The New Retail Thread

Rethinking the Johnson Building (and especially its façade) is certainly worthwhile, but I don't want to see library and shelf space reduced.

Not every single building needs to have commercial storefronts. A major public institution should look like one.

Ron -- skipping the explosive interactive invective

Here's a bit more from the head of the BPL quoted in today's Herald on-line

Boston Public Library President Amy E. Ryan said today space could be made for a retail venture at the library’s Copley Square location if its Children’s Room is moved to another spot, but that would be better determined by a feasibility study outlined in the organization’s 2013 capital budget.

“We are open to thinking about retail options. That’s the whole point of the feasibility study,” Ryan told the Herald. “As library president, I have to make sure library services are improved, enhanced and brought up to date. That’s front and center. Questions have arisen about are we using the building to its physical potential. The feasibility study will shine a light on that.”

The study would also outline options for “enhancing” the Rabb lecture hall, and the front entrance of the Central Library’s Johnson Building. The library submitted its budgets to the City of Boston in March.

Ryan said a retail venture would only work if it was connected to the library’s mission of learning advancement, adding stores like Nordstrom and Target would not be considered.

“We can’t accommodate that kind of footprint,” she said. “The heart of this discussion is creating larger library space for kids and families.”

So it looks like they will review the use of the Johnson building with the model of the recent enhancements to the Hynes:

instead of Towne Stove and Spirits -- perhaps Towne Book, Table and Mappe Shoppe

Last edited:
The shear notion of putting a Nordstrom or Target in the BPL was bizarre. Where did that even come from? I'm glad that the BPL is refuting that claim.

The shear notion of putting a Nordstrom or Target in the BPL was bizarre. Where did that even come from? I'm glad that the BPL is refuting that claim.

Data -- I suspect that was just some jr staffer trying to interpret the Mumbling coming out of the Mayor's office -- perhaps the Mrs told him to pick up something at Target on the way home and she/he/? thought that Nordstrom's sounded a bit more "high street"

Finally even the Mayor's office has commented as quoted in the Herald on-line

Dot Joyce, spokeswoman for Mayor Thomas M. Menino, said any retail option at the library would not be “box stores” and that the mayor supported any opportunity to “enliven” the Johnson Building near Boylston Street.

“Anything that would make the library more welcoming to residents and visitors to our city is a good thing,” Joyce said. “Enlivening that section of Boylston Street that is sort of shut off would be a nice feature, but has to be done properly for the library.”

They can start by removing those contemptuous granite barricades along the perimeter of the Johnson Building. They were a ridiculously awful idea to start with. Behind them is virtually all glass. That would open this building right up to Boylston.

I think replacing anymore of the library's space with commercial space is a bad idea. There's already a gift shop and cafe/restaurant in the McKim Building.

I also find it incredible that this mayor is proposing converting space in the perhaps the city's most cherished public institution over to retail while his administration oversees so many new buildings with dead street levels. Where's the retail in the new Liberty Mutual building? Or along Haverhill St with the Avinir or Victor? Etc, etc, etc.

I recall that the McKim building has a cafe and restaurant (which aren't open during hours that many people visit the library!), but does it actually have a gift shop?

I recall that the McKim building has a cafe and restaurant (which aren't open during hours that many people visit the library!), but does it actually have a gift shop?

The cafe has a small cabinet with overpriced tourist merchandise in it. There is no separate gift shop.

I had to really search around on the BPL web site to find information on the restaurant and cafe. The library should first promote these more, and keep them open longer hours, before considering the addition of any other commercial space.

They can start by removing those contemptuous granite barricades along the perimeter of the Johnson Building. They were a ridiculously awful idea to start with. Behind them is virtually all glass. That would open this building right up to Boylston.

I think replacing anymore of the library's space with commercial space is a bad idea. There's already a gift shop and cafe/restaurant in the McKim Building.

I also find it incredible that this mayor is proposing converting space in the perhaps the city's most cherished public institution over to retail while his administration oversees so many new buildings with dead street levels. Where's the retail in the new Liberty Mutual building? Or along Haverhill St with the Avinir or Victor? Etc, etc, etc.

Briv -- yes the walls are more appropriate for a prison than a Public Library ==> particularly one as illustrius as the BPL

But as for the bit about retail or cafe's in the Johnson BPL being inappropriate -- why not -- if you can put a small cafe in the McKim --- one of the world's great public buildings -- putting one in Johnson's bunker is a no-brainer -- see the comments about the Hynes

However, fundamentally the reason why your "incredible" comment is not germane to this discussion -- the city owns the BPL -- it can't and shouldn't force retail into someones private building -- that is up to the owner of the building

Why isn't it germane? The city can and does force various uses on new private buildings through regulations like zoning, as well as other means. It actually plays a huge role in what exactly gets built here.

