The New Retail Thread

Perhaps Boston is just attracting a more discerning class of tourist. If so, this is a good thing.

Perhaps Boston is just attracting a more discerning class of tourist. If so, this is a good thing.

Discerning tourists typically prefer uniqueness and authenticity rather than run of the mill chains, no?

I was happy/surprised to see a Filson Store on Seaport Boulevard (their east coast locations are only NYC & DC).

We're on D Street so in-between Seaport and South Boston, we use Peapods for orders and Foodies on West Broadway a couple times a week plus take-out.

We don't really eat a lot of food.

I still don't understand where Seaport dwellers get their groceries right now, and particularly before the DTX Roches opened. Driving to other neighborhoods? Delivery?

I'm sad to see Durgin go, BTW I did have lunch there in the last 6 mos. The food was okay but 99/100 times I'd rather go to Clarks around the corner for a sit down lunch. At Durgin, the bar on the first floor seems to always be busy, the restaurant upstairs not so much.

During a recent visit to Reading Terminal in Philly, I saw a contrast between Quincy Market and the Philly market: in Philly the landmark eateries inside the market seemed to be popular with both locals working downtown and tourists, Quincy market market seems to be 100% overrun with tourists and kids school field trips.

But what was authentic about that place?

It's a 192 year old restaurant that has served local cuisine in the same space for it's entire existence.

I think we have different criteria for 'authentic'.

I was in Faneuil Hall / Quincy Market for the first time in years a few days after Christmas. My God, what a failure Ashkenazy's management of F.H. has been. I remember reading about all the life they'd bring to the complex when they got the lease a few years ago ... and I assumed at least some of that would have happened by now.

What a sorry sight it is. It reminds me of the Arsenal Mall food court in its final days (or what I assume the neighboring Watertown Mall may still be like). The Food Court is essentially exactly as it was in the early '90s (I was half-expecting an Orange Julius); the pushcarts reminded me of South Street Seaport from the '90s; and the brief glimpse I caught of Durgin-Park would not have compelled me to eat there if I were a tourist unfamiliar with the place. Basically F.H. felt like a 1990s time-warp, with a Sephora and Uniqlo thrown in for good measure. What is Ashkenazy doing - and does the city have recourse to revoke their management?

Itchy, good to see you back here.

I agree completely. We were in the area and stopped in for the “Blink” light/sound show that happens every half hour. The PR they put out about this makes it sound like a big deal. It was actually pitiful, like I literally felt pity for anyone who went out of their way to be there.

A lit-up tree sparkling in somewhat of a rhythmical approximation to a loud recording of “all I want for Christmas is you” - have I landed in some retirement community outside of Dubuque?

Ugh.

As we all know, for some reason, Faneuil Hall is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. I was surprised to see it gets 4 stars on TripAdvisor with recent reviews commenting on how great the food selection was, the history of the building etc. So while the space doesn't seem to interest many locals, it clearly is working as a tourist destination and there may not be much incentive for Ashkenazy to make any significant changes that could draw locals too.

As we all know, for some reason, Faneuil Hall is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the city. I was surprised to see it gets 4 stars on TripAdvisor with recent reviews commenting on how great the food selection was, the history of the building etc. So while the space doesn't seem to interest many locals, it clearly is working as a tourist destination and there may not be much incentive for Ashkenazy to make any significant changes that could draw locals too.

Yeah. It's always pretty active when I walk through. And while I mostly don't shop or eat there (sometimes the "local" 15% discount at Mmmac and Cheese is worth it), I actually quite enjoy walking through it. It's aesthetically pretty, there are no cars, and I enjoy the relatively consistent level of activity. It's definitely due for some retail improvements, but as far as corporate-y, national chain-heavy tourist attractions go, Faneuil Hall is pretty decent. Especially with the connectivity to Boston Harbor, NEAQ, etc. We could do a lot worse.

Reminds me of Pier 39 in SF.

