The New Retail Thread

There are 4:
3 on Congress St (1 in Fort Point and 2 next to each other right past Waterside Place)
1 on Northern Ave.

I agree also about Caffe Nero, and each store had a somewhat unique vibe, which is nice.

Does the city take excessively long to approve permits of restaurants once they are completed? This is a prime example...I've seen it happen with several other spots too.

How is Cafe Nero?

I've been in the UK a few times to Cafe Nero (very popular there), and a few times the employee ringing me up notices the different color stamp on my frequent buyer card and has said, "Wait, you've been to the Boston stores? How are they?? I've heard they're huge and so nice!" So perhaps they're putting an extra touch in their initial foray into the US?

*Hallelujah chorus*

Anna's Taqueria to Open in the Prudential Center in Boston's Back Bay

A local group of restaurants that focus on Mexican food will be opening a new location within a busy shopping area in the Back Bay of Boston.

According to a post from BostonTweet, Anna's Taqueria is planning to open a shop within the Prudential Center, with a picture in the tweet showing the name of the eatery and a "coming soon" below it. Once it opens later this year, the new location will join seven other shops in the local area, including one other store in Boston, two in Brookline, two in Cambridge, one in Newton Highlands, and one in Somerville.

Anna's Taqueria, which first started out in 1995, is known for its burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, and it is particularly popular with college students because of the affordable prices of the meals there.

The website for Anna's is at http://www.annastaqueria.com/

http://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2016/09/annas-taqueria-to-open-in-prudential.html?m=0

Dunkin lost ground when they changed roasters a few years back from New England Coffee in Malden,MA to Standard Coffee of North Carolina. Not as good now.

Two things I noticed yesterday:

Teavana has closed in the Pru. I always got a free sample whenever I walked through... so sad.

But more importantly, the H&M on Washington St in Downtown Crossing is currently liquidating and I'm told that they will close Sept 18. That will be quite a large vacancy. I wonder if the building owner has a new tenant on board?

That sucks. Until Primark came along, H&M was pretty much the only store in DTX that my wife would shop at.

Does the city take excessively long to approve permits of restaurants once they are completed? This is a prime example...I've seen it happen with several other spots too.

It has nothing to do with the City, per se... it's all about scheduling the Fire Department to get them to do the final walk-thru/sign-off on the sprinkler/alarm system, etc. It delays most openings by at least a month from what I've seen. Presumably BFD has many more priorities that take precedence over these walk-thrus. Seems the only solution is to carve out a permanent space on BFD force dedicated only to doing these walk-thrus? (Assuming there isn't one staff already whose sole responsibility is that...).

Warby Parker and Shinola are both opening stores in the Pru.

Back