The New Retail Thread

Oops - you may be right. And yes, the NEU location sucks. The food tastes different here and the frappes are not prepared as good as at other locations. And hours are horrible. It's like a satellite location...

Thanks Chartwells! :mad:

M. Steinert & Sons has store closing signs in the windows. I've never set foot in the place, but it's sad to see such a long-standing business shut its doors.

On their website it says they are moving to a new downtown location "so the building can be remodeled". There was this blurb in the globe story about upcoming restoration of Steinert Hall(https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/05/22/building-owner-plans-revive-underground-theater-common-that-been-silent-for-years/8MQY5GGMdKgxu8XMa58fBP/story.html):

Paul Murphy Jr., owner of M. Steinert & Sons, said the company will move out of the building, which was built in 1896, while it is overhauled. The company plans to return when construction is complete.

Oh. Excellent. Thank you.

Statler -- certainly hope that Steinert Hall is not only preserved but restored to its original greatness as a legendary place to enjoy a solo piano or other instrumental recital

A little history.

First erected in 1896 by Alexander Steinert, son of our company’s founder, Morris Steinert, the building has served as a magnet for musicians, teachers and students from the very start. M. Steinert & Sons was the first tenant and has remained a fixture here for more than a century.

Over the years time has taken a toll on the building and extensive renovations and repairs are necessary. The sale of the building to B Minor, LLC will allow these renovations to take place. The owner of B Minor, LLC, William Mosakowski, is one of the region’s business leaders, and the founder and CEO of Public Consulting Group, Inc.

Interestingly, Mr. Mosakowski first became acquainted with the Steinert Building in 1998, when he purchased a piano from M. Steinert & Sons. He fell in love with the building and, after many years, finally reached an agreement to purchase this historic gem.

What about Steinert Hall?
....While renovating this remarkable concert space and bringing it up to modern safety standards presents many intimidating challenges, B Minor, LLC will investigate every avenue to try to revive Steinert Hall.

Our thanks, and our promise to you.

Steinert & Sons has been privileged to serve the musical and arts community of Boston and New England for a combined seven generations. We’re not stopping now! We are very excited about the prospect of continuing our tradition of providing the world’s finest pianos with exceptional service to many generations to come. And we look forward to doing it just as we have since 1896 – as the anchor of Boston’s Piano Row.

it all sounds good [pun?] -- except for the uncertainty about Steinert Hall?
DSC_0288+copy.jpg
DSC_0302+copy.jpg

Tatte is opening in Harvard Square where Panera used to be.

Anybody know what's going on in the Pru across from the Microsoft store?

My guess is that they are going to add floors there and put this in.

CM3nLVKUwAAxMWL.jpg

I had assumed the Earl's was going in where Sephora was going (given that they added 30,000 SF above the former Legal's, but now it looks like that retail space is all accounted for.

I have no particular emotion for Earl's but I love the idea of adding level to the Prudential mall and the idea of a retractable roof bar there would be perfect. It would also be right across from the retractable roof area that Eately will be putting over the former food court.

CM3nLVKUwAAxMWL.jpg

I had assumed the Earl's was going in where Sephora was going (given that they added 30,000 SF above the former Legal's, but now it looks like that retail space is all accounted for.

I have no particular emotion for Earl's but I love the idea of adding level to the Prudential mall and the idea of a retractable roof bar there would be perfect. It would also be right across from the retractable roof area that Eately will be putting over the former food court.

The permit says Polo - but I doubt Polo is taking a space that large...

CM3nLVKUwAAxMWL.jpg

I really hope not. It would be a shame if such a huge chunk of space goes to one company. I was expecting Pru to remodel that area and have several retailers.

Wait, there's more retail planned for the 30,000 sq/ft addition? Is Earls still planned for the space as well?

Chipotle opening soon at 10 Park Plaza/City Place. Opposite Starbucks, next to PF Changs on the Charles Street side. If you want burritos, there's already Herrera's inside City Place and Boloco on the other side of PF Changs. I'd be worried about Chipotle's success in the spot if they haven't had such great run recently [/sarcasm].

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Time for Chick Fil-A in Boston -- Menino's gone and even Comrade de Blasio allowed them to open in Manhattan
220px-Chick-fil-A_Logo.svg.png

OK sure. But has Chick-fil-A changed during that time?

I'm gay and love Chick-fil-A, as do many of my gay friends. The company has largely stopping giving to anti-gay causes and charitable donations are actually given by franchise. Some Chick-fil-As in California actually give to pro LGBT causes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/28/it-s-time-for-gays-to-forgive-chick-fil-a.html

The only thing that makes me mad about Chick-fil-A is that I can't get its deliciousness on Sundays.

Chipotle opening soon at 10 Park Plaza/City Place. Opposite Starbucks, next to PF Changs on the Charles Street side. If you want burritos, there's already Herrera's inside City Place and Boloco on the other side of PF Changs. I'd be worried about Chipotle's success in the spot if they haven't had such great run recently [/sarcasm].

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for them.

Not to mention the excellent Maria's on Tremont between The Tam and IT.

I'm gay and love Chick-fil-A, as do many of my gay friends. The company has largely stopping giving to anti-gay causes and charitable donations are actually given by franchise. Some Chick-fil-As in California actually give to pro LGBT causes.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/28/it-s-time-for-gays-to-forgive-chick-fil-a.html

The only thing that makes me mad about Chick-fil-A is that I can't get its deliciousness on Sundays.

Your gays are less affected than mine.
It's encouraging to see the corporate shift from complete and utter anti-LGBT views to...whatever it is now. Yet still, you can probably satisfy your chicken deliciousness somewhere more deserving. Maybe somewhere that actually promotes views of acceptance and inclusion.

Back