The New Retail Thread

I wonder if people in ireland complain when someone opens a pub.

If it's an "authentic American" pub with an asphalt shingle roof over the bar (installed by a real life Canadian roofer) I bet it would get a few guffaws

If it's an "authentic American" pub with an asphalt shingle roof over the bar (installed by a real life Canadian roofer) I bet it would get a few guffaws

Oy nowh, nut enutha Amehikan phub!

Located at the top of the escalator near Legal Seafoods when entering through the Boylston Street Prudential Center entrance.

Bad location but perhaps good if you ever need an extra iPod and don't want to walk across the street?

IMG01057-20110124-1608.jpg

Located at the top of the escalator near Legal Seafoods when entering through the Boylston Street Prudential Center entrance.

Bad location but perhaps good if you ever need an extra iPod and don't want to walk across the street?

IMG01057-20110124-1608.jpg

I saw this a couple weeks ago. It's a great idea. At times like this when Newbury St is dead, no one wants to be walking out that way. Most tourists probably don't even know there's a Best Buy there, especially the winter-time ones. There will always be tourists (albeit a smaller number in winter) and the Prudential Center is where they will always end up, so Best Buy has set itself up in one heck of a good situation here. The Pru is also missing ANY kind of a general electronics store (besides GameStop).

^ There are a bunch of those in airports now; you can see them in the JetBlue terminals both in Boston and at JFK. I've always wondered how often someone is going to spend hundreds of dollars on, say, an iPod when serendipitously spotting one of these while walking through the airport or down the street - doesn't seem like it would be enough to really justify stocking and maintaining them.

Putting one at Forest Hills gave me a case of the lol's.

that's the one i saw too, but it made perfect sense to me when i saw it in December-- i didn't buy ipods or ipod related stuff for gifts for xmas, but I'm sure many of my fellow commuters did, and I would absolutely love to be able to buy xmas gifts 5 feet away from where I fill my Charlie Card.

I think they are great if:

A.) you already have decided you want to buy one during say a holiday rush or what not, and this would be a good way to avoid lines of shopper at a real bestbuy.
B.) You need some last minute storage for your camera/camera has broke while on a vacation.
C.) You are on your way to someplace and need a last minute (albeit expensive) gift, and pharmacy toys won't cut it lol.

Probably pretty good for prepaid phones too.

I assume you can (must?) return it to a retail outlet should the need arise?

I think they are great if:

A.) you already have decided you want to buy one during say a holiday rush or what not, and this would be a good way to avoid lines of shopper at a real bestbuy.
B.) You need some last minute storage for your camera/camera has broke while on a vacation.
C.) You are on your way to someplace and need a last minute (albeit expensive) gift, and pharmacy toys won't cut it lol.

Probably pretty good for prepaid phones too.

I assume you can (must?) return it to a retail outlet should the need arise?
D.) It's -2 outside and you don't want frostbite while trudging up Newbury St.

and yes, it is a standard Best Buy receipt, returnable at any store.

If it's -2 outside I probably wouldn't have walked to the Pru mall either (or if I had a car I'd have probably driven to a suburban Best Buy or something).

If it's -2 outside I probably wouldn't have walked to the Pru mall either (or if I had a car I'd have probably driven to a suburban Best Buy or something).

Don't forget theres an e-line stop inside the complex.

Still have to walk your ass to the T from wherever you are...

Don't forget theres an e-line stop inside the complex.

And an Orange Line stop, for that matter -- you can walk all the way from Back Bay Station to the Prudential (and beyond to the Hynes and Sheraton) without going outdoors.

On the other hand, you don't really have to go outdoors to get from the Hynes T station to the Best Buy in the same building.

And an Orange Line stop, for that matter -- you can walk all the way from Back Bay Station to the Prudential (and beyond to the Hynes and Sheraton) without going outdoors.

On the other hand, you don't really have to go outdoors to get from the Hynes T station to the Best Buy in the same building.
Yes, the Orange Line link through Copley Pl is wonderful too.

The point is one-stop shopping. If you're in the Pru already shopping you might as well just stay there instead of trudging outside in -2 weather or taking a train to Hynes (very inconvenient for E-line users). And to get nitpicky - yes, you actually do have to walk outdoors to get from Hynes to Best Buy. It's a few steps, but still outdoors.

I think vending machines (even selling ipods) look kind of tacky in a nice mall.

I feel violent

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1312531

Labor activists are lining up against Wal-Mart?s plans to move into Boston, as the retail behemoth tries to get ahead of critics by quietly chatting up city officials and scouting neighborhoods for the best store locations.

The world?s biggest discount chain started laying the groundwork for a market-shifting move last fall. Boston City Councilor Michael Ross said he?s met with Wal-Mart executives who are hoping to open one or more of its smaller-size stores in the city.

?These are pre-emptive meetings on their part,? Ross told the Herald yesterday. ?Wal-Mart has been criticized in the past, and they want to get in front of that, avoid controversy and demonstrate that they have changed, they are no longer your father?s Wal-Mart.?

Russ Davis, executive director of Massachusetts Jobs With Justice, said his coalition of labor, community and religious organizations has concerns about the giant retailer.

?Obviously they have saturated rural areas and small towns and the only place to grow is large cities,? he said. ?If Wal-Mart is coming here, we want to make sure they are not going to destroy small business and give people (low-wage) jobs.?

Steven Restivo, a spokesman for the Bentonville, Ark.-based company, said Wal-Mart is aware that its new stores sometimes spark controversy and the retailer wants to start conversations in advance of filing plans with the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

?We?re having conversations with community stakeholders, elected officials and business groups in an effort to better understand the unique challenges facing Boston and how we can work together toward solutions,? he said.

Restivo declined to identify what Boston sites the company is considering or reveal a timetable for a new store. The closest store to Boston is in Quincy.

He said Wal-Mart is ?evaluating opportunities? in urban areas for its Neighborhood Market store format, which averages 42,000 square feet compared to the typical SuperCenter that measures 185,000 square feet and includes a full grocery section.

?The reality is in large cities and small towns that customers want to shop at Wal-Mart,? Restivo said. ?We create quality jobs, generate tax revenue, support local nonprofits, serve as an affordable option for groceries and other products that families need.?

Davis, the Jobs With Justice director, insists Wal-Mart has lots of negatives, such as lower wages and fewer benefits compared to Stop & Shop, which is a union shop.

?I know lots of people like shopping at Wal-Mart because prices are lower, but they are one of the most hard-core antiunion companies in America,? he said.

Wal-Mart?s potential move to Boston and other large U.S. cities comes as the chain shifts its strategy to boost profitability. Sales have fallen for five consecutive quarters at U.S. stores open at least a year.

Low prices and many jobs?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Back