The New Retail Thread

IMG_7578.jpg

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

What is Marina Rinaldi?

Who the fuck cares? We're getting a Christofle! Just like Beirut.

Marina Rinaldi = women's high end plus size clothing.

Who's taking over the City Convenience? I can't read the sign on the door.

Oakley,

The new Gucci boutique will carry the same assortment as the current Copley location. The space may be slightly different in size, however only back of house will feel the sq ft changes. The store itself will be far different, showcasing the new look of Gucci, if you're familiar with the 5th Ave flagship in Manhattan which is unbelievable. The store will feature several rooms dividing the collections.

Initially, Badgley Mischka, Fendi, Judith Ripka, Balenciaga, and a few others were either in talks about the available spaces or trying to secure leases. Some have opted for other available spaces said to be on Boylston and Newbury. Cartier was one who didnt acquire a desired space.

Prada is rumored to have acquired the garage space on the 1st block of Newbury where they will open an epi-ceter around 2010.

Hugo Boss wants to expand and bring in womens and additional mens lines into one large store, but is facing a bit of difficulty with their additional lease, the Orange store on the second level of the mall now.

Louis Boston has been rumored to be in a bit of trouble for a few years now. My view is that the Louis brand is riding on a high horse of the past and never chose to update apperancein regards to merchandising, turn up the creativity to compete with new entries in the city and surrounding area, and create a new attitude more attractive to potential customers. Never a great experience going into that store and the merchandise isnt as great as they think, lol. They are supposedly interested in a hanger in the S. End near Rocca and Bobbys. I thik that would be the best idea as that area is coming alive with retail and eateries, would make it more of a destination. If they make the other needed chages, would definitely help the brand.

Ralph Lauren probably would have gone for the building had they not spent so much for the current location. Definitely the style of Ralph Lauren... Reminds me of the Mansion, the RL flagship on Madison Ave in NYC.

In all honesty, I believe the best candidate for thespace would have been that destination of a mania brand...LV... flying LV flags outside that building and giving it that beautiful french twist on the inside would have been amazing. That alone would do wonders for that entire area, not just Newbury street...

Ahhh.... ah ha, okay, my apologies Ron. The Prada concept of a retail location showcasing all that the brand has to offer in grand display is basically a flagship store. So, having said that, Prada has been scouting Boston for a location for over a decade and may have finally found their prize... It makes sense that many locations in Copley and on Newbury have been passed up by the fashion house now that it is known that their talks are on the flagship wave length.

Wanted to see if Prada has shelved it's Boston plans due to the economy. If did they purchased that garage space, I wonder if they are just waiting until things start to turn around before putting its plans in motion.

It's interesting that the Mandarin Oriental shops haven't been able to fill the remaining shops. I guess they opened at the worst time possible.

Any news on where Louis Boston is going (they move out in the spring of next year, correct?) and who may be looking at the current location?

:(
I hope this thread doesnt become closed retail thread.

IMG_7757.jpg

Robeks at the triology

:(

Down the street
IMG_7769.jpg

IMG_7771.jpg

Oh, btw, Stephi's on Tremont (restaurant, like Stephanie's on Tremont) is now open in the South End.

Subway's floor is three steps up from the sidewalk. Check out the amount of wheelchair ramp, railing and pickets generated by the code to respond to that fact. Intimate relationship between sidewalk and shop window, eh?

I edited this post.

Cz's next comment won't make sense. I was in a foul mood when I posted. What I wrote was pure snark and completely uncalled for.

Sorry.

I've had this argument with ablarc before. From what I remember, we were able to reach a consensus that we shouldn't discriminate against the handicapped, but shouldn't commit aesthetic malfeasances, either. I've seen some handsome wheelchair-accessible ramps - the best by far being Le Corbusier's at the Carpenter Center, of course, but the best purpose-designed one is actually in Radcliffe Quad. The problem is that we can't expect every small business to be able to afford the kind of chic ramp design that's available to institutions like Harvard.

A better solution for Subway here might have been to lower the ground floor of the shop, or at least the entrance, and let it taper up gently toward the ground floor. What was this building that it's high off the sidewalk like this, anyway?

I give them plaudits for thinking of this, though. The ADA doesn't apply retroactively, which is why most of the upstairs-downstairs stores on Newbury Street are charmingly inaccessible to the handicapped. This must have been Subway's own initiative.

What was this building that it's high off the sidewalk like this, anyway?

A bunch of the buildings on this side of the street were built similarly, with a full basement that's ground level at the rear. Perhaps it was cheaper or for stock loading?

Meanwhile, in Harvard Square..

Despite store closings, square keeps dealing

By Victoria Leenders-Cheng
Globe Correspondent / March 8, 2009

The state of the economy is given visual punch in and around Harvard Square, where prominent storefronts stand empty amid the bustle of tourists and hurrying students.

The gutted Bowl & Board store lies sprawled at the easternmost edge of the square, while the Crate & Barrel's former location on Brattle Street towers in vacant majesty. The windows are papered over at Cross and adorned with "To Lease" signs where Z Square once stood, just around the corner from each other at JFK and Brattle streets. The Alpha Omega store at the heart of the square, too, remains unoccupied.

Appearances, however, can be deceiving, said Denise Jillson, executive director of the Harvard Square Business Association, who added that for stores in the area, it is business as usual. Indeed, for many, business is better than ever.

"I can't comment on the sentiments of people walking through the square, but we had a restaurant committee meeting last Tuesday and they said that this past Saturday was their best night in years," she said. "I don't mean to be looking at the world through rose-colored glasses, but we're OK."

