The New Retail Thread

TV's on in a bar? AWESOME, I'M IN!!! I LOVE GOING OUT SO I CAN DO THE SAME THING I DO AT HOME.

Not a slam against you, I just HATE TVs in bars. It's 50% commercials no matter what station is on ...

I agree. Its one thing I hate about Boston, it;s almost impossible to find a bar without a TV.

Drink doesn't have any televisions. They do have a bug collection, and a bar that weaves through the room to create nooks for people to have conversation, as opposed to a long straight counter that really doesn't encourage interaction. And the bartenders are pretty awesome, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about Drink. I'm worried I wouldn't be allowed in; at least one of the Fort Point Channel residents thinks I hate the neighborhood and he hates me, based on a nasty comment he left on Yelp! which will now live on for eternity, smearing my good name.

BTW, two other bars I can think of are Tremont 647 and Sister Sorel, in the South End. There's a TV in Sister Sorel but I've only seen it on once, during the Academy Awards.

Franklin Cafe doesn't either, I don't think. Nor does Aquataine.

Wait, maybe it's not that uncommon.

I forget, what were we talking about?

Washington Square Tavern is a great TV-less spot. Some nights they don't play any music either (I think it depends who works the bar).

Might i also recommend the bar in Woodward at the Ames hotel.

I don't need TV's on in a bar, but it's a perfectly fine added distraction. What's wrong with looking up from your beer every couple minutes to check the Celtics score? I don't see how that hurts the experience of those who don't care about the Celtics.

While on the topic of TVs in bars, Delux in the SE has a TV that only shows cartoon network (seriously, it's on 24/7 and they won't change the channel). How ironic, how anti-establishment, how . . . lame.

I don't need TV's on in a bar, but it's a perfectly fine added distraction. What's wrong with looking up from your beer every couple minutes to check the Celtics score? I don't see how that hurts the experience of those who don't care about the Celtics.

While on the topic of TVs in bars, Delux in the SE has a TV that only shows cartoon network (seriously, it's on 24/7 and they won't change the channel). How ironic, how anti-establishment, how . . . lame.

You're so right about Delux...trying waaay too hard to be hipster cool with the cartoon network nonsense.

You're so right about Delux...trying waaay too hard to be hipster cool with the cartoon network nonsense.

And don't forget the cans of PBR. Somehow like 5 years ago, hipsters discovered PBR and made it their own. I guess they never got the memo that some people still drank it.

They did. That's what they like about it. It's ironic to be hip young urbanites behaving like coal-shoveling Appalachian folk.

What? You can't drink alcohol at home?

Drinking at a bar is supposed to be a social experience (whether or not televisions enhance that experience is dependent on the specific bar). Drinking at home isn't social, unless you've invited company over. In which case, the home is a virtual bar.

Note: I don't know when the hell I decided I to take authority on what determines a good bar. I'm not 21, so please feel free to put aside anything I have to say as irrelevant.

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry for that. I just swore after reading an article recently I would scream the next time I saw or heard the word "hipster" again. Now I have, now I've screamed, now I'm reset.

What's wrong with hipsters? They like the good stuff: PBR's the best beer ever, the '80s was the best decade ever, and the original Nintendo was the best gaming system ever! Oh, and don't forget about moustaches -- John Oates style, of course.

The new Boylston block:

4457964271_9b2dec2507_b.jpg

The store to the left (where Jack's Drums used to be) is getting a coffehouse called "Pavement." The signs on the window say it's owned by the people behind Bagel Rising and Espresso Royale.

4458742926_c1d919d4aa_b.jpg

Does this mean this block will be happenin' for about a year till folks discover what I think they already know: you can get nearly everything you want for free on the Internet?

Sad but true.

We are living in the Age of Piracy, when --it has been discovered-- intellectual property is the easiest to steal.

Borders and Barnes and Noble realized it. That's why they're trying to make themselves into more of an experience, adding cafes and live music and what not. Trying to add that homey sense that independent book stores usually have.

That "Books + Music" store devotes just as much floor space to sweatshirts and coffee mugs as it does anything else.

AAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry for that. I just swore after reading an article recently I would scream the next time I saw or heard the word "hipster" again. Now I have, now I've screamed, now I'm reset.
Now tell us what a hipster is. How can you recognize one?

(There used to be people called hippies. They were awfully easy to recognize, because they had pronounced traits.)

Back