The New Retail Thread

La Colombe Coffee will be opening in the Seaport Square development (Benjamin side across from Courthouse).

Bartaco (sister concept of Barcelona) is opening at 25 Thomson Place.

We love Bartaco!! And Barcelona! Will this be the first MA Bartaco restaurant?

Haha, what... you can't walk to the Public Market (or Blossom St. some days)?

But I agree. Ideally in the middle of a permanently pedestrianized Canal St.

Ha funny enough I actually checked their website after my post and saw they had a location there. I had no idea!

Is the Bagel shop in Watermark completely stalled? They've had coming soon signage up for 6+ months now.

It's taking FOR EVERRRRR. Every few days the door will be open and you'll see construction people in there. But it's pretty much done from what I can tell.

Adddd the new Forever 21 in DTX that opened in April is now CLOSED according to BBJ. That didn't last long.

Update: A @Forever21 rep has responded: "The closure is temporary, based on a HVAC Maintenance issue, and our intent is to reopen soon."

https://mobile.twitter.com/BosBizCatherine/status/887751781975044097

They have signs on the door that, I believe, say something along those lines. I don't care for the store at all, but the quick closure of a major retailer like that would be a blow to my confidence in the area's ability to attract and retain major retail.

Haha yeah I found it strange that people were saying it was closed permanently. The sign on the door seemed very much like a building issue, not a business one.

1. University Station in Westwood is getting the new TJX concept, called HomeSense...it'll go in where the Sports Authority was, although there will still be about 12k sq ft left over for another tenant to fill..this will be the 3rd TJX store at the site, joining Marshalls and Home Goods....

http://people.com/home/homegoods-ho...dium=social&xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag mentions the Westwood location at the bottom of the article

2. Del Frisco's announced today that they have signed a lease for a Double Eagle (the "real" Del Frisco's) in Boston but wouldn't say where...any guesses?

Last edited:
just heard it's going into the Pru

So they'll have two "real" Del Frisco's in the Seaport and in the Pru-back bay

Grille concept in Burlington, Chestnut Hill and Westwood

In the Pru where PF changs was?

For Strega - It must be 10 PO sq where Boston private bank is...thought I saw a sign for a restaurant and new lobby there a awhile back.

2 observation on my most recent visit to Boston:

1. Is anything ever going to open in the old Barnes & Noble location in downtown crossing?

2. I saw that Caffe Nero opened a second location a few blocks from their first Boston store. Are they doing that well?

2 observation on my most recent visit to Boston:

1. Is anything ever going to open in the old Barnes & Noble location in downtown crossing?

2. I saw that Caffe Nero opened a second location a few blocks from their first Boston store. Are they doing that well?

1. The sale of the Barnes & Nobles building to a very large sophisticated retail developer for $65 million has been covered extensively on some other thread on this forum. If you're spending $900 PSF, it goes without saying you're hustling to fill that space ASAP, once all the renovations are made.

Here's just one of the many dozens of media stories about the sale. It's probably been--for understandable reasons--the most covered real estate transaction in Boston in 2017?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/04/20/new-life-for-long-empty-storefront-downtown-crossing/eVG8fCzv2N123hSxd3Y8cP/story.html

2. Cafe Neros are all over the damn place now. There are at least 9 in metro Boston when you Google "Cafe Nero Boston." So... yeah... I think it's safe to say they're doing that well.

Back