The New Retail Thread

You do realize that virtually every "brand name" product on the planet has counterfeit versions out in the marketplace (lots of them). Buy from the lowest seller on Amazon, and there is a good chance that the product is either 1) stolen or 2) counterfeit.

Buy the stolen product and you are funding criminal enterprises. Buy the counterfeit product and who knows what is really in the Tide bottle.

Caveat emptor

I don't buy this argument. Why would a mom and pop store be any less likely to sell a counterfeit item than on Amazon? Mom and pop stores aren't some bastion of morality; they're trying to make a profit just like everyone else.

It's really tough to beat the convenience of Amazon for a lot of stuff. I recently purchased a vacuum cleaner and there was a specific model I wanted that was highly rated in an article that I read. I walked over to TAGS in Porter Square to see what vacuums they had, and they didn't have that one. So I ordered it from Amazon and it arrived in 2 days. When you want something specific, there's no more efficient use of time than Amazon.

The things I mainly buy in person at this point are groceries and clothes. Some stores have consistent sizing for clothes so I can order some things online, although I usually prefer to try things on. I really hate grocery shopping though. I do have Boston Organics deliver fresh fruits and vegetables every week. Perishable items are still tricky, though. I don't know if I'd want dairy or meat sitting out until I got home, even with a cooler. Although if Trader Joe's delivered, that would be amazing. I'd never have to go to the grocery store again. Maybe Amazon can buy them next :-D

M. Gemi is an online shoeseller that's opening a shop in the Pru.

I don't buy this argument. Why would a mom and pop store be any less likely to sell a counterfeit item than on Amazon? Mom and pop stores aren't some bastion of morality; they're trying to make a profit just like everyone else.

I am not suggesting either is immune to the practice.

Basic difference, with local Mom and Pop stores, you know who the proprietors are, and so do law enforcement who enforce anti-counterfeiting and fencing of stolen goods laws. They do get shut down (Like the store in Chinatown a couple years ago that was paying homeless people to steal goods from Macy's for sale in their store).

Stores in the Amazon Marketplace are faceless enterprises, and notoriously hard to police.

Suggest a split off into a general thread with a title like "Is Amazon the Devil?"

I am not suggesting either is immune to the practice.

Basic difference, with local Mom and Pop stores, you know who the proprietors are, and so do law enforcement who enforce anti-counterfeiting and fencing of stolen goods laws. They do get shut down (Like the store in Chinatown a couple years ago that was paying homeless people to steal goods from Macy's for sale in their store).

Stores in the Amazon Marketplace are faceless enterprises, and notoriously hard to police.

A large portion of things I buy on Amazon are sold by Amazon itself, not a third party. Easy to track that down.

Getting back to actual new retail, Mayhew Wine Shop opened up on Melcher Street last week. It's a great addition to what was a pretty desolate street front. From my one visit, they seem to have a nicely curated selection of both wine and craft beer.

Agree, it's really great. Hope more retail shows up on that street.

There's a brew pub opening up on Landsdowne street (the old Tequila Rain location) called "Cheeky Monkey" which I've never heard of, so I'm assuming it's a new venture. Hopefully their beer is better than Boston Beer Works but I'm not holding my breath given the location.

Mastro's Ocean Club has been open in the Seaport as of a couple of weeks ago. Nice vibe. Good views. Yummy drinks. Food.. good, but willing to give them a 2nd chance to see if it's as "great" as it's supposed to be.

There's a mini bon me always in PO sq park now...never a bad line, it's my go to.

Tatte (bakery) will be opening at 399 Boylston Street. Huge win for that block which desperately needs some help.

The Newton-based brewpub Hopsters is opening on Sleeper St. in a new 6,000 square-feet location.

Hooters is opening soon in Dedham near Legacy Place. Replaces Jasper White's Summer Shack, which closed months ago.

Man why can't they put one of those bon me trailers around north station?

Filson, Mr. Sid, and Bonobos are opening in the Seaport Square development.

Man why can't they put one of those bon me trailers around north station?

Haha, what... you can't walk to the Public Market (or Blossom St. some days)?

But I agree. Ideally in the middle of a permanently pedestrianized Canal St.

La Colombe Coffee will be opening in the Seaport Square development (Benjamin side across from Courthouse).

Bartaco (sister concept of Barcelona) is opening at 25 Thomson Place.

Is the Bagel shop in Watermark completely stalled? They've had coming soon signage up for 6+ months now.

Back