The New Retail Thread

Looks like the inevitable is finally happening - KO Pies is out in August, "Seabiscuit" will take its place. I've only been here in Eastie a short while, but I've come to love KO. Seabiscuit is allegedly getting the recipes, but I'm going to go with the OG as long as possible.

Given that Panera Bread owns ABP and has a majority stake in Tatte, this is not at all surprising.
This gets brought up a lot but it's not true. While Panera once owned a stake in Tatte (for about a year) they have owned none of Tatte since 2017.

Tatte is not owned by Panera.

Ron Shaich was the owner of Panera, and they bought a stake in Tatte back in early-2016. At the time it was reported as "Panera buys Tatte." However, Schaich sold Panera to the German holding company that also owns Caribou Coffee, Peet’s Coffee, and Krispy Kreme the next year, in 2017. Panera's stake in Tatte didn't transfer with this sale. It remains with Schaich.

Shaich is a local guy, and as well as Tatte he's also a major investor in /owner of Life Alive, Clover, and CAVA.

Interestingly, Shaich's original restaurant - The Cookie Jar in DTX - was purchased by Au Bon Pain back in the '80s. ABP was later going through bankruptcy, and Shaich acquired the chain. Shaich's ABP then acquired the store that would later became Panera in the early-90s. ABP was then spun off from Panera in the late-90s but later reacquired by Panera in 2017. Today, ABP and Panera are under the same holding company, but without Shaich.

That's a few decades of musical chairs in the Boston bakery chain space.

Last edited:
Walked by Bed Bath & Beyond today at 401 Park. Closing signs up.
FDCC4C74-37CB-4FC7-ACD4-535EC9B365D6.jpeg

Walked by Bed Bath & Beyond today at 401 Park. Closing signs up. View attachment 15286
Surprised they aren't milking it for one last college move-in with that only being a month away...unless their lease is expiring sooner. Although it never made much sense that a location this convenient surrounded by this many college students on all sides could ever be as consistently empty as it was.

Surprised they aren't milking it for one last college move-in with that only being a month away...unless their lease is expiring sooner. Although it never made much sense that a location this convenient surrounded by this many college students on all sides could ever be as consistently empty as it was.

the Mega Target a couple of blocks away killed it

Does anyone else think steakhouses seem really old fashioned? I’m a pretty avid foodie and eat at restaurants of all price points, but never at steakhouses. I don’t even hear people talk about them. And yet they seem to be popping up like weeds. Maybe tourists eat at them? Or an older demographic (I’m 38)?

Nice! Wolfgang's is my favorite NYC steakhouse (IMO better than the much-revered Peter Luger).

As they've expanded quality - at their NYC restaurants, at least ... no idea how the ex-NYC ones are - has gotten a little variable. But still great.

Back