The New Retail Thread

Yes let's allow unions dictate what's best for Boston. After all their stewardship of enterprise worked so well for the economic health of Detroit, Flint, Akron, Cleveland, Buffalo.......

My main gripe with Wal*Mart is the unethical treatment of their employees. IF they have cleaned up their act, then I might start to accept the company as a whole, but I'll always shop at Target. Good service, Starbucks, cleaner, etc.

I prefer Target as their stores are nicer, cleaner and better organized than a Walmart. But, I do appreciate Walmart's strong anti union stance as I feel unions are a joke and only cause harm.

My main gripe with Wal*Mart is the unethical treatment of their employees. IF they have cleaned up their act, then I might start to accept the company as a whole, but I'll always shop at Target. Good service, Starbucks, cleaner, etc.
Shhhhhhhhh...but don't tell jass that

I prefer Target as their stores are nicer, cleaner and better organized than a Walmart. But, I do appreciate Walmart's strong anti union stance as I feel unions are a joke and only cause harm.

So which is it?

Lobbyist?
CEO?

Easy to sit behind a computer screen and judge eh?

Oh darn,

Looks like I'll have to go to Target for my overpriced crap

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2011/01/wal-mart-expansion-plan-hits-labor.html

Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s strategy to open at multiple locations in Boston has hit a snag, as labor groups appear mobilized to block the retailing giant?s advances.

That?s according to a Tuesday report in the Boston Herald, which said Boston City Councilor Michael Ross has had discussions with Arkansas-based Wal-Mart about its local expansion plans. Ross told the Herald that the stores would be smaller than Wal-Mart?s traditional retail layouts.

The Herald said the plan is already running in to opposition, noting that Russ Davis, executive director of Massachusetts Jobs With Justice, said his group is intent on ensuring Wal-Mart ?is not going to destroy small business and give people (low-wage) jobs.?

Considering even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston (shadows, too much traffic), no shit that when x is proposed, then there is an article about opposition.

Wal-mart, dog park, house, office tower, cvs...it doesnt matter. Opposition.

Don't know if this was posted....

A mexican place (Mija Cantina & Tequila Bar) will be replacing Cheers at Faneuil Hall.

Liberty Wharf signed a mexican place too.

Four Burgers is planning to open on Boylston Street where Commonwealth Books used to be.

Via: Boston Herald

Don't know if this was posted....

A mexican place (Mija Cantina & Tequila Bar) will be replacing Cheers at Faneuil Hall.

Liberty Wharf signed a mexican place too.

Four Burgers is planning to open on Boylston Street where Commonwealth Books used to be.

Via: Boston Herald
This news...is all very good

I never thought that the faux Cheers in Faneuil Hall should've even been there. The moron tourists would ask me where the real Cheers was.

Also, Four Burgers is not too shabby. They have really good vegetarian sangviches (yes I am a tofu tree-hugger), and even better fries.

Sigh, RIP another bookstore.

The fake Cheers was at least a good decoy that kept tourist hordes away from the (sadly former) Bull & Finch. The fake airport Cheers = an even better one!

I drove by the Commonwealth Books spot last week and was shocked to see it gone. Ugh

I never thought that the faux Cheers in Faneuil Hall should've even been there. The moron tourists would ask me where the real Cheers was.

Also, Four Burgers is not too shabby. They have really good vegetarian sangviches (yes I am a tofu tree-hugger), and even better fries.

Cheers is NOT going away. Sam's (at Cheers) is the only thing going away. The space was sold over the summer and it officially closed on Jan 4. Cheers will remain in Faneuil.

Commonwealth Books has been empty for about a year now. I'm not sure if the one in DTX near Old South Meetinghouse was there before this, but I discovered it after the Boylston Street closure and have been using it since.

Commonwealth Books moved from Boylston Street to Spring Lane (just off Washington St) some time ago. They now have two stores one block apart -- the other one is in the basement of Old South Meetinghouse, with entrance on Milk Street.

Their other former store at the Hotel Commonwealth is now Symposium Books.

Why is a tourist who asks where the real Cheers is a moron?

Big news everyone, supposedly there is a sudden -- and completely unexplainable -- increase in shovel and snow blower retailers.

Do you want tourists spending money here?

Are you serious? I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but of course we want tourists spending money here. Tourism is a critical aspect of our city.

I don't really understand how "Do you want tourists spending money here" is a logical response to someone asking you why you called them morons for not knowing something local.

Back