Jillson said Harvard Square continues to be busy perhaps because "people don't have the money to go to Vermont or Europe or Disney, but they still need to experience something fun, outdoorsy, and quirky."

Some observers say that such store closings were inevitable in the district's cut-throat and highly priced retail environment.

Mark Giarrusso, owner of the Bowl & Board, said, "Harvard Square got a little too upscale."

"Leases went up and price points went up," he said, and a slowdown in retail sales was the final ingredient creating a financially untenable situation for many business owners.

Giarrusso characterized the vacancies in Harvard Square as a market correction.

While apologizing for prophesying doom, he said, "You have to have disaster and failure first, and the property and business owners regroup, rents come down, and people take risks and bring back the funky stores that keep the area fun and hip."

Almost in concert with the timeline of the economic downturn, a series of storefronts in Harvard Square, including Bowl & Board, have broadcast that now-familiar mixed message of shopping bargains and struggling retail over the past year.

Alpha Omega's apocalypse-style sale placards floated around the T station in early 2008, "store closing" signs at the Bowl & Board surfaced later in the year, and 75 percent off banners hung in Cross in January.

"We're living in a tough time, and a lot of businesses can't afford the rent," said Sheldon Cohen, who ran Out of Town News until 1994.

Cohen also publishes an annual map of the city that is dependent on advertisers, many of whom are located in Harvard Square, and he has watched the area's businesses come and go.

Still, Cohen noted that some advertisers declined to buy space on the map this year because of the economic downturn. "Some people use [the downturn] as leverage not to be bothered with you," he said.

Debate about high rents - always a sore topic - and the presence of national chain stores in the square resurfaced when Crate & Barrel closed its well-known Brattle Street glass doors in January.

Jillson pointed out that more than 80 percent of the businesses in Harvard Square are either locally owned independents or regional chain stores. She said two recent closings, Z Square and Life is Good, are regional chains.

"Z Square went out of business, and people loved that restaurant, but if you ask people who know this stuff, it was just poor planning," she said. "And the Life is Good concept in that location never really worked. Sometimes you get a location that's inappropriate for the kind of business it is."

Whatever the relationship between the nation's economy and fortunes of businesses in the square, Jillson and Cohen, both veterans of the industry, emphasized the importance of remaining optimistic.

"I keep going," said Cohen. "I look for new people and new ideas - you have to give in order to succeed."

"People continue to need things and they need to eat," Jillson said, adding that new additions to Harvard Square, such as Crema Caf? and Passport Boutique, a travel goods store, have so far been successful.

Noting that both of those enterprises are run by young women, she added, "The Harvard Square Business Association used to be the Harvard Square Businessmen's Association," emphasizing the word "men."

"But it's women who are really running the square now. They're merchandising their product and making it."

A lesson, perhaps, for the folks still trying to steer the country out of that deepening recession.

Link

Chefs tickled by prospect of fresh produce by the Pru
March 8, 2009

Gucci, Lacoste, Saks Fifth Avenue - and tomatoes?

This summer, Prudential Center shoppers, tourists, and neighbors could be picking up their evening's dinner just steps from the mall.

Dave Gilson, owner of the Herb Lyceum at Gilson's restaurant in Groton, is working with owner Boston Properties to open a farmers' market on the building's cement plaza bordering Boylston Street.

The market, which would run on Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., would be directly managed by 14 vendors, including six to eight farmers. Vendors who have signed on to the project sell products like Asian greens, mozzarella cheese, chocolates, bread, baked goods, and high-end desserts.

It has also sparked interest from Legal Seafoods, whose Prudential Center executive chef, Kevin Watson, has committed to buying fresh foods from the market to use in his cooking, Gilson said. Chefs from Sel De La Terre and L'Espalier have also expressed interest, he said.

"People are more conscious and conscientious about where their food comes from, where it had to travel," said Gilson, who hopes to get the Boylston Street market running by May 21. "The best tasting produce you can get is when it goes from its vine or soil to you in the shortest amount of time."

That's one reason why the market, which is still awaiting permission for parking in the area, would become one of nearly 200 markets in the state this year - including one Tuesdays and Fridays at Copley Square - up from 100 markets statewide in 2003, said Jeff Cole, executive director of the Federation of Massachusetts Farmers Markets, of which Gilson is a board member.

MAGGIE CASSIDY

Link

You know, I have to agree with the line about Legal Seafoods, having just two locations in the mall (and a third down the street in the Theatre District) just isn't enough.

I'm glad these are proliferating in Boston. I wonder what they'll do to business at the Haymarket, though.

Not much.

Haymarket is much cheaper, and you always get at least some produce that's damaged or over the hill. Appeals to families on tight budgets, especially the recently-arrived.

Farmers Markets appeal more to yuppies and BoBos.

re Harvard Square: so why did Z Square fail? It always seemed busy whenever I went in there or just passed by it.

The Z Square closing was weird. At first they had a sign on their door saying that they had an electrical problem and that they'd open up the next day. That sign stayed up for a week or two and was eventually replaced by another saying that they were out of business.

As for Haymarket, to echo Ablarc, it'll be fine. People mistake it for a farmer's market, but it's not at all. The rumour is that most of the stuff is remainders from Shaws, Stop and Shop, etc. Cheap for sure, but not necessarily local or organic.

Unfortunately Z Square won't be re-opening in this spot, they have filed for bankruptcy and will be dissolved. It's a challenging location in that you are essentially paying $50K a month for a basement.

Back