The New Retail Thread

Maybe so, but some of us were too wasted to remember them. No memory, no foul.

Toby -- I think the expression for which you are searching your cranial cloud is "the mind is the 2nd thing to go -- dam I can't remember the 1st"

But personally whether it's Java or Bier -- Stay Thirsty My Friends Romans and Fellow Globaists

The Back Deck is now open in Downtown Crossing, at the corner of West and Washington. The pictures are from last week before they were officially open. Sorry for the delay and low quality. Looks nice. I plan on going after work tonight.

http://www.backdeckboston.com/

backdeck3.jpg

backdeck1.jpg

backdeck2.jpg

Macy's is giving DTX a vote of confidence

from the Herald

Downtown Macy’s expands hours, will add bookstore
By Donna Goodison
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - Updated 12 hours ago

Macy’s Inc. is giving a vote of confidence to efforts to resuscitate Boston’s Downtown Crossing.

The department store chain has extended the hours of its Hub store and plans to incorporate a Barbara’s Bookstore section in its lower level to fill the void left by Borders’ closure last year.

Macy’s is now open an hour later every day (until 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 p.m. Sunday) and an hour earlier on weekends (at 9 a.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. on Sunday).

The extended hours are a result of increased foot traffic from businesses, new residences and tourists, spokeswoman Elina Kazan said: “The Downtown Crossing store is a key door for Macy’s.”

I presume that the quote might actually have been " "spokeswoman Elina Kazan said: “The Downtown Crossing store is a key store for Macy’s.”"

Fantastic!

Data -- that was my first reaction -- then I found out what a Barbara's was compared to a Borders

Let's not get too excited -- purely by scale:

Barabara's is one stall selling fruit at Haymarket
Borders is (was) a Super Stop and Shop

I wanted to bring the Galeria Kaufhof in Alexanderplatz home with me from Berlin and put it on top of Macy*s. Department stores have sooooooo much more/a broader spectrum of products in Europe... like a whole wall devoted to soccer balls, cafeterias, grocery stores, etc!

And a beautifully-lit in neon green pink travertine facade...

4.1239061380.galeria-kaufhof.jpg
GALERIA-Kaufhof-Berlin-Alexanderplatz-01.jpg

Look at the wonderful street/plaza experience at ground level.

Last edited:
I wanted to bring the Galeria Kaufhof in Alexanderplatz home with me from Berlin and put it on top of Macy*s. Department stores have sooooooo much more/a broader spectrum of products in Europe... like a whole wall devoted to soccer balls, cafeterias, grocery stores, etc!

And a beautifully-lit in neon green pink travertine facade...

4.1239061380.galeria-kaufhof.jpg
GALERIA-Kaufhof-Berlin-Alexanderplatz-01.jpg

Look at the wonderful street/plaza experience at ground level.

Nice but too much next to the Commies {statues of Marx and Engels for those unfamiliar with Alexanderplatz}

I would prefer we get Dussmann-Kulturkaufhaus in der Berliner Friedrichstraße to take over the Burnham Filene's to provide some books to keep Macy's in-line

82841dd75b.png
dussmann-2.jpg

Last edited:
I absolutely loved Dussmann's too. That is how a media store should look and it is nearly crucial for DTX to have something like it.

I absolutely loved Dussmann's too. That is how a media store should look and it is nearly crucial for DTX to have something like it.

Yes -- it is definitely one of the best -- where else except in Poland can you chose from several gardening books in Polish and buy a nice stainless steel trowel and miniature pitch fork in the same area

Even Blackwell's in Oxford didn't have that many choices for Polish Gardening Books and it claims to be Europe's largest bookseller -- well worth the visit if you are in Oxford or London (there's a slightly smaller one there)

798px-Blackwell_bookstore.jpg

Maybe we need a KaDeWe (which, I think is just a rebranded Karstadt) downtown :)

Nein. KaDeWe is just ridiculous. We have Copley Place for that kind of shopping. In fact, they have the same shops that are in the KaDeWe.

Why is Panera expanding in this city and not Au Bon Pain?

Because Panera is wildly successful and delicious and Au Bon Pain isn't either of those. Au Bon Pain (the chain as it exists today) no longer has any connection to Panera.

Everything at Panera tastes processed to me. I think ABP is better quality. Problem is in the layouts and the experience leaving something to be desired.

I wish a brugger's bagels, or some artsy fartsy version of it would come to JP. The bagels at City Feed, DD, and JP Licks suck!

Because Panera is wildly successful and delicious and Au Bon Pain isn't either of those. Au Bon Pain (the chain as it exists today) no longer has any connection to Panera.

I was not saying they're connected. Just wondering why they are not expanding more, when Panera is.

Personally, ABP is a lot better than Panera both food wise and the store setup.

Au Bon Pain and Panera for a while were the same company. The history is very confusing.

Back