The New Retail Thread

Old Navy signage is up on the MT:

iyGZncz.jpg

Giving directions to my $10m penthouse condo ... walk north on Washington and hang a right at the Old Navy.

That is something of a disconnect.

Sure, if you're the type to walk through DTX with your eyes closed and your fingers jammed in your ears, humming to yourself, "La-La-La, I can't see you, Forever 21, Primark, Macy's, GAP, Marshall's, DSW, La-La-La, I'm going to pretend you're something else..." Only a disconnect if you willfully choose to ignore the reality of the surrounding retail environment/market.

Sure, if you're the type to walk through DTX with your eyes closed and your fingers jammed in your ears, humming to yourself, "La-La-La, I can't see you, Forever 21, Primark, Macy's, GAP, Marshall's, DSW, La-La-La, I'm going to pretend you're something else..." Only a disconnect if you willfully choose to ignore the reality of the surrounding retail environment/market.

Not to mention that your peers over in Four Seasons have much worse curb appeal. "Head south on Dalton, and once you're completely surrounded by hotel loading docks, look for the tallest building."

Not to mention that your peers over in Four Seasons have much worse curb appeal. "Head south on Dalton, and once you're completely surrounded by hotel loading docks, look for the tallest building."

Yea but no one is going to walk to the four seasons they'll be in their climate controlled Benz Wagon

If I lived in Millennium and shelled out all that Ceesh I'd be pissed there was an Old Navy on the bottom floor

I would argue that the other retailers in the complex (not down the street) are at least destinations. For whatever reason, Primark is a destination store, and so is the Roche Brothers, with its speciality departments.

Old Navy is a mainstay of cheap strip malls everywhere. I stand by my comment that it is a disconnect in the Millennium Tower complex.

I would argue that the other retailers in the complex (not down the street) are at least destinations. For whatever reason, Primark is a destination store, and so is the Roche Brothers, with its speciality departments.

Old Navy is a mainstay of cheap strip malls everywhere. I stand by my comment that it is a disconnect in the Millennium Tower complex.

If you've chosen to spend your $10M to live at Downtown Crossing, it's because of how vibrant it is with people of all income levels. As was noted, you had other choices - One Dalton, 22 Liberty, the whole Back Bay and Beacon Hill at ground level, etc. if you wanted to be surrounded by rich people.

I get that Primark is actually cheaper, but Old Navy is just another thing for people to do in Downtown Crossing, and it's a nice-looking storefront, I'm sure. It can't be a bad thing.

Except in reality it's surrounded by the front entrances of the Hilton, Sheraton, 30 Dalton and further down, some brownstones.

Speaking of Primark: It looks like it is expanding into the 3rd floor of the tower. New wrap in the windows there this a.m. for "bigger better Primark in Spring 2017".

Speaking of Primark: It looks like it is expanding into the 3rd floor of the tower. New wrap in the windows there this a.m. for "bigger better Primark in Spring 2017".

I think they're remodeling, they were already in the 3rd floor. Maybe they got some more space

I think they're remodeling, they were already in the 3rd floor. Maybe they got some more space

Primark was already in the third floor of Millennium (not Burnham)? I knew they were expanding but didn't realize it happened already.

If you've chosen to spend your $10M to live at Downtown Crossing, it's because of how vibrant it is with people of all income levels.

Or, rather it's because you want to live in the newest/nicest luxury building in Boston (until the next one is built). I highly doubt anyone who shelled out $10 million for a Millennium tower unit chose to live there because of the mix of high end and lower end retail. The real truth is Downtown Crossing is only "vibrant" as a result of the tens of thousands of office workers who pass through each weekday. Sure, the area is seeing more activity than it has in the past decade or two but it's still fairly quiet once the workers go home each night. The area needs more bars, sit down restaurants and entertainment destinations.

I think the yellow building to the right in the picture is next to 319 A st

It's not exactly near to Boston, but a new Micro-Brewery is scheduled to open in 2017 in Scituate. It's under construction and will be a very short walking distance from the Greenbush MBTA Commuter Rail station.

http://untoldbrewing.com/blog/

In other news for Greenbush, there is an apartment and retail complex that should start construction in 2017 that will be almost next door to the new Brewery.

Full disclosure: I'm on the Scituate Planning Board, and we've worked hard to create a more pedestrian friendly, transit-oriented, village of Greenbush. (We have a LONG way to go, believe me, but it's getting there slowly.)

Back