The New Retail Thread

I'm now listed as having signed the petition - which I did NOT do. I don't understand how this could have happened.

I'm now listed as having signed the petition - which I did NOT do. I don't understand how this could have happened.

That's a big downside to e-petitions. Very insecure. I don't know if there is a way they could ever be secured/verified.

They could have sent me e-mail asking for confirmation. Instead, they sent me e-mail informing me that I had signed the petition, without providing any way to say "No, I didn't" other than opening a support ticket.

They could have sent me e-mail asking for confirmation. Instead, they sent me e-mail informing me that I had signed the petition, without providing any way to say "No, I didn't" other than opening a support ticket.

Wait, so they used your e-mail when they signed it as you? That's really strange. E-mail couldn't really be used as verification anyway because you can enter any e-mail in.

Better a retail area be crowded with froyo shops than with banks.

^ Hah. Reminds me of a quote from a local developer out here in my neck of the woods: "They don't trust a free market in Berkeley," he said. "They might open too many yogurt stores and the world might end or something horrible might happen - like all the vacancies would go away."

This isn't about "new retail" per se but is about the Boston retail real estate market...

"The head of Carlyle’s real estate group, Robert Stuckey, said in an interview that the firm sold the retail condominium in 666 Fifth Avenue at a time when retail property in other cities offer more compelling returns. Mr. Stuckey said that, with rents on Fifth Avenue approaching $3,000 a square foot, cities like Boston and San Francisco offer a better potential return on investment.

"'There’s more upside there,' he said. Carlyle’s partners in the deal included Crown Acquisitions and Kushner Cos.

"Mr. Stuckey said that Carlyle is looking at retail property on Newbury Street, a major retail corridor in Boston. It doesn’t have the same foot traffic or international draw as Fifth Avenue, but with ground floor rents asking $80 to $100 a square foot, there are compelling opportunities, he explained."

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2...e-retail-space-in-new-york-fetches-1-billion/

Anyone have an idea what kind of hours the Walgreens will keep?

One of these larger flagship-type stores just opened in the heart of Hollywood and is open 24 hours a day in an area lacking full-service grocery options, which makes me wonder if this Boston store will fill a similar role. It could be a good stop-gap measure until we get the critical mass of residents in the area to support a Shaws or Target or what have you.

Last edited:
Just was in one of these in DC (at the Van Ness/UDC metro stop). Nice-ish but an odd combination of standard Walgreen's dime-store sections abutting pretty nice cosmetics sections. The grocery section is certainly not going to give any grocery store much competition. More of a mega convenience store.

Just was in one of these in DC (at the Van Ness/UDC metro stop). Nice-ish but an odd combination of standard Walgreen's dime-store sections abutting pretty nice cosmetics sections. The grocery section is certainly not going to give any grocery store much competition. More of a mega convenience store.

This is one of their flagship stores, its going to be fairly high end.

Porter Square is getting one of these too, in space most recently occupied by Pier One Imports (first floor) and Blockbuster Video (second floor).

Porter Square is getting one of these too, in space most recently occupied by Pier One Imports (first floor) and Blockbuster Video (second floor).

Directly across the street from a CVS.

These types of stores are all over the place in the UK. I didn't quite notice the expense as I was being reimbursed, but I thought they were actually quite convenient to grab something quick during the day.

Thinking Cup coffee shop expands with new North End location.

Boston’s North End has a new coffee house to compete with more than a dozen cafes and pastry shops in the neighborhood.

The Thinking Cup on Hanover Street is the latest European-style cafe. The 60-seat java house has taken the space previously occupied by Filthy Rich, a jewelry store, according to NorthEndWaterfront.com. Similar to its first location on Tremont St. across from the Boston Common, the new cafe features espresso, lattes, teas, sandwiches and pastries.

More: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2012/12/thinking-cup-debuts-in-north-end.html?ana=twt

The second Pret A Manger has opened on Boylston street. I think it's in part of what used to be Borders.

What do you think of putting another Super-Walgreens in the Tower Records building at 360 Newbury? Square footage would be more or less? Could they sub-divide? Is there enough demand (esp. with the new buildings EVENTUALLY going up on Parcels 12-15)? Would neighbors hate it any more than what was there before?

Back