It's a "must see" destination, and it absolutely is unique if you are like most Americans where you come from a souless suburb and know Olive Garden as fine dining.

But if youre from a city, its only worth it for the sea lions.

Faneuil Hall doesnt have those though

I like the Public Market and I generally like where it is - a location that will make even more sense when everything around North Station and the Government Center Garage takes shape. But I wonder if there was a missed opportunity to interweave the public market into Quincy Market, thereby creating a mix of local vendors with great products catering to both tourists and locals, along with and interspersed with national chains and other tourist must-haves.

Other than that, I struggle a lot with what Quincy Market should be in an ideal world, but oftentimes I come up rather blank.

I like the Public Market and I generally like where it is - a location that will make even more sense when everything around North Station and the Government Center Garage takes shape. But I wonder if there was a missed opportunity to interweave the public market into Quincy Market, thereby creating a mix of local vendors with great products catering to both tourists and locals, along with and interspersed with national chains and other tourist must-haves.

Other than that, I struggle a lot with what Quincy Market should be in an ideal world, but oftentimes I come up rather blank.

The "Time Out Market" concept that holds contests for local chefs/restaurants to win space for stalls could have fit well, perhaps, but we're getting that at the Landmark Bldg. in Fenway instead (which is less central in the city...).

I like your hybrid idea for Quincy Mkt: keep a few stalls dedicated to local-only vendors (and perhaps use the food contest approach)...pay the bills with other tourist must-haves.

Reminds me of Pier 39 in SF.

It's a "must see" destination, and it absolutely is unique if you are like most Americans where you come from a souless suburb and know Olive Garden as fine dining.

But if youre from a city, its only worth it for the sea lions.

Faneuil Hall doesnt have those though

Great comparison. I do love watching those sea lions though. All we have are seagulls. LOL.

Eater: Tiffani Faison’s Not Done Growing Her Fenway Empire

Dana Hatic said:
If running three restaurants seems like a challenge, Tiffani Faison stands unfazed against naysayers: Since 2011, the acclaimed restaurateur, Top Chef alum, and frequent participant in local charity events has built up her culinary esteem with a wildly successful restaurant empire in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood — and she’s not done. This summer, Faison will open an Italian restaurant called Orfano within the Pierce Boston building at the corner of Brookline Avenue and Boylston Street.

[...]

Roslindale update, of sorts:
Distraction Brewing's opening has been delayed (again), and according to an inside connection this is directly due to tariffs resulting in decreased availability of some of the metal parts needed (I forget now what).

The Square Root - which was proposed as a three-party business, mixture of cafe, workspace and performance venue - is in the same building and looks pretty close to being ready. These two venues will add quite a lot to the square.

Meanwhile, there's a local proposal to trial making adjacent Birch Street pedestrian only, that apparently is supported by the local businesses.

Steel, I would be pretty sure. All the big equipment in a brewery is stainless steel.

Cultivar is closing after a year and a half. This is sadder, and more jarring (in my opinion) than Durgin Park going. It was really good, and the space was nice. The Statement from the owner: “Due to a series of unforeseen events that have created the perfect storm, it is with a heavy heart we announce that today Cultivar will be closing its doors.”

https://boston.eater.com/2019/1/9/18175802/cultivar-closing-downtown-boston-mary-dumont

Cultivar is closing after a year and a half. This is sadder, and more jarring (in my opinion) than Durgin Park going. It was really good, and the space was nice. The Statement from the owner: “Due to a series of unforeseen events that have created the perfect storm, it is with a heavy heart we announce that today Cultivar will be closing its doors.”

https://boston.eater.com/2019/1/9/18175802/cultivar-closing-downtown-boston-mary-dumont

Yes. It's a shame. The name of the place that Cultivar replaced escapes me at the moment, but that was terrific at the outset too. It had a great aesthetic and good food. The Boston food scene is tough.

Back