The New Retail Thread

Any know what is taking so long with the build out of the "Super" Walgreen's in Downtown Crossing? First they were opening in the fall (according to Boston.com: http://www.boston.com/business/gallery/walgreens_downtown_crossing/), then "late" fall then winter and now spring. I walked by yesterday and it still looks like a long way to go. I'd be surprised if it opens before May/June. Strange that Walgreen's isn't pushing this faster. After all, it has been almost year since the February 2012 announcement.

I'm guessing they are having complications with the building itself. Probably a lot of unseen challenges that come with brutalist buildings.

I'm guessing they are having complications with the building itself. Probably a lot of unseen challenges that come with brutalist buildings.

"What do you mean the walls arent made of cardboard!?!"

I wonder what this will do to the almost-adjacent CVS. I've always hated that CVS.

Any know what is taking so long with the build out of the "Super" Walgreen's in Downtown Crossing? First they were opening in the fall (according to Boston.com: http://www.boston.com/business/gallery/walgreens_downtown_crossing/), then "late" fall then winter and now spring. I walked by yesterday and it still looks like a long way to go. I'd be surprised if it opens before May/June. Strange that Walgreen's isn't pushing this faster. After all, it has been almost year since the February 2012 announcement.

This might be the latest:

Walgreens flagship store ( under construction) opening up Winter 2013

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...lications/Downtown Crossing Retail Opened.pdf

These doors were blocked off when 10-24 School St. was used by Borders. They are being restored, with variations in the brass similar to the way they originally looked, according to Michael DeFazio, senior director of store concepts for Walgreens. Credit: Becca Manning

Color me surprised

UBurger replaced a bar called Red Sky. The bar had been in there for 7-8 years or so. It replaced a restaurant called Naked Fish.

"Boston Chops" opening in former Banq/Ginger Park cursed space on Washington St in South End in Penny Bank building. Brought to you by the 30 year-old restaurateurs behind Dbar and Deuxave.

Apparently the delay was because of an entitled upstairs neighbor.

Not sure if anyone has posted yet, but they're getting pretty close to opening a new 5 Horse Tavern in the South End (the original is in Somerville). It will occupy the former Columbus Cafe space on Columbus Ave.
Only a beer and wine license so they're planning to have a fabulous beer list to make up for the lack of spirits. Something like 20 taps in a relatively small space.

Has anybody noticed that there is now paper covering the windows on the old RKO Theater building on Washington Street, next to Millennium Place? I noticed this walking by on Friday. I couldn't see inside to see what was going on. It would be great if a new business was going in there to help activate that sidwalk.

Back