The New Retail Thread

Tasty Burger will be opening in Avalon North Station.

(For the record, Tasty Burger isn't great. It's drunk food. If you're near the Fenway location, try UBurger in Kenmore Square instead!)

I recommend the chicken nuggets with nitro sauce. I like the burgers too, but yes they are more or less junk food. The nuggets qualify as real food, IMO.

^tried LuLu's Kitchen yesterday (Blackstone Block) which has been open for a month or so. It's excellent. EXCELLENT. Southern inspired breakfast and lunch. Great bagels, awesome biscuits and a lot of unique sides.

http://www.lulusboston.com/?page_id=103
I will second that. Their cheesy grits make for a great breakfast and their fried chicken is one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten.

I will second that. Their cheesy grits make for a great breakfast and their fried chicken is one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten.

I added bacon to my cheesy grits today. They didn't NEED the bacon, but it was worth it.

Anyway, I'm spamming this thread recently, but there's a "Sushirito" awning on the front of what used to be Blue Fuji on Cambridge Street at Bowdoin. It says "Sushi Burrito" on the front. So that sounds like good news (it's one of those food trends that's got me hook line and sinker). I googled it and it sounds a local guy is trying to open a few locations, but has run into some legal trouble with a California chain of almost the same name (Sushirrito- two "r"s in theirs). So I don't know where this stands. I was in the building (same space as Dunkin Donuts and Uptown Cafe) this AM and the interior looks exactly like it did when Blue Fuji was there- signage and everything.

Eater was last updated 12/20 saying that the name will be changed to "New Sushi, Inc." The website is still under construction. We'll see. Fingers crossed because I really want to try a sushi burrito. I'm so #basic.

Could have gone with Burrushi...I also want to try this

Two medical marijuana dispensaries are looking to open in Davis Square: "Garden Remedies" in the former Family Dollar space and "Sage Cannabis" directly across the street in the basement of the new grocery store / former Social Security building.

"Holistic Industries" is also slated for 304 Somerville Ave in Union Square and "CAS Foundation" for 67 Broadway in East Somerville.

[link]

Madewell is opening in the Pru to replace half of Tesla's old space. I wonder if their Newbury St. location will close?

Not new retail but look what I saw on a Dunkin in Jackson square
16298922_1263858940371884_5198574631570477084_n.jpg

today at south station, the Starbucks' chalk board had a note that said something like "Thanks, South Station. We will miss you"...looks like they (like Cheese Boy) may be on their way out...

today at south station, the Starbucks' chalk board had a note that said something like "Thanks, South Station. We will miss you"...looks like they (like Cheese Boy) may be on their way out...

Maybe they're making space for the SST construction.

Off topic but,that Starbucks was about a dollar and a half more expensive for everything than the shop across the street. Convenience fee, I guess.

Off topic but,that Starbucks was about a dollar and a half more expensive for everything than the shop across the street. Convenience fee, I guess.

Yeah I never used it. Always just walked across to One Financial Center.

And umm;

Just WHEN will something be put in that eyesore vacant spot where the Barnes & Noble store once was (2nd pic down in link, across Washington Street from where the Millennium Tower now stands?

That spot has been abandoned & empty since '06 or'09 when Barnes & Noble moved out & over to the Pru Center, and nothing else has been put in there since. It's a dark dismal & ridiculous spot where some of the homeless occupy the front constantly. :mad:

http://blog.abgllc.net/archives/3493

And umm;

Just WHEN will something be put in that eyesore vacant spot where the Barnes & Noble store once was (2nd pic down in link, across Washington Street from where the Millennium Tower now stands?

That spot has been abandoned & empty since '06 or'09 when Barnes & Noble moved out & over to the Pru Center, and nothing else has been put in there since. It's a dark dismal & ridiculous spot where some of the homeless occupy the front constantly. :mad:

http://blog.abgllc.net/archives/3493

It's going to be H&M. Talked to my "source" again at a SB party over the weekend. It's essentially a done deal. I'm not sure what the estimated opening date is, but they've signed the lease and it's a go.

It's going to be H&M. Talked to my "source" again at a SB party over the weekend. It's essentially a done deal. I'm not sure what the estimated opening date is, but they've signed the lease and it's a go.

Thanks.

Not one to complain, but seems that when a spot becomes vacant, that a plan should be put in place to get the spot rehabbed and something be put in there asap.

That way, it is not a long slow dragged out process in getting the space occupied with something new. :cool:

And umm;

We've been over this repeatedly, no need to raise it again and again. I think we probably have near-perfect consensus that we'd all rather see something done with it other than continuing to sit vacant. But as has been hashed over repeatedly:

It'll get filled when the property owners decide they want it filled.

A private property owner can let a space sit empty for whatever reason they choose, no matter how illogical the rest of us perceive it, and no matter how much the rest of us don't like the result.

Most cities have only quite weak methods to force action in such a case, and most are reluctant to use them, because they usually fail and reveal the city's weakness (and thereby harm political careers, however modestly). Mayor Walsh and the BPDA have way the hell bigger fish to fry.

ETA: posted this before seeing the H&M news. Outstanding! Now we can move on.

Back