The New Retail Thread

now all we need is an irish pub. :D

On a similar vein, the former Winter St. Staples space has a new tenant. Guess who, it's an easy one!

Got it yet?

CVS!

Maybe they'll sell tear suppressants so it won't look like I'm crying about the state of Downtown Crossing.

You have got to be kidding. That is 5 CVS within a two minute walk from each other. Insane.

^ They're like Duane-Reade in New York. Since they sell almost everything you can carry on your body at a discount price, no one can compete with them. One-stop retailing, like Wal-Mart in the suburbs.

Did they close any other CVS in order to open this one? (A year or two ago, they did close a couple old ones on Washington Street after building a new one there. One of them is now a Verizon store but the other is still empty.)

ablarc: but so do Rite Aid and Walgreens -- neither of which have a single store in all of downtown Boston, though they are well represented elsewhere in the city.

There was one on Tremont St. I haven't been down that way in a while. It's possible they closed that one.

Ron, there is a Right Aid in Bowdoin Sq/Gov Center, if you consider that Downtown (a stretch at best).

I also wonder why Staples can't make it work in a downtown area surrounded by offices! They don't have any competition here and yet they failed. Meanwhile, they want to open a Staples in Davis Square.

^^ Ron almost all of those office buildings have all their supplies same-day delivered. It would need to be an extreme emergency to have to send an intern out to pick up a box of paper clips or what not.

Can we have just 1 of those CVS's in Kendall Square ... PLEASE!

cca

Amen! After Kendall Drug closed, no chain ever came in to replace it.

^ They're like Duane-Reade in New York. Since they sell almost everything you can carry on your body at a discount price, no one can compete with them. One-stop retailing, like Wal-Mart in the suburbs.

Duane Read is a complete rip off and I laugh at my NYC friends who frequent it for things you can get for much cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target. They are too lazy to drive to get their stuff.

CVS has been on a roll lately! They recently bought out Longs Drugs so now I never go a day in California without seeing a CVS, or at least a plastic CVS bag on the ground!

Oh, and I was on Market St the other day - you know, the world-famous one in Brighton - and I passed by that recently opened CVS. I got to thinkin' - Harry Mattison's neighboring 'hood is tragically CVS-deficient, so how perfectly felicitous is this addition to the Allston-Brighton retail landscape! No doubt he and his neighbors appreciate the ample open space (PARKING) when they trek cross pike to stock up on that sudafed or whatnot.

Last edited:
^That's great!

Definitely a need for a CVS in the Fort Point/Seaport area...walking to DTX for a birthday card is no fun this time of year...

Duane Read is a complete rip off and I laugh at my NYC friends who frequent it for things you can get for much cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target. They are too lazy to drive to get their stuff.

I'm laughing at you right now dude. You clearly have no concept of what living in NYC is like.

Has Duane Reade expanded outside of NYC? Do they have any plans too?

Little story about CVS:

They recently decided that they would be streamlining their stores and whatnot, and part of this strategy was to limit the choices people had for redundant products. Case in point: batteries. Went off to the Energizer guy, and to the Duracell guy, and said "Hey, look. We're going to pick one of you to sell in our stores, so we don't confuse our customers, even though we all just worked on making that custom battery rack that fairly displayed everyone's product." So, all in a flurry, the Energizer guy goes back to his office, as does the Duracell guy. Energizer makes their proposal, CVS gives 'em the old "we'll think about it." CVS gives Energizer quote to Duracell, Duracell then asks daddy P&G how cheap they can manufacture batteries, and gets the contract (or whatever it's called). CVS proceeds to tell Energizer they only want Energizer Lithium, because Duracell doesn't actually make any premium batteries. Energizer tells them to screw off.

Same thing happened with toilet and tissue paper.

Sure, just business, but a dick move nonetheless.

Yea. My favorite part was the part about the batteries

Back