The New Retail Thread

Wlgreens needs to add a nce place (perhaps a book nook?) where people can have a coffee while browsing a magazine, preview listening to some CD's or while they are waiting for a pedicure

I hope they are crative in the use of the facility

Abotut competition:

just down the street from my house in the same group around a common parking lot we have a Starbucks, a Trader Joes's and a stand-alone Walgreens which sells grocery products, ice cream novelitites and some frozen fast foods.

Package all the feaures of the above collection of shops into the iconic building at School St on Washington location and Walgeens would have made a giant step in the rebirth of DTX

Now if we can get a super Target in the Millenium Filenes block and then perhaps Macys could update to compete

Surprised there aren't any Walgreens downtown - given the number of CVS locations - nearest one is in Back Bay at Copley.

Surprised there aren't any Walgreens downtown - given the number of CVS locations - nearest one is in Back Bay at Copley.

Not too long ago there was a Walgreens at the edge of Downtown Crossing at the corner of Summer and Otis streets in what is now a Citibank. It closed about 4-5 years ago. It wasn't a very good Walgreens. Very small and cramped.

hell-o...an eyebrow grooming bar...finally!

On another note, it's interesting for the "intense competition" people cite, that the grocery and drugstore sectors in Boston proper (I hear the situation is better in the burbs) are so lame. If it's a competition, it's a race to the bottom.

There is something about being small and cramped that made it feel more urban somehow.

I was actually somewhat disappoint when I read Duane Reade was going away from that model. (Though from I read they had other problems that needed to be fixed.)

There is something about being small and cramped that made it feel more urban somehow.

I was actually somewhat disappoint when I read Duane Reade was going away from that model. (Though from I read they had other problems that needed to be fixed.)

The Summer Street Walgreens didn't stand a chance once CVS opened their huge location at Summer/Chauncy streets in the old Syms space.

This is a win win for the area. I personally love Walgreens. The whole DTX area generates a ton of foot traffic and will give the people who work in the area a solid option for lunch or a snack.

People love to harp on the fact that some undesirables do hangout there, but they are far outnumbered by people who work in the area and tourists.

The only better option would maybe be a flagship type REI or City Sports.

Ohhh, love the idea of REI here. But they already have their Landmark Center location and seem to be content with current saturation (one in Boston, one 15 miles north, one 15 miles west, and one 15 miles south).

First reaction:

Walgreens? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

*Reads artcle*

Ok, hopefully they pull this off.

First reaction:

Walgreens? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

*Reads artcle*

Ok, hopefully they pull this off.

Same only mine was more like...
First reaction:
Walgreens? are we serious?
*reads article*
Oh. that's actually kinda neat. It could work.

Same only mine was more like...
First reaction:
Walgreens? are we serious?
*reads article*
Oh. that's actually kinda neat. It could work.

More: on Millenium Walgreens

28walgreen_photo4.jpg

The Illinois drugstore chain will model the Boston location after two it recently opened in New York City and Chicago.

These massive emporiums feature sushi stations with chefs, juice markets with smoothies, eyebrow grooming bars, expanded natural and organic sections containing fresh fruits, vegetables, wraps, sandwiches, and salads made daily. The upscale shops also offer more traditional goods, such as prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines, and household products.

“This is an opportunity to do something unique and different in such a high-profile location,’’ said Michael Polzin, a Walgreen Co. spokesman. “There are a lot of people walking by on the Freedom Trail, and it will be a great destination for people who live and work in the area and for out-of-town visitors.’’

...the grand building was originally home to the Boston Five Cents Savings Bank. Walgreens, which signed a 30-year lease, is taking over the first floor, the basement, and the mezzanine and is considering using space on the second floor.

A fitness club is one of a number of businesses eyeing about 16,500 square feet on that upper level, said several people briefed on the talks.

“We had hoped to draw a flagship retailer like Walgreens who would invest in this site. It’s unlike any pharmacy you’ve ever seen,’’ said Michael Murphy, executive director of Clarendon Group USA Inc., which owns the building. “Walgreens will bring an array of products that will address a lot of needs in the Downtown Crossing area.’’

Keys:

1) Walgreens like Millenium -- deep pockets -- $72B sales 2011
2) location on Fredom Trai & one of the best corners in Boston
3) Major commitment -- 30 year lease
4) innovative company -- see the Fast Company award
5) well matched to need of both the resident and transient community

Let's see what they present for their plans -- but at this stage it looks like there is going to be a new chance for DTX anchored by two of the great old buildings: Filenes and Boston 5

I have noticed at the former DTX Barnes and Noble site, there are signs saying fresh art is coming soon. Doesn't look like any work is being done and the signs have been up for weeks.

And just across the street from the Ace Ticket demo, a banner promises that The Yard House will open on 03/11/2012, just in time for St. Pat's, and Opening Day.

I've only been to a Yard House once. It was the centerpiece of a rather joyless lifestyle center off of PGA Boulevard in Palm Beach Gardens, the sort of place that Jim Kunstler loves. Dunno how this'll go over, 200 yards from Beer Works. I think I'll stick to Crossroads.

Yes, yes. Quite, quite. Because their concept in Palm Beach will be exactly like their concept in Boston.

Yes.

Quite.

I have noticed at the former DTX Barnes and Noble site, there are signs saying fresh art is coming soon. Doesn't look like any work is being done and the signs have been up for weeks.

I'm pretty sure... years.

I've been to the Yard House in Dedham and a couple on the West Coast. They're fine. Generic "upscale" bar food. A bunch of beers on tap. The focus on a large central bar. It will actually fit in quite well with the pink hats and tourists at Fenway.

Back