where, but I think the other factor is that larger developments are more interesting and get placed here, where they will get more attention. I think the greater boston New England area gets checked a lot less.. Partly because it's placed so far down. I think it would be better to have a metro Boston section that was with the other for Boston categories, and then have the rest of New England's remain down on the bottom.

edit, deleted error

Last edited:

AFAIC, every project/thread inside/along Rte 128 should be in "Development Projects". Doesn't matter if western Waltham is suburban, it's "Boston Metro" which is what the description says that sub-forum is for. Waltham, Woburn, Wellesley, Braintree, etc., should all be in this sub-forum, not in "Greater New England". I've been trying to get "Waltham Developments" thread back here to no avail...

Back