Also, according to the mayor's office, a justification for this proposal would be "Enlivening that section of Boylston Street that is sort of shut off". This implies the mayor is concerned with quality of the pedestrian experience and wishes to create vibrant, active streets. Yet, his BRA consistently approves buildings that achieve the complete opposite effect by placing dead or disruptive uses along the street, many times in places with heavy pedestrian traffic. So that's why I find it incredible.

I had to really search around on the BPL web site to find information on the restaurant and cafe. The library should first promote these more, and keep them open longer hours, before considering the addition of any other commercial space.

There is a cafe (the Map Room if I recall--nice paintings of famous Boston maps on the walls--very good salads and sandwiches reasonably priced) and a door off the cafe leads to a small restaurant (the Courtyard) that is VERY nice. I had high tea there several weeks ago (about $25 per head, as I recall) and thought it was really very elegant (tea was fine--I don't get too excited by the concept but Girlfriend does). The lunch menu was available for perusal--looked more "cuisinely" than I would have expected for the BPL.

Why isn't it germane? The city can and does force various uses on new private buildings through regulations like zoning, as well as other means. It actually plays a huge role in what exactly gets built here.

Also, according to the mayor's office, a justification for this proposal would be "Enlivening that section of Boylston Street that is sort of shut off". This implies the mayor is concerned with quality of the pedestrian experience and wishes to create vibrant, active streets. Yet, his BRA consistently approves buildings that achieve the complete opposite effect by placing dead or disruptive uses along the street, many times in places with heavy pedestrian traffic. So that's why I find it incredible.

The part referring to the zoning or agreements for a project is germaine -- if the BRA or the Zoning Board, etc., making a new zoning requirement or there is some special arangement with a specific developer on a project with a POD or some such -- fine

But if someone already has a building and is in full compliance with the requirements at the time of construction, modification, etc. -- then its not the business nor the right of the city to interfere

Of course the Mayor can always make a speech and say ... "Be nice if there was more ice cream on the corner of Huntington and Boyston..." -- but the owner of the building can just thumb his/her nose and start serving sorbet .. that's there perogative

I'd chop the new wing in half and run an outdoor path right up the middle from Boylston to Huntington, is what I'd do, with a couple bridges between the two sides.

I'd rather see the BPL space used for Adult and Kids Education classes like BCE offers. They should be using the new building for programs that educate the public. Or maybe offer some of the programs and activities that small business incubators offer, I'd have to think about it more. I dont see a need for more retail space in this area.

I'd chop the new wing in half and run an outdoor path right up the middle from Boylston to Huntington, is what I'd do, with a couple bridges between the two sides.

John -- that creates a marvelous image -- I see Phillip Johnson spinning at high revs

Still like the idea of the thin tower in back corner with a couple of restaurants on the sidewalk across the street behind the Lenox

I would not be surprised if Northeastern bought the long building permanently. They moved a lot of offices over there and I believe the church has already approached them about buying it outright. Its a very juicy piece of real estate for any institution.

Problem is the BPL is in no position to spend money on anything other than essential services. Either work happens with lots of help from the private sector (and a loss of library space) or things stay the same. There is no in between.

I've always thought the Johnson wing should sell development rights for a tower rising above the stacks. Whighlander describes the sort of thing as one of his suggestions. The appeal of this is not just that we might be able to improve the look of the building, but that it would infuse the BPL with money enabling improved services. While I agree with Ron that just any old retail might not be appropriate (library as mall), library as grand lobby for a residential tower would be pretty chic.

Retail news from the BBJ today:

Newton considering banning new bank branches:

They tend to drive out other users, decreasing the variety and the ability of other types of stores and services. As destination locations, they generate little synergy or spin-off and nothing to enliven the village centers at night."

Bobby Flay may open a burger restaurant at Burlington Mall

And the Clark's bar in South Station is to be turned into a CVS:

25,000-square-foot store in the Clarke’s location with an escalator and an elevator to vacant office space on the second floor. The new store would be a few blocks away from another CVS at Chancey and Summer streets.

Walgreens vied for the space, but lost to CVS in a bidding war.

Sad to see this bar go - always packed with people waiting for their train.

Back