The New Retail Thread

The t-shirts at Urban cost $30. None of them are decent at that price.

Point taken. I guess it's still a decent store that helps the urban environment, regardless of what's inside.

SHAKE SHACK on the Common?! PLEASE! I have to admit, though, that I like both ideas. Too bad we can't have both. Giving one business a monopoly on the Common is a little unfair, no?

As much as I don't understand all the craze over the Shake Shack, I think it would be perfect for the Common. Get ready to wait 40 min for a burger!

?It?s a credit to our city that a first-class venue like the Shake Shack and others are interested in a significant investment in our future,? said City Council President Michael Ross, who has spearheaded efforts to revive the Common.

I'm all for Shake Shack, but this is a really pathetic sentiment, no?

?The Common House will undoubtedly put the Boston Common on the map in a way it has never been before, surely gaining the city national recognition,? Mills, a Boston College graduate, wrote in his pitch.

Hyperbole of the year? Nothing like serving food the city is already known for, at a restaurant named for the park it's in, to generate buzz...

The restaurant 'Cambridge Common' is several blocks north of the actual Common park, and on the opposite side of Mass. Ave.

As much as I don't understand all the craze over the Shake Shack, I think it would be perfect for the Common. Get ready to wait 40 min for a burger!

I was surprised the hour-long waits got a mention in this press relea... er, article. Those nimrods living across the street will use it as a reason to oppose it. Too many people!

I am sure glad that someone finally figured out a way to put Boston Common on the map!
Move over Jacksonville! World class city here we come!

This is amazing.

EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers Popping-Up in San Francisco and Boston
Posted on Nov 3, 2009
The EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers will be in San Francisco and Boston from November 15 ? December 14, 2009. Visitors to the EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers will enjoy a personalized introduction to EA SPORTS Active from our EA SPORTS Active Trainers at one of our state-of-the-art demo stations, who will show them how to create a custom workout specific to their fitness level and goals, as well as how to use the in-game journal to track healthy nutrition and fitness habits.

Consumers who already own a Wii system and want to explore the Active products further in the privacy of their homes can borrow either EA SPORTS Active Personal Trainer or More Workouts from the lending library.

? San Francisco Location: 39 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108

? Boston Location: 156 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116

Locations open:
12:00 pm to 7:00 pm Monday to Friday
10:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturday - Sunday​

This is something that has never been done before: an entire store for a single game.

Here is what the San Fransicso one looks like

4110698983_9c5aa8294f_b.jpg

That's a fancy looking store to be open for just a month and then taken down!

^^Fantastic!

Now if someone would do something about that building next door.

Oh, and Ron... I think the EA stores are just reusing existing space with very little retrofitting.

that looks like someone painted beige over a derelict garage from the 40s to rehab it into a storage company (basically the non-BU side of Comm Ave). Oh and stopped by Home Depot to get some sconces. Beyond the size of the windows i can't say its any great improvement. That second floor window is pretty awesome, I personally would have loved to have seen that logic work its way to the ground floor. Yuck. Reminds me of the nasty suburby condo facade on Salem Street from a few years ago--disconnected with its own self in favor of some over sentimentalized fictional "context".

that looks like someone painted beige over a derelict garage from the 40s to rehab it into a storage company (basically the non-BU side of Comm Ave). Oh and stopped by Home Depot to get some sconces.

Wait a second, that's my mother's idea of architectural design, except replace "derelict garage from the 40s" with "derelict home from the 80s."

This kind of remodeling is the contemporary version of putting up corrugated aluminum siding on urban storefronts in the 70s. Looks like it's meant to replicate a vulgar-PoMo shopping plaza in Natick.

It's not beautiful, but it's clearly a rather large improvement. The place used to be a bunker. Try to see it outside a strict architectural point of view and consider how even small timid changes like this allow the sidewalk to breathe. This rehab makes a huge difference.

2zN9j.png

Certainly an improvement. The rehab makes the 1st floor look taller, or at least the image of the rehab does. That image almost looks like a Photoshop composite... I've never noticed Summer Street's paving and those trees look so good.

Here is the only photo I can find of the building prior to the McDonald's facade:

003320-1.jpg

It is labeled as 101-103 Summer Street, 1948

Back