The New Retail Thread

Granny Carts can be most commonly spotted being ferried between Malden and Chinatown. 24/7/365.

8290765187_6e88d413fb_b.jpg

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/2012...allery/cQ9ds6OjVzKjH6hYVU6HkL/story.html?pg=1

Not sure where to put this since it covers a lot of different projects.

It's a slideshow of 2013 projects.

The former Chestnut Hill Shopping Center — recently renamed "The Street" — is scheduled to open in the fall of 2013.

Plans call for the first Shake Shack in Massachusetts, Showcase Super Lux featuring Davio’s Cucina, The Sports Club/LA, Polarn O. Pyret, Pottery Barn, lululemon athletica, Pinkberry, Del Frisco’s, Bernard’s, Treat Cupcake Bar, and many others soon to be announced.

Capital One bank plans to open its first branch offices — at least six — in the Boston area starting in late 2013 to promote its growing online banking division. But the McLean, Va., bank says they won’t be traditional branches with teller lines and safe-deposit boxes. Instead, they’ll be sleek marketing offices, called “cafes,” that will serve up coffee and other amenities. If they are anything like cafes in other cities, they will include free wireless Internet access, flat-screen televisions, and comfy furniture for hanging out.

New York-based supermarket sensation Wegmans is pushing ahead with plans for its second big store in Massachusetts, this one in the middle of an office park near Interstate 95/Route 128 in Burlington.

Starbucks is going to open a store next to the Broadway T stop in South Boston.

A two-level Nordstrom Rack will open in Boston’s Back Bay in the spring of 2013. With about 38,000 square feet of space, the store will occupy the space left by Filene’s Basement, which filed for bankruptcy. The space along and around Newbury Street has undergone many changes.

New J.P. Licks stores are scheduled to open on Boylston Street in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood, Lynnfield, and Somerville.

Whole Foods will open in six new locations by the fall of 2013: South Weymouth, Arlington, Charlestown, Brookline, Melrose, and Beacon Street in Somerville.

I don't know what's going on with this rehab... the building is gutted and exposed and not much seems to be happening.

Also: Isn't this where Room & Board is going? If so, why are they still advertising the flagship opportunity?

How do ice cream stores make money? Their prices cover their rent during the cold months?

I'm hoping / expecting a second Starbucks will open in the South End in 2013. The new Chevron condo building at 518 Tremont Street has first-floor retail and would make the perfect location. Yes, it's close to the other Starbucks (at ~627 Tremont Street) but completely different neighborhood.

The new shop would probably encounter little opposition from neighbors although the constant idling in front would be annoying (seeing as I live four doors down). There's a bus stop 50 feet away which people would probably use to park, which would also be annoying.

How do ice cream stores make money? Their prices cover their rent during the cold months?

Well, based on experience with my family's business, which includes candy and once included ice cream... You could very well face a month in the red. But it's going to be cheaper to pay a month of rent and sell some ice cream than it is to pay a month of rent and sell nothing. Need to make enough during the peak months to cover the losses in the slow period.

I'm guessing you've never been to JP Licks. While ice cream is a major component of their sales model, they've built am enormous following locally for their diverse selection of premium coffees, teas, and pastries. Summer or winter, they've adapted their business model to be profitable year round and essentially become the Boloco of cafes in Boston.

Also, their reward/loyalty program rocks.

Boston is also a place where people eat ice cream year round. (Florence, Italy is another.)

Boston is also a place where people eat ice cream year round. (Florence, Italy is another.)

I don't have a link to back it up but I thought I remember reading something that said more ice cream is sold in Boston per capita then any other city in the country. While local ice cream places don't do anywhere near the volume of sales in winter that they do in the warmer months, they still do plenty of business. It's also possible that some ice cream places have deals with their landlords that allow them to pay less rent in colder months and more in warmer months when cash flow is better. The landlord still gets the same annual rent.

Thank you for this information.

Related, the JP Licks on Charles Street has been empty every time I've walked by during the day. Weekdays, that is, but not a good sign.

Location is not prime, in my opinion.

Thank you for this information.

Related, the JP Licks on Charles Street has been empty every time I've walked by during the day. Weekdays, that is, but not a good sign.

Location is not prime, in my opinion.

The one at Brigham Circle has steady business all day.

^^The JP, Davis Square, and Coolidge Corner JP Licks' are always moderately busy to busy when I've gone, day and night. The Newbury one use to be busy as well... shame they had to close it, but looking forward to the Boylston St. one they announced. Any idea where on Boylston that one's going?

Where Looney Tunes used to be at 1106 Boylston. Next month, I hear.

A few comments:

1) That valuation strikes me as very low. Considering some recent online acquisitions, just their IP alone (assuming they own it) should put them up several hundred million. Sounds to me like Zipcar believed they were quickly running out of cash, which isn't hard to believe in such a capital-intensive line of business. It just strikes me as odd - and bodes ill for the future of innovation - that a non-product like Instagram could be valued at multiples beyond a tangible game changer like Zipcar.

2) Zipcar and traditional rentals have very different business models and a different basis in consumer demand. The best result would be Avis keeping the acquisition entirely at arms' length. If the Avis dinosaur swallows Zipcar whole, then... essentially... goodbye to Zipcar. And, if Avis is looking to integrate Zipcar's core technology into its traditional Avis/Budget rental business, then I believe the result will be a net increase in prices for consumers, along with a flexibility that most traditional rental consumers won't want or need.

3) Another Boston business lost to Parsippany, NJ. Sigh

Back