The New Retail Thread

I used to work at the Arsenal on the Charles and Casa de Pedro was on the campus. Aside from the days when they'd host a free taco bar in the 311 lobby, it was the most mediocre, insanely overpriced food you could get. It failed because it sucked. End of story.

HEADLINE: Datadyne hates food served by minority-owned restaurants; scoffs at price points set by hard-working minorities. "They suck."

See, I can write for the globe too.

On another note.. anyone know when Peter Millar and Filson are supposed to open up on Seaport Sq? I don't think there's been any build out activity on those sites even though the the window stickers have been up for like a year now.

Sit-down Mexican restaurants of the "standard" variety - by which I mean beans, rice, cheese, tortilla, guacamole, salsa/mole and fillings, in different combos according to the dish - never, ever seem like a good value to me. $15 for an entree that has all the same ingredients as an $8 Chipotle order, plus a $10 margarita. I hate to say it, but the upscale Mexican chains seem to somehow yield a lot better customer value.

Sit-down Mexican restaurants of the "standard" variety - by which I mean beans, rice, cheese, tortilla, guacamole, salsa/mole and fillings, in different combos according to the dish - never, ever seem like a good value to me. $15 for an entree that has all the same ingredients as an $8 Chipotle order, plus a $10 margarita. I hate to say it, but the upscale Mexican chains seem to somehow yield a lot better customer value.

Sabroso taqueria assembly serves beer and wine...delicious, great value, and cool space.

I believe that Blue Bottle Coffee has been opened now in the Winter Lobb.. Winter Garden in Downtown.

Yes Blue Bottle is now open there, and Red Barn has moved out! Not sure if/where they moved somewhere nearby or just closed that location altogether. It's a shame really because Red Barn is locally owned. Blue Bottle is not. (But I do like Blue Bottle coffee as well and am glad they are now in Boston!)

Yes Blue Bottle is now open there, and Red Barn has moved out! Not sure if/where they moved somewhere nearby or just closed that location altogether. It's a shame really because Red Barn is locally owned. Blue Bottle is not. (But I do like Blue Bottle coffee as well and am glad they are now in Boston!)

Hopefully they'll reopen their Faneuil Hall location soon, now that the HVAC work there has finished and the ground floor retail establishments are slowly returning. There isn't much good coffee in that area.

Hopefully they'll reopen their Faneuil Hall location soon, now that the HVAC work there has finished and the ground floor retail establishments are slowly returning. There isn't much good coffee in that area.

It’ll be nice to have them, but between George Howell in the Publoc Market and Render 121, you have good options a short walk in either direction.

It’ll be nice to have them, but between George Howell in the Publoc Market and Render 121, you have good options a short walk in either direction.

Not a fan of George Howell - their roast is way too strong and rather expensive- though not sure where Render is. I've been getting my coffee at Paul at Court and Washington since Red Barn closed for the HVAC installation at the beginning of January.

Red Barn in Faneuil Hall was my go to spot too, unfortunately I found out last Friday from a city worker behind the construction fence that Red Barn isn't reopening in that location. The first floor of Faneuil Hall reopened yesterday. I did not want to believe the bad news so I went inside to confirm and it's true all the tenants are back except for Red Barn.

I believe that Blue Bottle Coffee has been opened...

Tried it yesterday. The Rwandan single origin was outstanding and priced accordingly ($5.35, brewed while I waited, poured into my Contigo). I'll buy a bag of beans and make my own, thanks...

Not a fan of George Howell - their roast is way too strong and rather expensive...

It is expensive, and not for everyone. Check out the varieties from the Horn of Africa, delicious, and (allegedly) fair trade.

Swiss bakers has a now hiring sign on the smaller retail space at 1 Nashua next to Tasty Burger. Also Tasty Burger has added outdoor seating.

Fjällräven will be going into the Seaport Square development under Tuscan Kitchen and next to Lululemon.

In addition to Blue Bottle opening in the 100 Fed lobby, Bailey & Sage (salad place) and Aceituna Grill (Mediterranean place) will be opening later this year.

Also in the Financial District, an E Trade Financial bank?/office? is taking over the former Jos. A Bank space at the corner of Arch and Franklin Streets.

Back