The New Retail Thread

Honestly a bit extreme to go from 0 to up to 4 different taxes being levied on a unit. Also don't really understand the point of a state wide public registry for short term rental owners...

Didn't read up on the whole passage but figure that most AirBnB are pretty much hotels in all but name and not "short term rental owners".

Didn't read up on the whole passage but figure that most AirBnB are pretty much hotels in all but name and not "short term rental owners".

Correct, and there is a caveat that these taxes are only implemented for properties rented out more than 14 nights per year.

Also, not sure about Boston because I don't need an Airbnb around here, but in Montreal, LLCs formed and bought dozens of properties, put minimal renovations in, rented them out and essentially functioned like hotel chains. There's a tax for that too.

I get rooms that are effectively rented all year are really hotels, but 14 nights can be someone renting their Cape house for 2 weeks. Big difference.

Australian coffee company called Bluestone Lane Coffee is going in the space of former Crema cafe in Harvard sq. I really hope they have good coffee as Crema had some of the best in the area...

Express has closed in the Pru, leaving a massive retail spot open. I assume they'll break it up into smaller units, but who knows.

Really? I thought they relocated to the larger former Taza Chocolate spot.

... You're probably right. I actually didn't even turn around and look. I wanted a bagel and a coffee today and walked in the door and immediately noticed the vacant space. So maybe disregard my post.

What's up with that rumor of a Wegmans moving into Parcel K in the Seaport/

Confirmed that George Howell is still in the public market - they upgraded their space.

WEGMANS at Parcel K?!?! Omg.

What's up with that rumor of a Wegmans moving into Parcel K in the Seaport/

I can't imagine that rumor is true, Parcel K only has 18K SF of retail space, 12K of office space and nowhere to park an additional 500 cars. Also, haven't seen a project change notification. Shame because a Wegman's would kill it in the Seaport.

I can't imagine that rumor is true, Parcel K only has 18K SF of retail space, 12K of office space and nowhere to park an additional 500 cars. Also, haven't seen a project change notification. Shame because a Wegman's would kill it in the Seaport.

Yeah, the two most recent Wegman's to open in area are 120k sf (Medford) and 146.5k sf (Natick). If Wegman's were to open in 18k sf they'd have to debut a totally new concept; they don't have any stores even close to that small.

If/when the Seaport is to get a grocery store I'd think Trader Joe's would be the best fit. The new TJ's at Assembly is 12.5k sf; the one on Boylston in the Back Bay (which is the smallest TJ's in the world) is just 5.2k sf. They could certainly fit in 18k sf.

I suppose the seaport has enough parking to satisfy TJ’s. They persistently refused to consider Davis Square because there wasn’t enough parking.

Roche brothers has been opening up smaller format stores. They would be perfect for the seaport.

Roche brothers has been opening up smaller format stores. They would be perfect for the seaport.

I still don't understand where Seaport dwellers get their groceries right now, and particularly before the DTX Roches opened. Driving to other neighborhoods? Delivery?

I suppose the seaport has enough parking to satisfy TJ’s. They persistently refused to consider Davis Square because there wasn’t enough parking.

Yet their highest grossing store per square foot is the one on Boylston St in Back Bay, which has ZERO on-site parking.

Durgin Park can't close! WTF!

I don't want to hear about how "tastes are changing". It has been open since 1827. I am sure that tastes have changed a bit since then and they managed to survive that plus two world wars and a great depression.

Back