The New Retail Thread

I agree, the city should stay out of it. Mom and Pops will fail if they come too soon.

Not sure if this was previously mentioned, but there are signs up for Blue Mercury in 101 Seaport (on the corner next to Starbucks/By Chloe)

I know a lot of you guys shop there, but Wet Seal on Winter Street seems to have closed a couple of weeks ago. Similar to Forever21 I guess.

I know a lot of you guys shop there, but Wet Seal on Winter Street seems to have closed a couple of weeks ago. Similar to Forever21 I guess.

Thanks. I forgot the chain existed to be honest (not that I'm their target demo, but they just feel like one of those that hasn't been relevant for a decade or so). And while this gives away entirely too much about how exciting my night is going, I did a google search for Wet Seal and it looks like the entire chain is closed/closing. So at least it's not a DTX thing- it's a Wet Seal is mercifully leaving us thing.

Thanks. I forgot the chain existed to be honest (not that I'm their target demo, but they just feel like one of those that hasn't been relevant for a decade or so). And while this gives away entirely too much about how exciting my night is going, I did a google search for Wet Seal and it looks like the entire chain is closed/closing. So at least it's not a DTX thing- it's a Wet Seal is mercifully leaving us thing.

It's right next to Spencer Gifts, across from the Cinnabon.

Blue Mercury banners up in the windows of 101 Seaport - its on the corner next to Starbucks/By Chloe. Soul Cycle is also now open in 101 Seaport.

Also the 2nd location of Everybody Fights is now open on Franklin Street downtown.

http://boston.eater.com/2017/3/6/14789940/tuscan-kitchen-market-portsmouth-open

So I was looking up info on this place that just opened near me, and saw that another location was going into one seaport square. Not sure if you guys already knew. Looks to be a similar idea to eataly.

There are a few locations. Burlington, MA and Salem, NH I believe. Calling it similar to Eataly might be a bit of a stretch but they do have a market attached to the restaurant that sells things like pastas, sauces and oils, meats and some prepared items. It will do well in the Seaport. Might take some business away from Babbo next door initially.

Blackbird Donuts opening up in Fenway. It will be located at 20 Kilmarnock Street - the new Van Ness building right at the intersection of Kilmarnock and Boylston.

Target in Central Square is open (or at least soft opening)

Might take some business away from Babbo next door initially.

I think with 800+ new units opening at One Seaport Square this year, a few thousand new office employees, the movie theater, and hotels, there'll be enough business to go around.

BTW, I went to Yoki Express last night at the PWC building and ate my first sushi burrito... really delicious! That whole line of fast casual restaurants was very busy around 6:30PM: Aceituna Grill, Yoki Express, Chipotle, and Tikkaway Grill. Kudos to whomever did commercial leasing for that building--it really activated the block.

Last edited:
WS has done all of the retail in Seaport Square blocks and they now own the rest of the development blocks (not just the retail).

I remember hearing about this and then forgetting...

Anyway, the new Roxy's Grilled Cheese & Burgers that opened at the ground floor of the Takeda Pharmaceuticals building on Mass Ave in Cambridge apparently has a hidden speakeasy inside it...ya know, for those times you need a cocktail w/ your grilled cheese:

http://cambridge.wickedlocal.com/ne...al-squares-new-speakeasy-style-arcade-and-bar

I've been there and it's fantastic. It's not really a speakeasy, since the point is the arcade games. Don't go on a weekend though, I've heard you can't get in. I went on a Thursday night and could barely move around in there.

Another subject: Target is technically open for a soft opening.

http://www.cambridgeday.com/2017/03...rget-getting-grand-opening-sunday-in-central/

I've been there and it's fantastic. It's not really a speakeasy, since the point is the arcade games. Don't go on a weekend though, I've heard you can't get in. I went on a Thursday night and could barely move around in there.

That's so funny; I walk that stretch of Mass Ave all the time & it's such an unassuming fast food storefront. Would never guess there was a jam-packed arcade back there.

Lots of interesting flavors and way better than anything you'll get at Dunks. They're a bit pricey at $3 each so not an every day kind of thing. Definitely worth checking out if you're craving something sweet.

https://www.blackbirddoughnuts.com/menus

Union Square Donuts is better IMO. Blackbird was kind of a letdown.

With that said, I'd take the older/more old-school local donut shops any day. Cheaper and more normal.

I do dig the brand that Blackbird has though.

^I hate to badmouth a place in my hood but yea blackbird was a let down for me too. They also own The Gallows and I'm a huge fan of that, go there intead!

Union Square Donuts is better IMO. Blackbird was kind of a letdown.

With that said, I'd take the older/more old-school local donut shops any day. Cheaper and more normal.

I do dig the brand that Blackbird has though.

Agreed, I would love to see more donut shops in the space between Dunkin and "Artisanal". Just high-quality, fresh and simple donuts.

Back