The New Retail Thread

Interesting. They did have a store on Congress Street in Downtown Portland, ME but it closed a while back. So I don't know that this is technically their first urban location, but it will be their first in a major city. I think they'll kill it here.

Also, does anyone know about where we are with Tasty Burger at North Station? I walked by the other day and it seems like the site (I think the old pro shop) wasn't anywhere close to being complete and in January, they were anticipating a May opening. Asking for a friend.

Its in the Avalon building. I have looked in when the doors are open and it doesn't look like much is going on there yet. It looks like Avalon's construction is storing their scissor lifts in there still (which they have have been taking out to put up the lighting in the pedestrian concourse)

Num Pang is finally now open in the Prudential Mall, and work continues at Dig Inn next door.

Interestingly, the vinyl signs for Anna's Taqueria are no longer there and the walls have been painted white. Maybe they backed out?

Its in the Avalon building. I have looked in when the doors are open and it doesn't look like much is going on there yet. It looks like Avalon's construction is storing their scissor lifts in there still (which they have have been taking out to put up the lighting in the pedestrian concourse)

Ok, so I did walk by that spot the other day. First or second door on the left when you walk in from Causeway, right? I know it doesn't take a ton of time for these things to happen, but Tasty Burger is advertising May on their website and from what I saw, I'd guess July at best if they're ambitious. Probably later.

Interestingly, the vinyl signs for Anna's Taqueria are no longer there and the walls have been painted white. Maybe they backed out?

According to Anna's website, the Prudential Center location is still coming soon, but who knows. If they did back out, we should find out soon.

That's an... interesting choice for a retailer in Seaport. Somehow, I don't really associate Seaport with camping gear/apparel. A high-end "athleisure" store, perhaps.. but L.L. Bean?? Meh.

Really? I feel like 90% of the people in this town wear outdoor gear (Northface, Patagonia, etc) rather than conventional outerwear (e.g. a peacoat or topcoat). LL Bean boots are still a huge fashion trend with a years-long wait list. They are going to kill in the Seaport, as would an REI or EMS.

Bostonians are an outdoorsy people. I believe we have among the most skiers and hikers of any major city (I think Denver and maybe Seattle have us beat).

^ Yeah that and LL Bean is perfect for all the #basic people that are moving into the Seaport too.

Last edited:
^It's #basic. And I agree.

Also, and I don't know if this has been posted here, but there's a new restaurant/pub called the "White Bull Tavern" that looks to be coming to the old Purple Shamrock/Panera Bread space in the Blackstone Block. I don't know anything about it other than it doesn't look like a major corporate chain, so I'm happy to see something relatively original coming back to the space (although even Purple Shamrock was #basic).

Boston's not losing that worst dressed city in America title any time soon.

^ Yeah that and LL Bean is perfect for all the #basic people that are moving into the Seaport too.

I honestly had to look up "basic" in the urban dictionary. Are you saying that those living in the Seaport are:

"1. ...devoid of defining characteristics that might make a person interesting, extraordinary, or just simply worth devoting time or attention to,

2. Lacking intelligence and unable to socialize on even an elementary level,

3. Annoyingly frustrating because of the above?"

Pretty harsh generalization, no?

I honestly had to look up "basic" in the urban dictionary. Are you saying that those living in the Seaport are:

"1. ...devoid of defining characteristics that might make a person interesting, extraordinary, or just simply worth devoting time or attention to,

2. Lacking intelligence and unable to socialize on even an elementary level,

3. Annoyingly frustrating because of the above?"

Pretty harsh generalization, no?

Basic is a pop culture term right now. Don't think of it as the textbook definition.

FWIW, I took Data to mean exactly the definition(s) that jl326 found and I too think it was a pretty harsh generalization.

There is no "nice" version of calling people basic. Not even with a hashtag.

I was going more with the Instagram #basic - only people who can afford to live in the Seaport have high & disposable income, wear Uggs & LL Bean, take Tinder pix on the swings on the Lawn on D, etc...

The Urban Dictionary definition is a bit aggressive.

I was going more with the Instagram #basic - only people who can afford to live in the Seaport have high & disposable income, wear Uggs & LL Bean, take Tinder pix on the swings on the Lawn on D, etc...

The Urban Dictionary definition is a bit aggressive.

Your definition sounds pretty far apart from what I looked up, heh.

Anyways, back on topic, might be trying Lola 42 this weekend. We'll see how it goes. I've never been to the Nantucket location.

Saw a new proposed leasing plan for University Station in Westwood.

- Preliminary construction has started on the Del Frisco's Grille - apparently it's going to be a new prototype so potentially quite different than the locations in Burlington and Chestnut Hill.
- Hotel is nearing completion, a Courtyard Marriott

Supposedly they are close to filling the 3 major retail vacancies, as all spaces say "reserved" but not sure with who:
1. former Sports Authority space being split into 2 new tenants - any guesses?
2. BoneFish Grill - any guesses, hopefully not another chain? Perhaps the long rumored Buffalo Wild Wings? mehh
3. Orange Leaf - no idea?

The "village area" which is currently a flat, grassy/muddy area.

1. Brigham and Women's is proposing a medical office building/doctors offices mostly and it'll include an urgent care facility. I don't really understand that since Physician's One is an urgent care tenant that literally just opened across the street by the Panera Bread. Is this just capitalism and competition?

2. New retailers proposed for this area include: CoreLife Eatery, Blaze Pizza (Anthony's won't be happy), Dunkin Donuts, Lunch Box waxing center, and another space that says "reserved" for 2,500 sq feet.

Also heard a rumor that the Which Witch sandwich store is about to close...

Saw a new proposed leasing plan for University Station in Westwood.

- Preliminary construction has started on the Del Frisco's Grille - apparently it's going to be a new prototype so potentially quite different than the locations in Burlington and Chestnut Hill.
- Hotel is nearing completion, a Courtyard Marriott

Supposedly they are close to filling the 3 major retail vacancies, as all spaces say "reserved" but not sure with who:
1. former Sports Authority space being split into 2 new tenants - any guesses?
2. BoneFish Grill - any guesses, hopefully not another chain? Perhaps the long rumored Buffalo Wild Wings? mehh
3. Orange Leaf - no idea?

The "village area" which is currently a flat, grassy/muddy area.

1. Brigham and Women's is proposing a medical office building/doctors offices mostly and it'll include an urgent care facility. I don't really understand that since Physician's One is an urgent care tenant that literally just opened across the street by the Panera Bread. Is this just capitalism and competition?

2. New retailers proposed for this area include: CoreLife Eatery, Blaze Pizza (Anthony's won't be happy), Dunkin Donuts, Lunch Box waxing center, and another space that says "reserved" for 2,500 sq feet.

Also heard a rumor that the Which Witch sandwich store is about to close...

This might be better suited for the Westwood Station thread.

There still looks to be a lot of work remaining on the exterior of the hotel. It looks like they’re moving pretty quickly.

I hope they don’t put a Buffalo Wild Wings in here – that place is garbage. It’s bad enough there’s a Chipotle. I’d like to see a place like Anna’s Taqueria, or La Victoria (Arlington) go in.

This area could also use a gas station.

Back